Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for bombproof ultrastable slow 8m behaving like a 12

Forum for kitesurfers
eree
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for bombproof ultrastable slow 8m behaving like

Postby eree » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Youtch wrote:I am looking for a 8m kite (taking advantage of the discounts offered on 2012 models)
My requirements list for this 8m kite:
- To have bomb proof material and construction, to resist hard crashes and survive to waves trashing
- To have extended wind range from 18 till 35 knots
- To be ultra stable with ability to swallow very gusty conditions without moving
I totally HATE small kite as they tend to behave like mosquitos, flying too fast and requiring permanent baby-sitting any time you put some pressure on the bar. I prefer smal kite behaving like big kite, with more inertia and more noble behavior.
I don t care about one pump I almost prefer the simplicity of separate inflation points.
I don t care about freestyle at all, I am into free-riding and very occasionnaly into wave-riding?
Any recommendation that could match those criteria?
i hate small kites too, but mostly not because the kite itself, but because the wind i have to use it with. gusty and making nasty choppy water.

well i know a super slow stable and super tough kite from 2012. it is gaastra jekyll.

only thing you are not going to get all what you want in the one package. there is the catch - out of the bag this kite is:
-bombproof almost literally - '12 jekyll is probably heaviest modern kite i know, there is so much dacron in it
-it would have large windrange with certain condition
-and about the swallowing the gusts, again - certain conditions

so, the gaastra jekyll '12. imo the worst kite i tried ever (after switchkites nitro of course). they made it low wing profile fast flying kite, but forgotten to get it the maneuverability to help rider to achieve the needed air speed.
than it is super gust detector, thanks to its too back build bridle tow point.
so if you are feeling that you can tinker with the kites bridles, like i did, you can give it a try.

i changed the bridles configuration a little in order to move the tow point towards the LE, consequently enabling the more bar depower and lowering the gusts sensitivity, but the turns stayed still slow. i'm going to change the bridles some more to improve the maneuverability, but that is just me.
i have a 12m one that turns like 16m, is this should fit your demands?
may be freeride is ok, but how about wave riding with slow turning kite?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Looking for bomb-proof ultra stable 8m, behaving like a

Postby L0KI » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 pm

jkrug wrote:btw, i want one kite that flies perfectly in 5-100 knots, jumps a mile high, floats you down in a matter of hours, turns on a dime when i want it to, doesn't turn at all when i don't want it to, can survive a nuclear explosion, has both single and multi-pt inflation, is perfect for hooked and unhooked and in waves or freestyle. it's both a 6m that flies like a 20m, and a 20m that flies like a 6m. oh yeah, it also must make chicks disrobe instantly.
Funniest post I've read in a long time. :rollgrin:

Oh yeah, .....you must be talking about my new favorite kite.
EPIC JUDGE 8M C KITE.
It does everything listed above....even the chicks disrobe instantly part :greenlaugh:
Last edited by L0KI on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: Looking for bomb-proof ultra stable 8m, behaving like a

Postby pj sofine » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
jkrug wrote:btw, i want one kite that flies perfectly in 5-100 knots, jumps a mile high, floats you down in a matter of hours, turns on a dime when i want it to, doesn't turn at all when i don't want it to, can survive a nuclear explosion, has both single and multi-pt inflation, is perfect for hooked and unhooked and in waves or freestyle. it's both a 6m that flies like a 20m, and a 20m that flies like a 6m. oh yeah, it also must make chicks disrobe instantly.
Funniest post I've read in a long time. :rollgrin:

Oh yeah, .....you must be talking about my new favorite kite.
EPIC JUDGE 8M C KITE.
It does everything listed above....even the chicks disrobe instantly part :greenlaugh:
Oh boy! Think I'll try another brand :duh:
Attachments
old.jpg
old.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:11 am

The Judge 8 really is the most fun kite I've flown in a loooong ass time.
And I am one of those that normally prefers a 10/11 sized kite.
But it's not the slow poke that the OP is asking for....It's a bit faster than medium speed.
Turns so nicely around the wingtip with such smooth power, and it climbs perfectly.
Just has such direct feedback, reminds me of how much I liked some things about my old C kites.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 am

ozone catalyst fits your bill. its got a slow and fast setting. slow setting is slower than my 10m c4. but its still not ultra slow. I was flying it this week in 20-35 knots.

peterbjarke
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby peterbjarke » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 am

Genetrix Hydra v5 8m!
:-)
Peter

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:45 am

All kites are only as stable as the wind and the riders sheeting ability. If you want to slow down your kite, move the back line attachments farther towards the leading edge. If it is still too fast for you cut your bar down smaller. I know someone who uses a bar the size of his two hands.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 pm

NAISH BOLT or NAISH CULT

I've flown quite a lot of kites and I'd say the Bolt (Formerly called the Cult) is certainly the best kite for what you want.

I've listed the main characteristics below:

- VERY VERY stable (even in the gustiest most horrible winds it never falls out the sky)
- Slow turning (I've flown the 6m, 7.5m and 9m and none of them turn super quickly)
- BOMBPROOF : Naish reinforced the leading edge with aramid reinforcement to make it super super strong (I think they were frightened the sigma shape could be weaker but it's not)
- VERY smooth bar pressure throughout all the bar travel
- NOT good for doing huge jumps: This kite will jump but certainly not as high as other kites
- NOT good for big kiteloops: This kite will not catch you if you try big kiteloops (it hurts if you try!!)
- NOT a good kite for freestyle (You can still do freestyle but there are much better kites for unhooked)
- Relaunch is OK, (I would say average) but not as good as delta shape kites.

In summary - Perfect for beginners, or those wanting an easy-going kite that's super stable and OK for small/medium jumps, and general cruising, freeriding, waveriding etc...

Hope this helps

Dave

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Try a 7,5 bandit 1 from f-one. I really liked the original bandit. Lots of people didn't like it because they felt that there was a delay on the steering, but in my opinion it was more like a filter. Small motions on the bar were filtered out, but the kite still reacted fast when you really gave it a strong input.

My understanding was that the delta shape wants to fly straight, since it is a "stable" shape, i.e. when it starts to turn one way, it naturally wants to correct and fly back the other way. A kite with a straight leading edge will be more unstable and one with a forward sweep is directly unstable. Try looking at airplane designs.

However the delta shape therefore requires strong input to make it turn.

I think the newer bandits are probably less delta like, so they might have a different feel.

The original bandit was also really stable and had lots of depower. You could ride a 7,5 in really high winds without feeling overpowered. The 7,5 was nice while the 5,5 was a bit strange, so I would stay away from that one.

I think the best kahoona might be similar?

Another thing that I have found is that small flat kites are very hard to steer in hard wind because they are fast while at the same time the power delivery is very unstable. In my experience real C-kites with deep C-profiles are much easier to steer and much more friendly. They can be just as fast, but in some way they are easier to steer because you can control the power better and you can feel better where the kite is.

/Marc

Morres
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Gaastra

Postby Morres » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:23 pm

eree wrote:
Youtch wrote:I am looking for a 8m kite (taking advantage of the discounts offered on 2012 models)
My requirements list for this 8m kite:
- To have bomb proof material and construction, to resist hard crashes and survive to waves trashing
- To have extended wind range from 18 till 35 knots
- To be ultra stable with ability to swallow very gusty conditions without moving
I totally HATE small kite as they tend to behave like mosquitos, flying too fast and requiring permanent baby-sitting any time you put some pressure on the bar. I prefer smal kite behaving like big kite, with more inertia and more noble behavior.
I don t care about one pump I almost prefer the simplicity of separate inflation points.
I don t care about freestyle at all, I am into free-riding and very occasionnaly into wave-riding?
Any recommendation that could match those criteria?
i hate small kites too, but mostly not because the kite itself, but because the wind i have to use it with. gusty and making nasty choppy water.

well i know a super slow stable and super tough kite from 2012. it is gaastra jekyll.

only thing you are not going to get all what you want in the one package. there is the catch - out of the bag this kite is:
-bombproof almost literally - '12 jekyll is probably heaviest modern kite i know, there is so much dacron in it
-it would have large windrange with certain condition
-and about the swallowing the gusts, again - certain conditions

so, the gaastra jekyll '12. imo the worst kite i tried ever (after switchkites nitro of course). they made it low wing profile fast flying kite, but forgotten to get it the maneuverability to help rider to achieve the needed air speed.
than it is super gust detector, thanks to its too back build bridle tow point.
so if you are feeling that you can tinker with the kites bridles, like i did, you can give it a try.

i changed the bridles configuration a little in order to move the tow point towards the LE, consequently enabling the more bar depower and lowering the gusts sensitivity, but the turns stayed still slow. i'm going to change the bridles some more to improve the maneuverability, but that is just me.
i have a 12m one that turns like 16m, is this should fit your demands?
may be freeride is ok, but how about wave riding with slow turning kite?
Dude, your full of it. Maybe you have been setting up the kite worngly or it was fucked in some kind of way, but the jekyll is a really fast kite. You can tell by looking at it, or even better; actually FLY it.. anyway, racekite Jet from gaastra is based on the jekyll, its largly the same.

Return to “Kitesurfing”