Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha IDS malfunction

Forum for kitesurfers
IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha IDS malfunction

Postby IWB2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:51 pm

jteabird wrote:I have 4 (8,10,12 and 14 ) 2011 cabrinha switchblade kites.

Jteabird, yeah i think you confused readers initially as you stated you had the 2012 Cabrinha control system and struggled to untwist your center lines. As anyone using the 2012 system knows, the 2012 system couldnt be easier to untwist the center lines. Very glad that you have clarified the matter by noting you have actually have the 2011 Cabrinha control system and not the 2012.
As you indicated you only like to do tricks one way and so get twists in your center lines. The 2012 Cabrinha IDS system is perfect for riders like yourself who only know how to spin one way as you now can easily unspin the lines after each. If you have the 2011 system you want to learn how to spin the center lines the other way thus you will want to learn how to throw you tricks,loops, front roll, back roll on the other side. You will be very glad to have learnt to throw you spins on both directions.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:21 pm

IWB2, my Core Sensor bar (but also the old ESP) automatically untwists the lines at the next bar stroke after a rotation, so I don't have to mind about this point. Also, one bar fits all the kite sizes. I mean: the impression is that there are on the market far easier and safer control systems. Probably I have to try an IDS bar to understand why it should be better than other plain vanilla systems.
If you don't want to see all the video (marketing stuff), ff to about 2:50.

http://corekites.com/us/sensor-bar-video

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 pm

pmaggie wrote:Probably I have to try an IDS bar
Pmaggie,
Probably couldnt hurt to have some experience on the Cabrinha ids system which is being discussed so to add real value.

The IDS system came out in 2009 and each year it just gets better and better (as expected from any system). In my opinion a radical change was made in the 2012 bar where the center lines could easily be untwisted manually (especially great for the rider that only does tricks one way) , the leash attachment point would swivel around the chicken loop (great for those that unhook), the QR2 is even easier to release now with no more velcro releases. The chicken loop holds a more rigid shape making rehooking after unhooked moves even easier. The IDS system regardless of year ensures self rescues and self lands are performed easily and safely. As is the case in any self rescue and self land the rider should be fully aware of the procedure.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm not saying IDS it's not a good system. I'm just wondering why, e.g., www.powerkiteshop.com (one of the best european online shops) sell an IDS bar at 369 pounds and a Naish or North bar at 299 (Naish or North, not a "low cost" brand). Same for Ozone (290), Flexyfoil (249) and so on. Why it is much expensive than all the other brands? Do the rider have a real advantage with this bar in comparison with other more "simple" bars?
Just asking, as I told you I never tried one so I can't compare.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Pmaggie,
Probably a good idea to stay on topic so to help IDS users like JTbird figure out how to properly use their IDS system (2009 to 2011) when self landing/rescues. Your point can easily be addressed in another topic which i am sure will have plenty of debate.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

IBW2, sorry I'm actually helping as much as you did. You simply posted a link with a Cab advertising video and told JTBird he has no excuse for not having untwisted the lines. I'm telling him to try a different brand, that's all.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:24 pm

There can be a lot of pull when the kite is at or above the top of its windrange and in the U position, but I have been able to wind the lines on when standing. Haven't had to do it in deep water.

Usually when I finish kiting (2009 Xbow), I set the kite at 45 degrees and pull the centrelines down until I am at the top of the IDS line. It doesn't matter whether the IDS line is wrapped around the centreline or not when doing it that way. The kite nearly always flips over into the parked position.
Then I fold in one back line and wind the powerline/trimstrap etc round that half of the bar, then wind all 4 lines on as normal.

I'm a fan of the IDS bridle. I think Cabrinha took too many years to sort the bar and other problems out. They should have had a bar that worked perfectly in 2009. I'm using standard Nobile bars from 2008 on my Xbows. They have a 'through the centre' swivel below the trim strap and flag to 2 centre lines. The 2009 Cabrinha bar ends were too soft, so if doing a self rescue with some pull on the lines because the kite was in the U position in a strong wind, you would have to wind figure 8 style onto the back of the bar, which is difficult enough to do when standing up.

jteabird
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby jteabird » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm thinking of starting a new thread called " Cabrinha please free upgrade my 2011 IDS " It's like having a 1 year old car with factory defective air bags and the manufacture is aware of it. Rather that fix the defective airbags they tell you not to drive your 1 year old car over 5 miles an hour and you should b ok. Most beginner and intermediate riders can only do backroll in one direction. I remember landing my first backroll, it took me lots of tries and several days. When I landed it was the greatest feeling followed by the worst feeling that my IDS safety system now won't function if I need it because I can only do trick in one direction. Ronnie is correct that the kite will still has lots of power in the smile position if the kite relaunches after activating the IDS I think it's only appropriate that cabrinha offer free upgrade my 2011 IDS to one that will actually deploy. Thanks

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:The IDS has always been a piece of shit. The kites I have now use a similar mini-5th system, and yep you guessed it, it's a piece of shit! They can bind up, or worse, 1/2 depower the kite and start death looping.
I taught on Cabs for several years, and with self rescue being a big part of my lesson plan (daily deployment) it never worked. I rode the 2013 Switchblade, and the newer system is more complicated and still garbage. 75% of the owners don't know how to rig them correctly anyway. :thumb:
The problems jteabird mentioned with line binding are real, and technically can happen on any kite. I still think a single front line is the safest, followed by a REAL 5th line.

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
i wasnt going to put it that bluntly, but im glad someone did. i absolutely agree with you, i have consistently experienced those issues as well, and its no joke when you need to disable a kite and you can't. and its not confidence inspiring in the student either. (sorry you had to work with those bars they are a nightmare). great canopy shapes though.

i also second your statement about single centerline systems.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:46 pm

jteabird wrote:I'm thinking of starting a new thread called " Cabrinha please free upgrade my 2011 IDS " It's like having a 1 year old car with factory defective air bags and the manufacture is aware of it. Rather that fix the defective airbags they tell you not to drive your 1 year old car over 5 miles an hour and you should b ok. Most beginner and intermediate riders can only do backroll in one direction. I remember landing my first backroll, it took me lots of tries and several days. When I landed it was the greatest feeling followed by the worst feeling that my IDS safety system now won't function if I need it because I can only do trick in one direction. Ronnie is correct that the kite will still has lots of power in the smile position if the kite relaunches after activating the IDS I think it's only appropriate that cabrinha offer free upgrade my 2011 IDS to one that will actually deploy. Thanks
It can have a lot of pull, but as I said, I'm talking about when the wind has got too strong for that size of kite and you have to release it for that reason. The majority of times the pull is a lot less. The pull is almost exactly the same as it would be if you were holding the centre of the leading edge with your hand. The reason it feels like a lot of pull is because you are trying to wind on the lines. That's my experience anyway.

Return to “Kitesurfing”