Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can't get out of my oneil non zip wetsuit!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Can't get out of my oneil non zip wetsuit!!

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am

It seems to be VERY individual - whether one can learn to get out easy or not, based on experience from those having these suits for a while 8)

I have tried them but even after hours of trying different ways, it does not work at all for me - either impossible (as I am not very flexible), or at least so troublesome to get out of, so I will never have one of these :(

Getting in/out of the wetsuit easy and fast is my main priority - also the reason I often change from the 3/2 autumn fullsuit and almost directly to the drysuit (at least when I need boots, the wetsuit is out of the question) - and only using the 5/3 fullsuit for maybe one month typically...
As a drysuit is way faster and easier than a 5/3 IMO.

But agree - that non-zip suits ARE more flexible and fits better :naughty:

Just not usable for me :roll:

Different people different likings - some will never get used to non-zip, others have no problems :rollgrin:

:D Peter

Drande
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, O'Neill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drande » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Drande wrote:comoooon people...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... hNo5rwtlW4
It does not seem easy for everyone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qN5AxZ-tj0

If you are very deltashaped (and windsurfers and surfriders usually got really wide shoulders after many years - and most kitesurfers origin from these sports here), and you are not very flexible - so you can not reach with your opposite hand/thumb on the back/outside of your shoulder, you are :x :x :x

So despite knowing exactly how to get out, I have really difficulties reaching and doing it...

Then there is the COMPLETELY opposite model - the easiest one to get in/out of ha haa : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FFjlCp6II

:D Peter

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't know if this is helpful! I think I might be switching sports.
how to wear zipless wetsuit http://youtu.be/ziTjRZiCy6k

Kiterider44
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Santa Cruz
Gear: Oniel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiterider44 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:54 am

When I opened the package that my O’Neil non zip wetsuit came in, there was a warning on the inner package saying “DO NOT TRY ON WITHOUT SOMEONE PRESENT TO HELP YOU OUT OF YOUR WETSUIT”. I was lucky.

collider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 am

Tension is your friend. Pull as much as you can down waist and even thighs if you need to so it's pulling on the shoulders. Then work one (or both depending on the wetsuit) shoulders out, tension again if you need to and you should be good to either get both arms out, or get the shoulder hole below your elbow and ratchet one arm out. Once the first arm is out, the rest is easy. Newer wetsuits are waaaaaaaay more flexible than the old, stiffer materials they used to use. My first 6/4 many years ago was so stiff (and a little too tight) that I could never get it off without help.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:47 am

Two things. Ease the suit off bit by bit. Push the suit off. Don't pull. Think of it as giving birth. Women push babies out of small flexible tubes. It's bad when they get pulled out. :baby:

People have trouble get out of snug wetsuit because they're doing it wrong. You think, "I want to peel this wetsuit off." so you start pulling on it and try to get it off all in one movement. That is wrong.

The trick is to ease it off bit by bit. Get your head out of the neck (or hood if you have one). Ease the neck over your shoulder. Ease the other side over the other shoulder. Pause for a few seconds. Don't rush it.

Ease each side down a bit further. It's best to push it down. Don't pull. That just stretches the fabric and makes it grip tighter. It can tear the fabric, especially if you have long finger nails.

Keeping pushing each side down a bit. If you can reach up behind you and pull down a little in the middle of your back.

Keep pushing down until you get the top to your elbows. You might want to concentrate on one side until that arm is free. Push. Don't pull until your elbow is out and the suit is down to your wrist.

Once you get your arms free then push it down to your waist and down over your legs and feet. You can pull a bit gently but pushing is much better.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:50 am

Why not say it LOUD these things /front zip etc.../ are completely WRONG idea. They work so so for short people because opening for "folded limbs" is proportionally bigger. In case of big skinny guy /me/ its just plain ridiculous. You now need to watch video instruction to get in wetsuit ???!!! Common!

Also front zip is definitely more in way of free movement than back zipper.

What was wrong with back zipper anyway!

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 pm

was home alone when the suit got delivered and I really couldn't resist trying it... :angryfire: :cool2: :rollgrin:
That’s hilarious - a mate of mine did the same with a Finistere 6m hooded wetsuit...still makes me laugh

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am

I bought one of those years ago and took over 30 minutes to get back out of it. I sold it straight away and now use chest or back zip suits.

For the chest zips, to get them off, the zip opens from the left side and I am right handed, so I get my left arm out first. With a non-zip suit, I would guess that you get your non-dominant arm out first.

First, I pull the torso of the suit down as low as it will go. Then pull the left sleeve down over the hand. Grip the arm from inside as well, to pull the sleeve down lower. Once you have got the sleeve as low as you can, then you have to get the opening over your shoulder. Once you have done that, it's a case of getting that elbow out and from then on its no problem.

I often wear a lycra vest under the suit, but I don't know if that makes a difference either way. Sometimes, without the vest, it can seem like the suit is stuck to me under suction.

Return to “Kitesurfing”