Local Beach: Mokuleia, Kailua
Style: Freeride, Wave
Gear: Switch Element 13m, Switch Element 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Alaia Trick List

Postby Speedkillz » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I made an alaia a while back and it is really fun to ride. I too was daunted by the cost of a new board and the cost of paulownia wood blanks, so I just got cheap pine 1x3 boards from Home Depot. After I glued them together I planed the whole thing down to just about 1/2" thick, cut out the outline (1cm skinnier in the center than at each end), and carved out a concave like the Naish board. Everything came out nicely, but the board was way too flexy and weak (too thin) so I glassed the bottom with a 2" wrap up and over the rails. Nothing fancy, in fact it is kind of ugly, but the board is super fun to ride. It still has tons of flex for that "magic carpet" ride. I thought it would pearl super easy in the chop, but it just doesn't. As soon as I put my weight on it the board flexes and I end up with plenty enough rocker to keep it gliding along through the chop. For now I wax it, but I was to pick up a couple of leftover deck pads and stick those on for some more grip. It is a really fun alternative on lighter days and is always a conversation started on the beach in Kailua. Now that I think of it, I am going to head over there right now and get some alaia time!

Aloha

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alaia Trick List

Postby RalfsB » Thu May 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Speedkillz wrote:It still has tons of flex for that "magic carpet" ride. I thought it would pearl super easy in the chop, but it just doesn't.
Thanks for this post. I built mine very stiff, does not flex at all, so I need to be very careful in chop. At least will know how to do it next time.

Return to “Kitesurfing”