Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blade's 5th Gen Trigger - A brand new profile shape

Postby URSS » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:37 pm

@Ceasar :

I think your is a 2011 but difficult to tell only with the chicken loop's picture. If the bar is green, it's a 2011, if the bar is black, it's a 2012 (see above pictures).

I've made some tests on the 2012 bar and it QR releases at 11.5 kg (25 pounds).

I know there's a non mandatory standard that has been released in 2005 related to kitesurf QR systems : AFNOR NF S 52-503. I didn't buy the standard but from what I've read on the web QR should release between 5 and 10 kg. So 11.5 is slightly higher than the AFNOR standard. So your comment was relevant in regards to that standard.

Looking forward to test the new 2013 bar (see picture bellow). I will post the results once tested. Safety is very important and standardisation is the way to go to bring more safety in that sport.

It seems that the new bar will also address the points raised by WhidbeyKPS ''the swivel not being automatic and the chicken loop dangling when trying to hook back in''.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 am

URSS wrote:@Ceasar :

I think your is a 2011 but difficult to tell only with the chicken loop's picture. If the bar is green, it's a 2011, if the bar is black, it's a 2012 (see above pictures).

I've made some tests on the 2012 bar and it QR releases at 11.5 kg (25 pounds).

I know there's a non mandatory standard that has been released in 2005 related to kitesurf QR systems : AFNOR NF S 52-503. I didn't buy the standard but from what I've read on the web QR should release between 5 and 10 kg. So 11.5 is slightly higher than the AFNOR standard. So your comment was relevant in regards to that standard.
Hi mate,

The kite I'm with is not a Blade kite. That company uses the Blade bars (with different colors and their own logo).
You try to open this QR if you are being dragged and thrown around on the beach. Good luck (and I hope it will never happen to you or anyone else, except those who designed and released it to the public).

Cheers
Caesar

PS: @ Jinx - I live in Brazil now and purchased a North QR and I'm very happy with that.

WhidbeyKPS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Double Bluff, Locust, Hunter, Bayview
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Hatteras, La Ventana
Style: all aspects

Postby WhidbeyKPS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 am

Caesar wrote:
Hi mate,

The kite I'm with is not a Blade kite. That company uses the Blade bars (with different colors and their own logo).
You try to open this QR if you are being dragged and thrown around on the beach. Good luck (and I hope it will never happen to you or anyone else, except those who designed and released it to the public).

Cheers
Caesar

PS: @ Jinx - I live in Brazil now and purchased a North QR and I'm very happy with that.
It is too bad you had that experience. And it sounds like it was an isolated instance. Not sure of all the variables surrounding it.

Again we have put hundreds of people on that bar over the last year and have had zero issues with the QR.

All that aside I am so stoked for the new bar to arrive. Just a few short weeks now. I truly believe that this bar paired with these kites is going to strengthen Blade.
The psi is in relation to the size of the leading edge and struts. I had the new 10m out yesterday for a 3 hour session and was really impressed with how this kite performs. No stability issues whatsoever.

Super jealous of you living in brazil. Nothing but 5/3 wetsuits or dry suits here for the next 6 mos

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:58 am

Caesar wrote:You try to open this QR if you are being dragged and thrown around on the beach. Good luck ...Cheers
Caesar
P.S. I live in Brazil now and purchased a North QR and I'm very happy with that.
I would guess that generally many people cannot open any QR while being dragged and thrown around on the beach.
I really try not to jump near shore, so that when something goes wrong, I'm not on land in two seconds.
Hard objects are what is killing kiters, not that we can't drown in the water too.
When I got thrown on the rocks, there was no QR system or donkey dick, but I had a helmet and wetsuit on, so I made out OK, bloody but no huge deal.
Since then, I've tried to reduce my chances of that happening again.
Mostly changes in the way I kite, with how much power, where and how I enter and exit and where I ride while on the water.
The bars have gotten much better since those days of no release systems.
I have the Blade bar and no problems with it for two plus years now, ..it could be better but it opens fine every time, for me.
On the other hand, I have a Switch bar that is a direct copy of the North...the QR is the same.
Had no problem releasing it either, ..until I had to do it to get off the bottom of a shallow lake, and it was not the best either.
The best release I've used is the one that Ocean Rodeo has used for years.
Others have used that design too, but the names don't come to mind.
Point being, when the shite hits the fan, many pieces of equipment seem to not perform as expected.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 am

The old (red/black) Blade QR was exceptionally difficult to release... I'm guessing the 'other company' Ceasar refers to, is the same I was using. A bit of sand in it, and it was impossible.

yoav_at_blade
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego, CA
Israel
Favorite Beaches: Langabaan, Safety Bay, Julien, Kinneret, Ras Abu Lagon
Style: freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger, Prime and Fat Lady
Brand Affiliation: Blade Kiteboarding

Postby yoav_at_blade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

Caesar wrote:
I purchased a kite (another brand) which came with a Blade QR/CL. In July this year one of the flying lines got behind the bar during a jump and when the kite started looping, I wanted to trigger the QR but it did not open. I was dragged along the beach for almost 100 meters until my kite got stopped at a tree (the kite was more or less a write-off and after repair I sold it to a local for little money). Luckily I "only" had torn off meat and severe burn marks on my legs and arms and they kept me in hospital for one night.

Caesar 8)

Hello Caesar.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the QR, but I'm happy this didn't deter you from the sport!
I would like to start out by saying we are very sorry about your feelings towards the lack of customer service. We on the other hand feel we made extra efforts. As you said, you did not purchase a Blade bar from us or any of our dealers and therefore it was not our responsibility to send you a replacement piece, but we were glad to do so anyways. Also, you asked for the replacement part to be sent to Combuco. Right? Well, we sent one out to you and apparently you did not receive it. When you told us you did not receive it, we tried locating someone who is travelling there and could bring you the piece, but no one we knew was travelling there during that time. Through the whole process we were constantly in communication with you and I don't think any of your emails went about not answered.

Regarding the old QR mechanism used by the "other company": since that was not a Blade bar, we are not sure what kind of quality control it went through. All our QR systems are tested before leaving the factory. This specific company buys all the pieces separately and assembles it themselves. We have no say in their QC procedures and do not take responsibility for their products either.

One again, I am really sorry about how this incident panned out. Maybe it is our fault for selling some of our products to third parties, but I can assure you this is not an everyday occurrence and that our new Slider QR system for The Uni control bar works flawlessly.

You're lucky to be living in a kiteboarding mecca like Brazil. Enjoy yourself and I wish you many more windy days to come.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 am

I got 3 Blade bars (2011/2012) and this is my summary on the QR: 2 x the black U-shape piece broke, 2 x I was not able to release under load, several random "automatic" releases

I don´t believe that both Epic and Blade were not aware about this "little problems" during the last couple of years when these QR were sold.

for now I keep the bars as they are and will lead with the issues as they come, but would be nice if Blade was able to offer a replacement as Epic is doing

on a positive note - the kites are super fun and the local support always replaced the broken pieces no questions asked

pitty Blade do not offer a full C-kite

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am

yoav_at_blade wrote:Hello Caesar.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the QR, but I'm happy this didn't deter you from the sport!
I would like to start out by saying we are very sorry about your feelings towards the lack of customer service. We on the other hand feel we made extra efforts. As you said, you did not purchase a Blade bar from us or any of our dealers and therefore it was not our responsibility to send you a replacement piece, but we were glad to do so anyways. Also, you asked for the replacement part to be sent to Combuco. Right? Well, we sent one out to you and apparently you did not receive it. When you told us you did not receive it, we tried locating someone who is travelling there and could bring you the piece, but no one we knew was travelling there during that time. Through the whole process we were constantly in communication with you and I don't think any of your emails went about not answered.

Regarding the old QR mechanism used by the "other company": since that was not a Blade bar, we are not sure what kind of quality control it went through. All our QR systems are tested before leaving the factory. This specific company buys all the pieces separately and assembles it themselves. We have no say in their QC procedures and do not take responsibility for their products either.

One again, I am really sorry about how this incident panned out. Maybe it is our fault for selling some of our products to third parties, but I can assure you this is not an everyday occurrence and that our new Slider QR system for The Uni control bar works flawlessly.

You're lucky to be living in a kiteboarding mecca like Brazil. Enjoy yourself and I wish you many more windy days to come.
Hello,

When did you send the CL to Cumbuco? I never received it. I did not want the replacement sent to Brazil (for the obvious reason) and I wrote to you: "Sending to Brazil will take at least 4 weeks unless you send it via a courier. Brazilian Post is very unreliable and most likely the slowest in the whole world. :-( "
I gave you Toby's German postal address at the first instance and you wrote you had a problem sending the chicken loops to Toby. Then I reminded you a few times and asked when I would receive the replacement. The last 2 email you didn't reply to so I bought one here.
Anyway, no worries. I'm very happy with the CL I purchased here in Cumbuco from a North dealer and how it works.

It is good to see you improved your CL which makes kiting hopefully a lot safer and such accidents wont happen again.

Happy windy days there too.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:20 am

8165337987_0d457b2e7a_o.jpg
Testing the hang time on the new 7m Trigger.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Nice huge airtime dude!
RESPECT!

Picked up a 2013 9m Trigger last night.
1st impressions-
LE is normal looking. Not much thinner than 2012 12m I own.

Beautiful clean tight construction through out.

Bag is similar but more refined with a repair kit in an inner pocket.

All I need now, is wind. :dance2:
Yeeeeeee Haw!

Return to “Kitesurfing”