14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 am

Mr. D,

I have marked Dec 13 th on my sched and have told my clients that i will not be in the office that day. I look forward to seeing you in Cocoa in the OCEAN. I Am looking forward to trying your Infins. If the V3 can do what my Speed 3 21 does or equal my Dyno 18, I will order one on the spot.

I will bring my Flydoor XL and my Amundson custom Surf.

Kindest Regards,

14 T

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 am

14ToeSide wrote:Mr. D,

I have marked Dec 13 th on my sched and have told my clients that i will not be in the office that day. I look forward to seeing you in Cocoa in the OCEAN. I Am looking forward to trying your Infins. If the V3 can do what my Speed 3 21 does or equal my Dyno 18, I will order one on the spot.

Kindest Regards,

14 T
Hey 14, PLEASE try the Oxygen and tell me how it compares to your Flydoor!!!

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:45 am

14ToeSide wrote:Mr. D,

Kindest Regards,

14 T
Post a full honest review afterward, and make sure you bring your S3 and Dyno and fly all 3 back to back. Leave your bias at the kennel when you go, and don't pick it back up until after you post the review. :lol:

I haven't had a chance to check out the Dyno or the Sleeping Bag, and I want an honest, unbiased comparison. Mostly, I'm most interested in how it compares to the Dyno, because I like the safety factor of the ILEs for flotation and self rescue. But others will want to know how the S3 compares. We're counting on you! :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 am

Once again, FIXATING on the 2 knots. Just get over it and assume he said 5-6 knots. Perfectly reasonable, and who really cares? Let me restate Dimitri's claim.

Ahem... "It's a light wind kite. It can stay in the air in really really low wind. It can pull you across the water in pretty darned light wind. It's agile and fun, and it relaunches very well."

There it is, plain and simple. Please proceed in the discussion as if that was his claim. :lol:

Of course, I know that this will never happen, because people need something to nitpick, discredit, over-analyze and generally cry foul over. :rollgrin:
Over analyze? Again no need to pretend you are some kind of a victim here...this discussion has stayed positive and as long as you don't pretend this is some kind of a personal attack for calling someone out over a claim that could potentially get people in trouble. Maybe he just said it to troll us a little ;-)

Personally I don't care, I do understand that he is talking in generalities, and if this was an ad, I'd say it was probably just marketing talk, but he kind of wrote it to a guy here which makes it a claim...I do think claims like that might end up getting Epic in trouble over the long term. Has nothing to do with nit picking, but it is kind of like that racer that was on here for about 1 week saying he could ride in 0 wind for 10 seconds...it just doesn't work. Either way. I do not care either way. I am definitely open to testing light wind abilites...but I will definitely not buy that kite.

I am still thinking we should a "DaveSails roulette"....the best competition model I have ever heard...

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:50 am

tautologies wrote:
Once again, FIXATING on the 2 knots. Just get over it and assume he said 5-6 knots. Perfectly reasonable, and who really cares? Let me restate Dimitri's claim.

Ahem... "It's a light wind kite. It can stay in the air in really really low wind. It can pull you across the water in pretty darned light wind. It's agile and fun, and it relaunches very well."

There it is, plain and simple. Please proceed in the discussion as if that was his claim. :lol:

Of course, I know that this will never happen, because people need something to nitpick, discredit, over-analyze and generally cry foul over. :rollgrin:
Over analyze? Again no need to pretend you are some kind of a victim here...this discussion has stayed positive and as long as you don't pretend this is some kind of a personal attack for calling someone out over a claim that could potentially get people in trouble. Maybe he just said it to troll us a little ;-)

Personally I don't care, I do understand that he is talking in generalities, and if this was an ad, I'd say it was probably just marketing talk, but he kind of wrote it to a guy here which makes it a claim...I do think claims like that might end up getting Epic in trouble over the long term. Has nothing to do with nit picking, but it is kind of like that racer that was on here for about 1 week saying he could ride in 0 wind for 10 seconds...it just doesn't work. Either way. I do not care either way. I am definitely open to testing light wind abilites...but I will definitely not buy that kite.

I am still thinking we should a "DaveSails roulette"....the best competition model I have ever heard...
I'm not a victim, because I didn't make the claim. I only care about the semantics. Just saying that people are taking the claim out of context. It seems the original quote was 2-4 knots, meaning it was blowing 2 in the lulls to 4 at the gusts, in the strictest definition. I believe this was an estimate as D put it, so figure giving the benefit of the doubt and averaging it, we get 3 knots, again just an estimate. But people aren't getting their panties in a wad over 2-4 knots, they are only honing in on the 2, like he could fly the kite and go have fun at 2 knots. It takes half a brain to deduce that it was "knot" his intention to imply that. :D Give it a rest.

Why is it that you are open to test light wind options, but you wouldn't buy that kite, even if it did turn out to be the best option? Is it because you are all up in arms about the claim as you see it, not as it was? Or simply because you wouldn't want to own a light wind kite because you don't enjoy light wind kiting?

Myself, After testing the V3 against the Cab 18 XB, I don't think I would buy either one, because I really need boosts to have fun, and boosting 5 feet, and hanging there, whether it's for 1 second or 20 seconds, just doesn't do it for me. For someone wanting it only for low wind cruising, the V3 has it all over the Cab. If I did buy a low wind kite, it would have to have a big top end to it, because I would suffer some lawn mowing if it was looking like it was going to pick up, but I don't want to switch to a different kite if it goes from 8 to 15 knots. I have a feeling that most kites that you could fly at 7-8 knots would be freakin lit at 15.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Flight Time wrote: If I did buy a low wind kite, it would have to have a big top end to it, because I would suffer some lawn mowing if it was looking like it was going to pick up, but I don't want to switch to a different kite if it goes from 8 to 15 knots.

I have a feeling that most kites that you could fly at 7-8 knots would be freakin lit at 15.
Well said...that is why i ride the kite i ride (19)
Huge top end for a giant lightweight well constructed & balanced kite
At 18 knots...i can stay on the water if i desired...and still be in control EZ..and NOT freakin lit
To be freakin lit...which i tested...my limit was 22 knots ...i am 75kg...was on strapped surfboard

At 7-8 kn i ride with a bit of sinin & parkin...breakin even..in front of my beach
At 8-9kn no more sinin.....flying upwind...the jumping starts
At 6kn too much sinin...zero fun..going downwind...on my regular gear in ocean

At 5-5.5kn kite will stay in the air...no hindenberg

At our beach when wind backs down real real low..the last one to come in...is the SP3 21
Then me and my friend with Dyno 18 (about same low end)
And before us...those who come in (underpowered) are the 17M Turbine,core 17,INF V2 ?,etc etc

There is a world order out there...and size of kite/shape + LW construction matters

.................................. :surf: :sun: ..to prevent BS ......i say 8kn minimum is my low end for FUN........

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Mr. D,
Kindest Regards,
14 T

Mr.14ToeSide,
Will keep you inform to the exact date. Will be landing in Fort Lauderdale on December 10th and will rent big car for all these equipment I will be carrying for these demos. So for now will meet you in CoCo Beach. Make sure that "SupaEZ" is also there.
On another note, will it be possible to get also a 10 feet SUP in case the wind is less then 5 knots. I want to show you that you can actually kite in this kind of conditions on the INFINITY V3, but will need that SUP can't do it on the Twin Tip board.
Attachments
Renting a car for demos.jpg

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Supa HAPPY 4TH !! (of december) TO ALL......you just got to LOVE the Number 4.....

........................like in 4KN low end :wink: ..........................................................................

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Postby ChristoffM » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:33 pm

At our beach when wind backs down real real low..the last one to come in...is the SP3 21
Then me and my friend with Dyno 18 (about same low end)
And before us...those who come in (underpowered) are the 17M Turbine,core 17,INF V2 ?,etc etc
Looks like there are lots of big light wind kites at your spot? Where is that? Must be lots of light wind days. I'm used to people thinking my 14m kite is big.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:42 pm

.....I'm used to people thinking my 14m kite is big.
You are correct Mr.ChristoffM,
This is one of the reasons why I decided not to put a size on the INFINITY models. All you need to know is that It has the power of a 19 meter kite but turns like a 13/14 meter kite. And that is how it can generate its power because of its speed. So if you are looking into kiting in (7 to 11 knots) and have fun then the INFINITY v2 is your light wind kite. But if you want to test your limits and skills, then you can take the INFINITY V3 prototype and fly it in less then 5 knots but on a big board such as the SUP. But again this is not fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”