Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I need something for light winds. Please!

Forum for kitesurfers
FICO90
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I need something for light winds. Please!

Postby FICO90 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 am

Hey,
I've a bit of a problem. I've been looking out my window for the last two weeks at nothing over 8kts. I am going completely crazy. I am new enough to the game but already it has become like a drug and I need my fix.
Does anybody know of a kite that will even just get me up and free riding around the place? I am a student (about 75kgs) so my budget is fairly limited but I am not super tight either. Also it's Christmas so I might be able to convince the family to go all in on quadruple Christmas present.
Please help,
Depressed kitesurfer

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: I need something for light winds. Please!

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

8 knots is really light...you need a bigger bosrd and kite...
A big twintip like a door type or a directional will do.
For kites, look for race kites up to 2012 if new is too expensive.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

FICO90 wrote:Hey,
I've a bit of a problem. I've been looking out my window for the last two weeks at nothing over 8kts. I am going completely crazy. I am new enough to the game but already it has become like a drug and I need my fix.
Does anybody know of a kite that will even just get me up and free riding around the place? I am a student (about 75kgs) so my budget is fairly limited but I am not super tight either. Also it's Christmas so I might be able to convince the family to go all in on quadruple Christmas present.
Please help,
Depressed kitesurfer
I would like to bring the Switchkite Nitro v2 to your attention, pretty good low End, it is the Race and freeride kite, and propably will fit in your budget, it iw the newest version, 2012/2013.
Quality of Flying ,finishing and use materials are of the highest standard.
You may have a look at : www.switchkites.com see for NITRO V2 16 or14 m

Good luck !
Dude 8)
Last edited by naishdude on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Man google light wind kites which will direct you to a number of posts on this from a number of forums etc.

Also you will need to couple this with a board. My call for those light winds would be a sector 60 and something like a 17m edge. You could go a bigger TT I agree but you need to develop a lot of apparent wind at these wind speeds. There isn't a lot of power to pour over a TT rail.

Look into it. And...we all share your need for the fix man. Welcome.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm

If your budget is that constrained then you can just get a mountain board. Lightwind kite and board are expensive even here in the U.S. around 3k new. You say your new so are you taking in to account any currents, air pressure, or any thing else that might hinder riding in wind that light. I say this just because it might not be worth it in the end.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm

bro we all been there. the most powerful lite wind kite is probably the flysurfer speed 3 21m but at 2 or 3 thousand it's well out of the reach of punters like you or me. But even a 21m speed 3 will not get you going at 8 knots in typical conditions. My advice? Quit looking out the window and load up the van. There is wind out there go find it.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm

I have been doing alot of light wind shopping myself lately. Check all the posts on here. There is alot of good information.

To save money, you can watch for used kites. Timing is everything and there are good deals out there. Buying used kites (especially online) is kind of risky, but usually the worst you might get is a kite that needs some bladder work. If you are getting into kiting, you will have to learn how to fix kites eventually anyway.

For new kites, the Switch kites have the lowest prices I have seen. That does not mean you can't get a better deal on another brand though. There are always closeouts and demos. If you find a kite you want, don't just go for the online price. Call a few kite shops. They can sometimes get you a better deal.

For light wind boards, surfboards are the cheapest route. Big door type twintips are the way to go for light wind, and beginner learning, but they are expensive. Not many deals out there on those boards, but they work well.

Hope this helps. Everyone in this sport feels your pain when it comes to waiting for wind. That is why there is so much light wind discussion on here. Good luck with your Christmas wish list.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Please help,
Depressed kitesurfer
What is you big kite size now ?

Quite important IMO, as there are 3 ways you can go:

1. The most expensive - get a big lightwind kite and a lightwind board.
2. Get a big lightwind kite.
3. The least expensive - get a raceboard or freeraceboard and keep your current kite.

Depending on your current kite - but if you have a big 12m2 kite (for 75kg), you can actually ride on a raceboard EXTREMELY early, if you like that of course - and could be the least expensive way to get going in light wind - and also have fun jumping too (an agile kite and a board that jumps better than other boards) :naughty:

So #3 is also a solution (I have chosen myself) :thumb:

Waveboards are no good really, in light wind :(

:D Peter

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Westmozzy........

Since when can students afford a raceboard n 17m edge ???
Or was that just pimping again?
Sounds like a suspicous thread with 5knot makeup

Balotelli
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount , Dublin, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Murvagh, Donegal
Gear: ..

Postby Balotelli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Please help,
Depressed kitesurfer
Kiting as a beginner in the wind you are talking about is just simply not fun.

Achill can help that fix man. It does be blowing 20+ knots 6 days a week up there and its super safe for beginners.

Look at this weekend for example 25+ knots on the Saturday and 7meter swells :o :o :o Stick to the lake obviously :D :D :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”