Inflatable LEI Trainers

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Inflatable LEI Trainers

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm

They will fly fine, in a couple of knots (if experienced) :thumb:

If you go out with your 5 or 7 m2 kite, it can be flown in almost no wind at all - the smaller the kite, the less wind it needs 8)
Beginners always mistakenly think that bigger kites can fly in less wind - but it is definitely quite opposite.

In 8-10 knots they are powered so you can usually just "park" the kite in the air - so easy.

But in 2 knots it can still be flown, when doing figure 8s or loops - quite amazing actually !

This is not possible with big kites, 12m2 and up - they can not fly in such low wind....

So a 3 or 4m2 LEI (not a trainer) could be used, and then you have a kite for the windy wavedays too :rollgrin:

:D Peter

2000f
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SEastern USA
Gear: 2016 Liquid Force 3m Trainer Kite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 2000f » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:32 pm

I ordered a 2 line trainer by mistake. Glad I found this thread to confirm that I should return it since I haven't even open the package yet.

Still trying to find good beginner info about kites. Wish there was a kite shop nearby...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 pm

2000f wrote:I ordered a 2 line trainer by mistake. Glad I found this thread to confirm that I should return it since I haven't even open the package yet.

Still trying to find good beginner info about kites. Wish there was a kite shop nearby...
A 2 line trainer can be fine for learning the basics of kite control. That is, afterall, what it's for in the first place. We teach most of our students on 2 line trainers before we go out on the big inflatables. The 4 line inflatables are good if you are going to be in the water when you're practicing handling, but they can be easier to damage when crashing them on dry land. I do like the Ocean Rodeo React 2m inflatable trainer kite. It moves pretty rapidly, but it also functions mostly like a tiny version of a real kiteboarding kite, not to mention that it doesn't "taco" or "bowtie" like a foil does.

We're located in NW Florida, so not sure where in the SE you are, but feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to offer whatever help I can. Welcome to kiteboarding, btw! :thumb:

SENDIT!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 pm

2000f wrote:I ordered a 2 line trainer by mistake. Glad I found this thread to confirm that I should return it since I haven't even open the package yet.

That was your First post here ; and
WELCOME TO KF !!!

Bille

RETZ
Rare Poster

Postby RETZ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 am

I have found the small BRM Cloud kites to be great trainers for my 9 and 11 year old daughters. Nearly full depower for safe experience and they double as fantastic high wind kites. My girls use the 4m and 5m regularly and I use them regularly here in the Gorge and Oregon Coast.

2000f
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SEastern USA
Gear: 2016 Liquid Force 3m Trainer Kite

Postby 2000f » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 am

SENDIT! wrote:

A 2 line trainer can be fine for learning the basics of kite control. That is, afterall, what it's for in the first place. We teach most of our students on 2 line trainers before we go out on the big inflatables. The 4 line inflatables are good if you are going to be in the water when you're practicing handling, but they can be easier to damage when crashing them on dry land. I do like the Ocean Rodeo React 2m inflatable trainer kite. It moves pretty rapidly, but it also functions mostly like a tiny version of a real kiteboarding kite, not to mention that it doesn't "taco" or "bowtie" like a foil does.

We're located in NW Florida, so not sure where in the SE you are, but feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to offer whatever help I can. Welcome to kiteboarding, btw! :thumb:

SENDIT!

Thanks for the welcomes & the advice.

I'm on Lake Norman, just 30 minutes North of Charlotte, NC. I think I'll keep the 2 line since I already received it.

No beach here. Charleston, SC is 3 hours away. OBX is 6 hours. I have a college buddy in Ft. Walton, but don't get down there often. Sendit, I'll get in touch next time I get down there.

I was hoping to try kite boating here. I figured since it's a lake the winds wouldn't be as dependable as at the beach, and a boat can deal with Zero wind better than a board can. I've come to realize the boat will need a rudder & a dagger board (or some kind of fin) so it can go against the wind.

I'm stuck here for now, but hopefully will be able to spend some time at a beach sometime in 2017.

Return to “Kitesurfing”