Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Surf kite from Epic Kites

Postby pmaggie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 am

Hey Nik! Glad to see you're enjoying great conditions with your new Epic kite! Here in Italy on the lake 15 knots, have fun in your paradise...

Cheers

Paolo

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Poster: cleepa
The throw on that bar is much smaller than I would want for a surf kite...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . If I make the throw of the bar longer Mr.cleepa you won't be able to reach the bar when you let it go. Actually few people are complaining that the throw is too long and they can't reach the bar after spinning the bar. This is also one of the reasons why we have a RED STOPPER BALL, so people that can reach the bar by putting the stopper where they want in order to stop the bar from going all the way up.
Now if you are 7 feet tall with long arms and you think the bar throw is too short, you can always make it longer by removing the Neoprene that is just bellow the "Depower Strap" and make the "Grey Line" 10cm longer. It is as easy as this.
But one thing you should know is that the SURF kite because of its shape doesn't need much throw in order to depower it. But again this is why you need to demo the SURF kite before jumping into conclusion.
Attachments
DSC_2873 2.jpg
DSC_2896 1.jpg
DSC_0140 1.jpg
IMG_1947 2.jpg
G0310616 - Version 2.jpg

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cleepa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Dimitri M wrote:
Poster: cleepa
The throw on that bar is much smaller than I would want for a surf kite...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . If I make the throw of the bar longer Mr.cleepa you won't be able to reach the bar when you let it go. Actually few people are complaining that the throw is too long and they can't reach the bar after spinning the bar. This is also one of the reasons why we have a RED STOPPER BALL, so people that can reach the bar by putting the stopper where they want in order to stop the bar from going all the way up.
Now if you are 7 feet tall with long arms and you think the bar throw is too short, you can always make it longer by removing the Neoprene that is just bellow the "Depower Strap" and make the "Grey Line" 10cm longer. It is as easy as this.
But one thing you should know is that the SURF kite because of its shape doesn't need much throw in order to depower it. But again this is why you need to demo the SURF kite before jumping into conclusion.
Thanks, Dimitri. I am just commenting on my preference for riding - I realise others will not want so much throw. I ride kites that are designed to totally depower with just 3-4 inches of bar movement (the BRM Cloud). But I also run a modified bar that has 1m of throw. I am 6'2, with long arms. And yes, if I let go of the bar, I can't reach it. Not a problem - I have adapted my riding. Instead of looping the kite and then unspinning, I spin the bar at the same time as looping the kite. This takes a bit of adjustment, but once you do, it is a nice, fluid way to ride. So, a fair question would be: why have throw that you can't use? Well, I can just about use it all. When riding a left on a wave upwind toeside, once I lock in to the wave, I want to depower the kite as much as possible. In that position, I can stretch my right arm out a long way. I can depower more than anyone else I am riding with, and I am very often wishing I could depower more. So, for me super long throw is a must.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks, Dimitri. I am just commenting on my preference for riding - I realise others will not want so much throw. I ride kites that are designed to totally depower with just 3-4 inches of bar movement (the BRM Cloud). But I also run a modified bar that has 1m of throw. I am 6'2, with long arms. And yes, if I let go of the bar, I can't reach it. Not a problem - I have adapted my riding. Instead of looping the kite and then unspinning, I spin the bar at the same time as looping the kite. This takes a bit of adjustment, but once you do, it is a nice, fluid way to ride. So, a fair question would be: why have throw that you can't use? Well, I can just about use it all. When riding a left on a wave upwind toeside, once I lock in to the wave, I want to depower the kite as much as possible. In that position, I can stretch my right arm out a long way. I can depower more than anyone else I am riding with, and I am very often wishing I could depower more. So, for me super long throw is a must.
All the pleasure is mine Mr.cleepa.
So once again since you are a big man and you like to have 1 to 2 meter throw on you bar then the best thing will be to use the bar you are use to and apply it to the SURF kite. Or customize the EPIC BAR to the length you want.
The good thing about the SURF KITE is the bridle set up, which requires only 30 cm of throw on the bar to totally kill the power of the kite but still being able to steer it.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Is it just me or does this Epic surf kite look eerily similar to a 2010 Naish Charger...
Attachments
image013.jpg
Dimitri_03.jpg

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:03 pm

This observation has been discussed twice already, when the prototypes were on the forum and then again when the kite came out.
It looks like several old Naish models.
It also looks like an old North Rebel.
It also looks like an old North Vegas.
It also looks like an Epic Screamer
It also looks like any kite that was angular and pointy.
How he kite flies is a far more interesting subject. :D

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Poster: Da Yoda
Is it just me or does this Epic surf kite look eerily similar to a 2010 Naish Charger...
It's just you Mr.Da Yoda. These kites are totally different from each other. (see pictures bellow)
Attachments
DSC_0013 7.jpg
DSC_0011 2.jpg
Leading Edge shape 4.jpg
IMG_4147 5.jpg
IMG_4117 6.jpg
IMG_4097 3.jpg
photo 1 1.jpg

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:26 am

Oldnbroken wrote:This observation has been discussed twice already, when the prototypes were on the forum and then again when the kite came out.
It looks like several old Naish models.
It also looks like an old North Rebel.
It also looks like an old North Vegas.
It also looks like an Epic Screamer
It also looks like any kite that was angular and pointy.
How he kite flies is a far more interesting subject. :D
Looks like Dimitri begs to differ, but I agree that regardless of the similarities, it's all about how it flies. :thumb:
I haven't read through all of the pages for this thread, so I obviously missed that discussion. Sorry for the oversight.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:39 am

Dimitri M wrote:It's just you Mr.Da Yoda. These kites are totally different from each other.
Thanks for posting those detailed pics. It looks like a really nice kite. When I get some more time, I'll try to read more pages of the thread. I still believe this kite "looks familiar" if you now what I'm saying, but it's how it performs that really matters. Maybe someday I can try one. :)

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 am

Da Yoda
Email me at dimitri@epickites.com if you want to demo the SURF kite and see what this kite is all about.
This will save you some time from reading the entire topic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”