Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 Flysurfer Flywave review

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

2013 Flysurfer Flywave review

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Was on this board out at Roosevelt (Columbia River Gorge, USA) yesterday on an highly powered 12m with moderate river swell. The board is absolutely beautiful. It came with the twin setup so I rode it like that for a while but it was way to skaty and McDonald's-tray-like. Popped in the third fin and the board really performed well. Very smooth and surfy. I was surprised that at 6'1" and 190lbs I was able to jibe this board! Thought I found the perfect all in one board for me that will do everything as well as travel until I tried to boost it. The board really lacks pop and boostability. I was able to get some decent airs if I raced off of a river swell but that was about it. I thought since I can jibe it, maybe put bigger fins on the rear for better pop and boostability??? But I am not sure if this will help as it is probably the concavity and stiffness of the board and not the fins that hinders its ability to pop. Anyone??? If you are looking for a piece of art that you can ride and do everything but boost huge airs, this is worth a try.

JP

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 2013 Flysurfer Flywave review

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:19 am

SpaceRacer wrote:Was on this board out at Roosevelt (Columbia River Gorge, USA) yesterday on an highly powered 12m with moderate river swell. The board is absolutely beautiful. It came with the twin setup so I rode it like that for a while but it was way to skaty and McDonald's-tray-like. Popped in the third fin and the board really performed well. Very smooth and surfy. I was surprised that at 6'1" and 190lbs I was able to jibe this board! Thought I found the perfect all in one board for me that will do everything as well as travel until I tried to boost it. The board really lacks pop and boostability. I was able to get some decent airs if I raced off of a river swell but that was about it. I thought since I can jibe it, maybe put bigger fins on the rear for better pop and boostability??? But I am not sure if this will help as it is probably the concavity and stiffness of the board and not the fins that hinders its ability to pop. Anyone??? If you are looking for a piece of art that you can ride and do everything but boost huge airs, this is worth a try.

JP
For some reason I seem to remember these being compared to the Mako's... which are really stiff. I find with my Mako that more air is achieved by a clean carve and more leg work... or just riding out the top of waves.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

Kamikuza wrote:
SpaceRacer wrote:Was on this board out at Roosevelt (Columbia River Gorge, USA) yesterday on an highly powered 12m with moderate river swell. The board is absolutely beautiful. It came with the twin setup so I rode it like that for a while but it was way to skaty and McDonald's-tray-like. Popped in the third fin and the board really performed well. Very smooth and surfy. I was surprised that at 6'1" and 190lbs I was able to jibe this board! Thought I found the perfect all in one board for me that will do everything as well as travel until I tried to boost it. The board really lacks pop and boostability. I was able to get some decent airs if I raced off of a river swell but that was about it. I thought since I can jibe it, maybe put bigger fins on the rear for better pop and boostability??? But I am not sure if this will help as it is probably the concavity and stiffness of the board and not the fins that hinders its ability to pop. Anyone??? If you are looking for a piece of art that you can ride and do everything but boost huge airs, this is worth a try.

JP
For some reason I seem to remember these being compared to the Mako's... which are really stiff. I find with my Mako that more air is achieved by a clean carve and more leg work... or just riding out the top of waves.

Depends with the mako. If you are riding them as a straight TT the above is definetly needed. As a mutant with some side fins, you can load a lot more and a lot closer to a square tipped TT, but still employ some of the above. The difference in loading technique is very different with the two setups. If I want a carving wave session on my catalysts then its a straight TT setup. If I want a balls to the walls boost session on my edges the side fins go in. Easy. But you will never get the load and pop a straight railed squared tipped TT will give you. But then again nothing carves like these babies.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah i think its the trade off for rounded shape is flatwater pop. If you want that style of pop on the flat then you need a square ended TT.

BUT... I think you can hold more power on rounded TT's thats sqaure tips. so ultimately you should be able to ride more powered and boost huge.

Return to “Kitesurfing”