Gear: North Rebel 6, 9 and 14m
Underground Kipuna 5 8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Skater 4'8?

Postby smilli » Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Hello!

I`m thinking about getting the Naish Skater 4'8 from 2012.
It would be my second directional next to an Underground Kipuna 5'8.

I weight about 176lb and my kites are North Rebel in 6, 9 and 14 m.

It should be fun in small (maybe to medium) waves in the East/North Sea but I also would like to ride it in flat water. So I really like my Kipuna but for my car it`s quite big, so I thought I could better take the Naish in the car if it`s not sure whether there will be any waves at all, or when getting to the spot with somebody else. I almost allways ride in sideonshore to onshore conditions.
I only startet wavekiting some time ago but I love it so much that I`m searching for a board which I could use in many conditions instead of my twintips.

So my main questions are:
Do you think it would fit for me?
Is it suitable to my weight?
In which wind could I probably start? And when would it get me upwind well?
Is it fun to ride (even for a longer time or does it start to get boring soon)?
What are the best conditions?

So I really hope you can help me with these loads of questions :)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Skater 4'8?

Postby tautologies » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 pm

I dunno the north sea waves bur yes the board will fit and is really fun. You'll need a bit more power the the 5'8 but not much

The board feels like a skateboard and you'll lose interest in big boards. Id say it is not suited for big fast waves but works well in up to head high. It is awesome for flat water tricks too.

smilli
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande
Römö
Loissin
Underground Kipuna 5 8

Postby smilli » Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the quick answer :)
So you think it would work instead of a 134x40cm twintip fo example?
And do you think I should also consider buying straps or would that be only waste of money?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm

smilli wrote:Thanks for the quick answer :)
So you think it would work instead of a 134x40cm twintip fo example?
And do you think I should also consider buying straps or would that be only waste of money?
Yes I think it would work instead of the TT.
I have not ridden it with straps, but a friend of mine used his with straps all the time. The board is small enough for it to work, I just didn't see the need myself. No rules tho..do whatever feels right to you. :-)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

btw. I think this board is very underrated and I think it is a pity that naish droipped it. I am guessing it did not sell as well. It shouldn't be the first board in the quiver, but as a second board it excels....and I weigh 25lb more than you.

smilli
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande
Römö
Loissin
Underground Kipuna 5 8

Postby smilli » Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot, tautologies!! :D

Took a time to answer because I thought you may prefer hearing that I just bought one to that I would like to :wink:

But now I have another question:
I think I won`t get the original frontpad for it`s not available here, but I have a quite small one of 19x32cm. I wonder whether it would make any sense to put it on or would it make no sense because it`s way to small? Do you vary a lot with your front foot position? The pad is not too thick I think.

I know it`s a curious question, but for my Kipuna has a full deck pad I haven`t had these kind of problems before :wink:

Marty
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty » Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 pm

I have a 4'8" Skater.
My Main reason for the purchase was the short size fits into a NSI golf bag.
I rode it a few time on our flat water lakes and it's fun.
I just got back from Cabarete with the board in my golf bag.
I only got on it one day and it was fun, but twitchy in the choppy inside waters.
I'm not a great, or even a good wave rider, but it was fun in the Cabarete waves we had.
I would much rather be in my 5'8" 2010 fish, but it's impossibly expensive to travel with.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 am

smilli wrote:Thanks a lot, tautologies!! :D

Took a time to answer because I thought you may prefer hearing that I just bought one to that I would like to :wink:

But now I have another question:
I think I won`t get the original frontpad for it`s not available here, but I have a quite small one of 19x32cm. I wonder whether it would make any sense to put it on or would it make no sense because it`s way to small? Do you vary a lot with your front foot position? The pad is not too thick I think.

I know it`s a curious question, but for my Kipuna has a full deck pad I haven`t had these kind of problems before :wink:
That board does not come with front pads. I think what they went for it the surfboard style...actually I heard one of the richman brothers were prone surfing that board...which is pretty insane. Again, on the pad...this is just a personal preference, but I use wax on the whole board. I did not put any pads on it.

I don't think my front foot moves much back and forth, but it does move a bit side to side...I'm not exactly sure how much. I had it out again yesterday just for jumping. Super fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”