Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what size board do you use?

Forum for kitesurfers
JaZone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

what size board do you use?

Postby JaZone » Wed May 29, 2013 1:40 am

I was just wondering what size board people use , in relation to their weight.
I currently have a 133cm board which I bought from the guy was teaching me, and I weigh 140lbs.

The guy I got my trainer kite from , though , he recommended a 160cm board to start out on. I'm assuming it really would be easier to stay up with a larger board, but I just wanted to hear some different opinions on the subject.

Do some of the heavier guys use smaller boards so they can have more maneuverability?

NikoZe
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: what size board do you use?

Postby NikoZe » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

133cm board is normal size for you. But not only size matters shape is as much important. Large size board sometimes can have better maneuverability as small one. Different shaped boards behave differently so good old testing always will be the best way how to choose the right size and shape board for you. My weight is 80kg and now i have 136cm board but i also have tried 139, 140cm boards and they were good as well.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm

142x43.
82kg
width is more important than length.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:56 pm

I've had a lot of boards over the years. Guessing at somewhere in the 12-15 range.

Without a doubt I'm leaning more and more toward bigger is better, but there is a lot of difference between boards of the same size.

Went through the process of getting custom boards made to spec and in the end it took 5 over a period of a few years to really get it dialled in. I ended up on the biggest of the bunch. Again so much depends on rocker and other factors. I can find a board feeling way too big if its flat and the same size can become just right with a little more rocker. A little more rocker again and the same size can become a high wind board that is tough to get upwind on in light air.

At 175 lbs my favorite dims through much trial and error is 139-142 ish by 42-43

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 31, 2013 3:07 pm

77kg using the Brunotti Thumbs Up 130 x 40cm now :thumb:

Quite "big" regarding upwind and early planing, compared to other similar sized boards, but still physically small for freestyle and ease.

But remember - the "length/width" size says nothing whatsoever about a Twintip regarding light wind and upwind - it is the rockerline and outline that is important.

:D Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri May 31, 2013 3:37 pm

If you make your first board purchase your light wind board, you'll learn quicker. Then a second board will extend the range of your kite and be cheaper.

What size is a "light wind" board will depend on your weight. But for a TT it'll be wide, flat (not much rocker) and not so curved… as Peter said. Flex might be important too…

Being much heavier than the average kiter, I went for the biggest TT I could find with a strong wood core—170x50. My mid to upper wind range of the kite board is/will be 140x42.5. I struggled to ride such a small board my first year kiting though; the big board was so much easier to ride. But I wasn't doing much other than riding back'n'forth and trying to jump...

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

My light wind board is 133x43 from 13-22kts.
My high wind board is also 133x40 fr. 22+++.
The only difference is in the shape, rocker, flex and 3cm width.
over 200#

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: But remember - the "length/width" size says nothing whatsoever about a Twintip regarding light wind and upwind - it is the rockerline and outline that is important.

:D Peter
Sorry Peter you are wrong. Length and width has an obvious correlation to light and upwind performance. In particular width is very import.

I agree that rocker and outline are also important. Also flex. But you need to consider all the variables and not disregard "size and width" as you recommend. This is very bad advice.

So to be more accurate and not misleading

For light wind performance we look for the following.

Width, length, rectangular shape, shallow rocker, stiffness.

The widest longest most rectangular flattest stiffest board you can find will have the best upwind, lightwind performance.

But there is a trade off for other desirable aspects of a board. As an example the widest longest flattest most rectangular board will be horrible in anything but flat water.

To ride chop, which most of us do, you need to increase rocker, make the tips more rounded and add flex at the tips. This makes the board more power hungry, worse at upwind but a considerably smoother ride.

If you want to freestyle then you need a light board which means making it smaller. This reduces its upwind/light wind performance. But its not practical using a barn door freestyling.

So..... you can find a compromise for these factors which suits your style the best.

Me I want reasonable light and upwind performance but also want a super smooth through the chop and on the wave face. So I have a wider longer board than standard with more rounded tips. it has moderate rocker and is reasonable flex. It makes for a very smooth ride with great carvability while still going upwind aswell or better the shorter more rectangular boards.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

62kg

I ride a 137x42 with boots

JaZone
Medium Poster