Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Maui Kitebeach Issue

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Please note that all topics regarding the issue at Maui Kitebeach have been deleted.

It was requested by the locals who are standing up for us kiters and protect the access.

They informed me that it will be better to stay calm about it.

I am sorry if your opinion, comments, suggestions and frustration have been deleted, but it is for a good cause.

Our fellow Maui kiters will be in touch with me and any news and updates will be posted here.
For now, keep the discussion low and be nice. I need to heavily moderate this topic to not get any negative comments on here, who won't help our friends now.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Toby

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Maui Kitebeach Issue

Postby L0KI » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Thank you.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 am

You made the right decision. Thank you

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:50 am

Closing that Topic
might have bin a Good decision ; i'm hoping to go to Maui in the next few years, and it would
be nice to have a work-able plan for the kiters to coexist with the beach-goers by then.

It's NOT just the beach at Maui that should concern us kite-boarders ; there are other beaches
at risk for the same situation that's happening over there. The First one that comes to mind is
6-mile in Nevada. Lot's of swimmers, and just a Few kiters ; soon or later someone will complain
about those Damn kites being around all those people, it's the main reason i hardly ever go there
on weekends.

Do we NEED a National or World-wide club like the USHPA that represents the PG & HG pilots,
(complete with insurance) to help retain permanent usage of our kite-spots ?

MAYBE !!!!! ??

Face it --- were kind of a Minority here , when compared to All the swimmers on the planet .
Bille

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Been thanked: 0

Postby RichardM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:32 am

You know Toby, anyone who’s been around for a while realizes that stuff gets censored when the censor, or the censor’s buddies’, realize that THEY ARE WRONG and just don’t want to admit it.

I’ll bet lots of the readers here have been around for a while.

That said, you deleted my post which I was expecting to get at least some kind of answer to.

I highlighted a sentence in Taut’s post where he said words to the effect that kiters wanted to use the pond in easterly (apparently offshore winds) because they could then make a b-line through the opening and into the pond and thereby avoid the possibility of having their kite drop which apparently is likely if they come in elsewhere.

I want to know what facts I’m not seeing here. There must be some because what I see makes no sense whatsoever. From what I can gather, this entire massive, very unproductive battle seems to be caused by EXPERIENCED kiters, in the most ? world famous spot, blessed with beautiful, clear warm water but WHO DON’T WANT TO GET WET ? OR CAN’T SELF RESCUE for a couple hundred feet?

If they can kite into the pond, why can’t they kite to whichever side of the pond the wind direction makes convenient, and put their kites down in the water a couple hundred feet out and swim in? Is it shark infested? What’s the problem, how long will it take for their kites to dry, it’s warm and windy isn’t it? Are they so feeble and decrepit that POSSIBLY walking a little further than they’d like is going to cripple them? "If you try to come in downwind to the pond, your kite will fall in the water, and then you have to swim to shore or walk up on the beach from very far down with all your gear. . . . It's really difficult."

Likewise, if it is offshore, it should be possible to drift launch by swimming out past the swim area (actually the wind should push the kiter out so swimming isn't much of a problem). From the Google photos it looks as if it would be possible to swim out on either side of the pond and avoid it entirely for launching. Of course, this means they’d get WET.

I don’t think that it’s really too unreasonable to expect that kiters who want to go out with a less than ideal wind direction, which supposedly doesn’t happen all that often, should learn the basic and MINIMAL skills necessary to deal with their WEATHER DEPENDENT sport.

I REALLY hope there’s a LOT more to this situation and that it hasn’t been caused by a few selfish kiters that are so arrogant and incompetent that rather than cope with a slightly tricky part of THEIR SPORT, that they want to solve THEIR problem of being somewhat inconvenienced, by taking away the NON-KITERS’ legal and reasonable entitlement to a kiterless pond, despite that doing so effectively ruins most of the benefit the non-kiters get from the spot.

I mean, talk about BAD PR. Please tell me there are sharks, sea monsters, something.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:17 am

Richard, wrong about censorship. I thought you have been aroud for a while?

I will leave it to the locals trying to solve the problem their way...anything they think will be negative for them, will be deleted. Not my decision, since I am not there, and this is the way I can help for now.
Trust me, there are world's best kiters and most influencial people of the industry working to solve this, so all your ideas they know already.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 am

Hey Richard,

You can probably pm or email taut if you really want his response to your questions or comments.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks Toby for your considerate approach to this topic. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees with what you did, it is abundantly clear that you carefully considered a number of options, offered thousands of us a chance to influence your decision, and ultimately made a choice using your best judgment. Well done.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:03 am

Richard I can't tell you why it's such a big deal to kiters or swimmers but I might be able to help a little.

The west side of Ka'a point is known as the Pro Pool and the only flat water spot on the whole island. Let me repeat that... The only flat water spot on the island. There are tons of great places to kite on Maui but this one is special.

Now of corse there are tons of different ways to kite around the swim pond other places to go, or to just swim but that is not the point.

For years kiters have been using this spot and for convenience kited threw the swim area. Depending on the wind derection it can be required, but most of the time its just easier. Of course you could always just land a mile down the beach and just walk back. Would you walk a mile back when you could just kite threw the pond where everyone else goes. There are two other swim areas close by and they are roped off. For some reason this one has never been roped off. I would guess that is because no one cared if the kiters where there. Kiters and families have been getting along forever.

People love to join a fight and are now taking sides. There are more people on the beach now then ever. Everyone wants to be a part of it and often just get in the way to prove a point. What is the solution, I don't know, but I hope both sides get something they want.

Hope that answers some of your questions without taking sides.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 am

omg they are talking about actually behind the rocks - THE kitebeach slick?!!! ie in front of the picnic bench?!

Return to “Kitesurfing”