Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?

Forum for kitesurfers
poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?

Postby poldo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:43 pm

The Captain wrote:Nobody has yet mentioned the Flywave from Flysurfer. I am a Mako rider, and have not ridden one, so I can't comment. It is a specifically designed wave TT.
the big problem of this board for using in waves using wave : it's toooo small!

All mutant/tt useful in waves that work have more surface in the middle in order to go upwind well and plane in lulls and smaller tip to surf and carve well

About the material, given a data shape (this is in my opinion the core of the project), I'm not sure that the best board is the one with more advanced materials. expecially in waves and rough condition (on flat is another story). A stiffer and nervous carbon board could be less overally pleasant than a "simple" wood (or foam) + glass one.

About surfboard vs tt/mutant a lot depend on the conditions. Ocean kiters used to surf clean wave with 15' period are more likely to use SB, whereas us wind-wave surfer (of little sea or lakes) with waves of short period use more tt or hybrid boards

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:28 am

Agreed Polda on your last sentence.

Where I kite, the main season produces little swell, it is mainly wind driven with short periods.

Hence why i use a hybrid mako. Yet I still see many SB riders out there, just going back and forward on shitty waves that must only be there in their imagination.

Of course we all need practice in the smaller stuff to be ready for the big stuff, but we have so many days that aren't worth we still scratch our heads watching the almost wind surf procession up and back with little effect. Whose having the most fun, I ask again? Honestly most of the time it is not the SB riders, you are just TT riding on a SB which ultimately is sad in itself.

But those who are really pushing the boundaries are the strapless arial guys. I bow humbly to your skill and bravery.

The rest, don't put yourself in the exclusive superior class because to me you are well below a TT rider crankin it hard in the the small mushy stuff trying to push the envelope. Anyone can ride a SB when there is no waves, it's easiest thing to do!

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada
Been thanked: 0

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 am

The Captain wrote:Nobody has yet mentioned the Flywave from Flysurfer. I am a Mako rider, and have not ridden one, so I can't comment. It is a specifically designed wave TT.
I have a Flywave, and a directional and I had a Mako for a couple years too. The Flywave is an absolutely fine board. It carves very nicely, upwind is great, it excels at toe side riding, high quality construction, and I love the look of it. Of course, it jumps nicely too. Great playful feel. I've had lots of fun days in the waves and chop with it. Personally, I really like the size of it too.

Since my experience is between the Mako and the Flywave, I have a couple observations. In comparison to the Mako I find the Flywave more skatey, which I like for my style. The Mako seems to be smoother in the chop, no doubt because of the concave it has. That's not to say the Flywave isn't smooth though, it's just that the Mako is the Cadillac of twin tips when it comes to a smooth ride. The Flywave is also built for more powered up (i.e. high winds) riding, so the Mako is a little better in relatively lighter conditions. Although I really like both and you can't go wrong with a Mako, I'll be staying with my Flywave for a long time.

As for twin tips vs. directionals... Pretty pointless argument IMHO. Use what you prefer, what else matters? I get how you ride in the waves can annoy others, but that's a complaint with how you are using your gear, not what gear you are using. Reminds me of the old ski vs. snowboard debate.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:11 am

Better forget a twin tip for wave riding, you'll be way down in the pecking order,never have the chance to get in the " rotatation" ! :nono: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381720

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nico » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:18 am

Plummet, westozz, ..... and co.
Why all this agression ?
You been swallowing Testosterone tablets or what ?
All the veiled threats and insinuations do not impress me, and if you knew me, you would know that you are barking up the wrong tree.
For your enlightenment:
Our reef is + - 5kms long, it has a 50 to 150 meters end section that grinds OK good with semi connecting sections. The common agreement here is that TTs should stay clear of this end zone when wave boards are out. They can still go and do their pops, slashes and dangle moves all the 4,9kms along the reef. We still have tons of room everywhere for all sorts of boards and experiments, but the idea is simple, leave the wave riding area to the wave riders (wave boards).
No one here has a problem with that, so I don't see why you should.
FYI, You will always be welcome to our waters.
Nico

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:30 am

yeh fair enough Nico...enough of the testerone...but,

you say the 'wave riding' boards, then you have never seen me on a mako then...i cut it with the best and beat most board riders IMO (maybe because I can ride a 'wave board' as you call it just as good as the so called 'wave riders'). I can hold a line on the face and get as deep inside as most, travel down the line or fly and follow. I obviously wouldn't fit your paradigm of wave riding.

Honestly from where I stand your local rules seriously suck cock mate, but hey if everyone is okay with it then who am I to say? Who is to say who can ride and where! Farq that and honestly farq your rules, but again I'm not local so if your TT crew put up with that then I say fair enough.

Me and my buddies wouldn't put up with that kind of discrimination. It would be on like donkey Kong! lol :D

..and testerone or not, if that kind of shit creeps in at our local, which has a decent wave when it's on, well let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. :kiss: :kiss:

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:45 am

I think there's a misunderstanding about language, "no tt allowed" stays for "no kiter going up and down in the breaking zone" this is pretty much obvious where there are good and clear reef conditions. Everyone riding waves agree about this:
Nico wrote: but the idea is simple, leave the wave riding area to the wave riders (wave boards).

but the core of this topic is that the "wave boards" could be not only surfboard but also mutant or tt like Mako or other stuff. the important is to respect the precedence and rules :wink:

@Nico: would like to go there in one of next trip :D

Ps: I have a little surfing backgorund and understand well the problem of keeping the right rules in the lineup

PPs: in our windswell the main problems in the lineup are not the tt rider (that stay near to the shore) but all newbies strapless SB that in more challenging conditions keep loosing boards and are more in the water than on the board. but this is another topic....

I see there's another topic about this item, better here keep on going about "alternatives" WAVEBOARD

Return to “Kitesurfing”