we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Leash discussion

Postby we » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:34 pm

JGTR wrote:The joke is that most people who preach about board leashed still dont wear helmets, more danger from sustaining a head injury than being hit by your board.
Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm

we wrote:
JGTR wrote:The joke is that most people who preach about board leashed still dont wear helmets, more danger from sustaining a head injury than being hit by your board.
Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.
I agree, it is two different issues - leashes are demonstrably dangerous and the lack of incidents recently is because most don't use them.

Helmet: if you get knocked out something bad can happen that a basic swimvest won't fix. I wear a helmet primarly to protect eardrums and because it doesn't bother me, so cheap insurance against a random stone or board.

A leash + board is a seeking missile, helmet or no helmet. Lots of miss and near miss stories.

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Been thanked: 0

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 pm

When I lose my board, usually in waves, I just send my kite and pop myself out of the water about 5-10ft and look down. At that point i know where it is and body drag to it.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: Wainman Hawaii Rabbits

Postby whabbits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm

This site has some great arguments against kiteboard leashes but is also selling the GOJOE from Ocean Rodeo.

http://www.kiteboardleash.com/

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:40 pm

we wrote:Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.
The main reason for a helmet is hitting if something goes wrong on land and you hit a hard object. When you look at the statistics of how people are killed or seriously injured while kiting, it doesn't seem like a PFD would have helped many of the cases, but having a helmet would have helped a majority. At least that's what it seems like to me.

I wear both.

foxzone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake michigan
Favorite Beaches: hatteras
Style: freeride
Gear: Liquid force 2015 envy's and 2013 nrg's, blade fat lady,

Postby foxzone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 pm

I used to wear a helmet. I started to learn jumping tricks and hit water with speed. Helmet is adding resistance when hitting water. I had few time my neck strained because of it so I am done with helmet.
On land i use common sense while dealing with kite.
Never used a board leash. In light wind I don't have a reason to lose a board.
Otherwise you can body dragging easy, just practice it, no big deal.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 pm

we wrote:
I guess you've never blown a jump and come down head first with speed? The impact of the water alone on an unprotected head can easily be enough to knock you out. Maybe you're just hard headed? ;P

Further, I don't see why anyone would wear a PFD but no helmet. PFDs aren't lifejackets; they will *NOT* roll you over if you're unconscious--even if you weren't attached to a kite.

I wear an impact vest and a helmet. Both have protected me from either having the wind knocked out of me, or getting plain knocked-out. What other people do is their own business, even if I think they're taking risks I consider unacceptable. But if one of my launches were threatened with closure because somebody (nearly) died by not using them; I'd be pretty upset, and would become an insufferable blowhard campaigning for their adoption if it would save the launch.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see helmets and impact protection mandated for competition (isn't that the case for wakeboarding and most other boardsports?). I think it would go some way to changing the poor attitude some people have relating to safety gear. It'd also be nice to see helmets in more promotional videos.

In an effort to get back on topic and to address OP's concern about board recovery: The answers are already in this thread; put your contact info on your board and use a Go-Joe. A Go-Joe may 'get in the way', but certainly not any more than a leash does; and a Go-Joe can't wrap around your control bar.

There may be instances where it is worth the risk of a leash: Nasty shorebreak, current, cold water, light wind, etc. But for the vast majority of riders in normal conditions, there's no good reason for a leash. If you're that worried about board recovery, you'll have to suffer through the 'inconvenience' of a Go-Joe.

Any schools using leashes or advocating for their use deserve to be called-out for taking shortcuts in their instruction and compromising the safety of their clients.

foxzone: What kind of helmet were you using? I've heard this complaint before, but it only seems to be a problem on helmets with a larger brim which will catch water and torque your neck. I haven't had a problem yet with my WRSI, which has only a tiny brim.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 pm

foxzone wrote:I used to wear a helmet. I started to learn jumping tricks and hit water with speed. Helmet is adding resistance when hitting water. I had few time my neck strained because of it so I am done with helmet.
On land i use common sense while dealing with kite.
Never used a board leash. In light wind I don't have a reason to lose a board.
Otherwise you can body dragging easy, just practice it, no big deal.
I've never had a neck strain after 500+ sessions with a helmet, including some very strong impacts with the water on backroll kiteloops gone wrong.

The helmet does add some resistance because it has more projected surface area, but it also absorbs some of the impact. I think it absorbs a lot more than it increases, but who knows, at worst it's a wash.

My main reason for wearing it is impacts with hard objects on land. Using "common sense" is a start, but even if you do everything right, you can always break a line, get caught in a fast moving storm, get hit by a gust/updraft, or just make a stupid mistake. I know I've made a few stupid mistakes.

To each their own, if you want to wear a helmet or not. I just don't see neck strain as being a reason to not wear a helmet.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:58 pm

davesails7 wrote: To each their own, if you want to wear a helmet or not. I just don't see neck strain as being a reason to not wear a helmet.
+1

XMitja
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Xiamen

Postby XMitja » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

jbdc wrote: I guess you've never blown a jump and come down head first with speed? The impact of the water alone on an unprotected head can easily be enough to knock you out. Maybe you're just hard headed? ;P
this is a terrible argument, imagine doing a head first dive (feet first dive might hurt even more though) from the 10m platform, would you really want to use a helmet? don't you think it's strange that olympic divers don't use helmets?

the higher you fall from and the more speed you have, the more a helmet is going to hurt you

you can of course prove me wrong, just go to a pool and do a dive off the 10m platform with a helmet, just make sure to film it too for our amusement
Last edited by XMitja on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”