Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Forum Chat! Ask all your Flysurfer questions here!

Forum for kitesurfers
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Forum Chat! Ask all your Flysurfer questions here!

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 am

Where can I buy an original Sonic FR depower line. I went to your site, but it is NOT for sale. I need to replace a depower line as it is already badly worn and I only have the kite for less than a year. So 3 questions:
1. Where can I buy it?
2. Why did it wear so quickly. None of my other bars have the problem so severe.
3. Can you post a length and width of the depower line, so I can make my own, in case you are NOT selling this part.

-D.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 am

Flysurfer when are u gonna let your dealers/resellers discount the lotus kite. the kite is a few years old already and they are still trying to sell them at full value. Isnt it customary to discount older kites to make way for new stock. May be they are not aware tht speed 5 is out already. :lol:

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

In case someone offers you a Sonic 15 of dubious origin

Postby alexrider » Mon May 09, 2016 11:19 am

Missing: my demo Sonic FR 15 hardly used, in its black bag.
Colour: black, with orange and white fringes.
Serial no. FKSO015OR-3915-44238 (might be removed!)
The most probable places it might have been "unloaded" from my car on Pranburi or Hua Hin (Thailand) beach about 10 days ago. It could be anywhere in the world by now.
Thank you for any leads, and sorry for posting something not strictly on topic.
Alex

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Mon May 09, 2016 3:40 pm

I have both Speed and Boost2 kites and often use the same bars. I am attaching the lines to the kites each time I am riding. I keep the Speed lines from getting tangled by using a short little line with loops on each end, I just use a larks head knot on each side. I just hold the front and rear lines together and put a larks head knot around both of them on each side and this works really well.

My question is does the loop on the end of the flying lines get worn out from taking it off the kite and putting it back on the kite each time I fly. I have not had a problem yet but it does seem like it would wear after awhile. I have seen other companies use a little pig tail line with a loop on the end, attach that to the end of the flying lines once and use that to secure the kite to the lines.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Tue May 10, 2016 5:47 am

sedluk wrote:
My question is does the loop on the end of the flying lines get worn out from taking it off the kite and putting it back on the kite each time I fly. I have not had a problem yet but it does seem like it would wear after awhile. I have seen other companies use a little pig tail line with a loop on the end, attach that to the end of the flying lines once and use that to secure the kite to the lines.
Yes they do. I replaced the kite side lines with a set of standard flying line pig tails each with knots in them and added a set of universal pig tails on my flying lines so my bars work with any kite.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Let me answer some question:
Any news on the next gen splitboards?
We are finalysing it. It will come end of this sommer in 2 sizes, wich will be a bit smaller than before.
Where can I buy an original Sonic FR depower line. I went to your site, but it is NOT for sale. I need to replace a depower line as it is already badly worn and I only have the kite for less than a year. So 3 questions:
1. Where can I buy it?
2. Why did it wear so quickly. None of my other bars have the problem so severe.
3. Can you post a length and width of the depower line, so I can make my own, in case you are NOT selling this part.
Some spareparts are not online listed in our shop. But like everything, the depowerrope can be ordered directly at info@flysurfer.com or +498641694830. BTW. Every Airstyle Bar has a spare depower rope. As we use the automatic infinity untwisting, the wear at the depowerropes is higher than at other solutions but don´t spin out itself.
Flysurfer when are u gonna let your dealers/resellers discount the lotus kite.
Our philosophy is to produce value products. If we discount even older products, we will reduce the value of used customer kites. We try to avoid that as good as possible. But it is up to you, to get a good deal with our shop.

We use quite stong lines, to have room for aging/wear. We have statistics, where the line breaks and it is well balances, if it really snaps. I just would avoid to have sand between the connection and pull it tight before launching.
The Problem of bigger Pig tails is, that they easy catch a thin bridle which can be dangerous at launch or make relaunching impossible and will result to a swim. Even a death spiral can be possible.
We extended the Mixer, to get more away from the bridles to improve catching of bridles even more and to avoid the death spiral. If someone wants to add pigtails, we can do it. But from our experience, that is the safe solution.

Good Luck to Alexrider to get back his Sonic!

Thank you, Armin

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue May 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Armin Harich wrote: Our philosophy is to produce value products. If we discount even older products, we will reduce the value of used customer kites. We try to avoid that as good as possible. But it is up to you, to get a good deal with our shop.
Yes because artificially raising prices equals value and people love haggling. puke!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue May 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Armin Harich wrote:Let me answer some question:
Any news on the next gen splitboards?
We are finalysing it. It will come end of this sommer in 2 sizes, wich will be a bit smaller than before.
Can we get any more details on it? I'm driving a motorcycle from USA to Argentina this fall and am bringing a Sonic 11m and flysplit, and kiteboarding down the coast on the way. I would like to see what new features it will have and if it will be worth selling my old splitboard for.

=Jason-

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 pm

foilholio wrote:Yes because artificially raising prices equals value and people love haggling. puke!
You misunderstand his point...if they were to authorize dealers to sell new-old-stock at super low prices, everyone out there trying to sell a used Flysurfer kite would have to compete against the discounted price point of that new-old-stock from retailers. By not deeply discounting "clearance" merchandise, they are protecting kite owners from a significant loss in value of their purchase.

Example:

You pay $2200 for a brand new FS kite. 2 years later you try to sell it for $1500 only to find out that the same exact kite now sells brand-new for $1600. You now have to discount your kite way below "fair market value" because the manufacturer cleared out a huge amount of their stock through a bulk discount.

This exact thing happened with Spotz foils recently...they put all their Spotz 2's on deep discount and sold them for $1200 in anticipation of the new Spotz 3 Tuna being released. Now nobody can sell their used Spotz 2 for more than $1200 bucks because that's the latest "brand new" price set by the manufacturer. It deepens the discount Spotz 2 owners are forced to offer customers to sell their used gear.

This is Flysurfer's way of saying, "we'd rather have unsold full-price inventory at our distributors than flood the used market with deeply discounted new-old-stock."

The other thing that happens if they authorize deep discounts on outdated models is that the new stuff won't sell well. For example:

If you assume a new-old-stock 2014 Speed 4 goes for $1600 (making that number up) during a manufacturer's clearance, the brand new 2016 Speed 5 that goes for $2400 will never sell. If the new kite is 10% better than the old one but it's 33% more expensive, nobody is going to buy it. If the new kite is 10% better than the old kite and it's 5% more expensive, it'll sell great! I recognize that it's super hard to quantify improvement of a kite from model year to model year in terms of "% of quality improvement" but I hope you get the point...things have to sell for a reasonable price or else the whole pricing model implodes and the brand can end up in serious trouble in terms of revenue and cash flow. This is business 101 type stuff and unfortunately for the consumer, we have to keep Flysurfer in business or else they'll stop making the kites we all know and love ;-)

This also highlights the inherent value of kite businesses doing manufacturer-to-consumer direct sales without a distribution network in place. If the kite designer can just ship direct to the customer from their manufacturing location, they cut out all the variability of their pricing model and can also drive the business towards more of a "just in time" supply model to reduce overhead and stocking fees to keep inventory in the hands of their distributors. The typical complaint of this business model is that customer service goes down because the manufacturer is handling the sales and customer support side of things. A big advantage of this business model is cheaper kites and more direct communication between the designer/manufacturer and the customer; if a company scales their business model correctly, this is a huge win because they can incorporate customer feedback and complaints into their product development efforts more directly and hopefully match their product offering to what the market demands more accurately.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 am

Lets ignore the fact that what you and flysurfer is discussing is illegal, price fixing under EU law and all. I do understand it completely. Basically it means flysurfer sold for high prices in the past and so must continue so. It's sad but if you adopt early you pay more and you won't recover it. The second part is you can get cheaper prices on flysurfer gear but you must negotiate it with a reseller. That would be why I could buy new flysurfer kites for less than the second hand kites on flysurfers website. Similar deals can be had for all brands but knowing the right people is key. I have friends that sell 1 year old used kites for more than they payed new. Personally it's all great except flysurfer no longer makes kites I like to use and I can get kites even cheaper thru Pansh. I do wonder about the intelligence or fairness of the whole thing though. Allotting as much or more profit to the people who resell your gear? One of the biggest complaints about flysurfers is their price, I wonder how many more people would own one if the price was half what is advertised. The same can be said for most any gear. Anyway there is lots of other brands doing foils now and I am sure more and more will abandon resellers as they get out maneuvered by competitors that do. Flysurfer can't even implement a fully working adjustment system for their kites after so many years of using the same system. There is certainly room for new ideas.

Factory to doorstep is the future. Adopt or perish.

Return to “Kitesurfing”