North Rebel 2014

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Rebel 2014

Postby omg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:44 am

CapatainJ wrote:
sarc wrote:
CapatainJ wrote:I was going to buy a quiver of 2014 Rebels.

There are three things that put me off in the end, right at the last minute.

1) I found that my 2012 Rebels lacked the power and low down grunt to ride a twin tip in waves. However I loved the depower and feel of the kite so was unsure of where to go. I know North say that they have improved the bottom end power but it was still unlikely to suit my needs. So I thought EVOs would be the better bet.

2) Pricing from North. To be be blunt, here in the u.k, they are price fixing. They have told dealers, I've been told by two outlets first hand, that there are no deals to be done on kites. This is known as price fixing, North reps if you are reading, you need to tread extremely carefully adopting this approach. The fine is usually 10% of the company's turnover.

3) getting closer to my final decision I noticed a few issues with the quality of the Norths kit. Including the very fast wear of the depower lines on my 2013 Trust Bar, reading about premature wear on fuses on the leading edge. A bad experience with North windsurfing kit, their Shox system. A friend who runs a North school complaint about premature wear on lines and bars.

The long and short is that with all that negative stuff and there general vibe I've decied to avoid North and ended up buying Wainman Rabbits. They do exactly what I wanted and I got a good deal.

Just my opinion but I'm guessing others are feeling the same.
1) must be that you had the bar setup wrong. 2012 Rebels are really powerful.

Very much agree with 2) and 3)
I had them set to perfection, they don't drift with that much power, or not as much as say an EVO.
when drifting, kite basically does not have power at all... If it has, it's not drifting, at least not in my books...

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rtz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Edit: sale is over? They were really cheap...

-----

SMOKING PRICES! About ~$200 more than a Switch kite?

http://www.oceanairsports.com/prod/Rebe ... egoryID=29
Last edited by rtz on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CapatainJ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 pm

when drifting, kite basically does not have power at all... If it has, it's not drifting, at least not in my books...
It does, simple laws of physics, if you are travelling slower than the wind speed. This is very likely in 18 knots and above. You are riding a wave that is travelling forward that will develop apparent wind too.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:36 pm

rtz wrote:Edit: sale is over? They were really cheap...

-----

SMOKING PRICES! About ~$200 more than a Switch kite?

http://www.oceanairsports.com/prod/Rebe ... egoryID=29
Very good prices. Maybe it was supposed to be the 2013 Rebels on sale?

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:41 am

It looks that way now. Awesome prices there for a minute. :D

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am

CapatainJ wrote:

It does, simple laws of physics, if you are travelling slower than the wind speed. This is very likely in 18 knots and above. You are riding a wave that is travelling forward that will develop apparent wind too.

This is splitting hairs in a way; if the kite has decent power ie. pulling you then it is not drifting. Simple as that. Here is for example a quote from Cabrinha about their Drifter kite: "Amongst the many features the Drifter is known for, none is more important than drift stability also known as slack line drift. While surfing, it’s sometimes important to depower the kite to the point where you can surf on your own wave generated power without the pull of the kite. Its here that the Drifter is able to stay aloft and drift downwind with you."

I dont ride Cabrinha, but they define drifting as it is.

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150

Postby CapatainJ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:17 am

omg wrote:
CapatainJ wrote:

This is splitting hairs in a way; if the kite has decent power ie. pulling you then it is not drifting. Simple as that. Here is for example a quote from Cabrinha about their Drifter kite: "Amongst the many features the Drifter is known for, none is more important than drift stability also known as slack line drift. While surfing, it’s sometimes important to depower the kite to the point where you can surf on your own wave generated power without the pull of the kite. Its here that the Drifter is able to stay aloft and drift downwind with you."

I dont ride Cabrinha, but they define drifting as it is.
Perhaps I should have been more specific, when drifting the Rebel vs Wainma rabbit, I found that the Wainman has more low down immediate power available if I sheet the bar in. I.e when I want to get going quickly on the wave the Wainman is better.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm

Captains right but no surprise. The rebel is a much higher aspect kite, it doesn't 'drift' per say. The lower aspect wainmen will indeed drift in front of you and has that immediate power as it is already sitting deeper in the window. Rebel is not a wave kite nor should it be marketed as such. Get on a drifter, REO, Cabo, Neo and even the new dice, then ride a rebel, you will see.

tina3009
Rare Poster
Local Beach: huisduinen beach
Favorite Beaches: Mikri Vigla
Style: oldschool and highjump

Postby tina3009 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Can anybody tell me how to roll up the Rebel 2013?
I just bought a set, with the valve at the and.
When i roll it from one tip all up the to end it's not a compact package anymore, but it slides apart....

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:44 pm

North expects you to roll up older Rebels beginning at the opposite end from the dump valve. It never worked very well in my opinion.. thankfully the 2014 valve system looks much improved.

:wink: CG

Return to “Kitesurfing”