Beginner launch

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Beginner launch

Postby keegster17 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi guys I have now put in about 4 hours in total with a guy training me how to kite. I did the body dragging, and managed to get up on the board for a few seconds. I am wondering at my skill level, is it safe to try to self launch and land? reason I ask I want to do it away from others so I feel safe, and also little nervous kitting at my level amungest many kiters. My kite is a 14M Slingshot T3 2008. what do you think?

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Been thanked: 0

Re: Beginner launch

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Absolutely not. Self launching and landing are for expert kiters only. Assuming you were properly trained in safety and self rescue, go to your local kiteboarding area and ask for a launch and assistance. Have someone standing with you to make sure you launch correctly. Once your kite is in the air, get in the water and body drag away from everybody else before working on your kiteboarding skills. That's how you avoid other kiters. Since you won't be able to go upwind right away, you will drift downwind and eventually will need to self rescue to get out of the water if there is nobody to land your kite downwind of the launch. This is a good thing - self rescue practice is something everybody needs to do anyway.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby jats2k9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:22 pm

At your skill level I highly recomend to get someone to assist you launch/land the kite. Also your kite a big one, why did you get this as your first kite? The size of that kite is meant for light wind which also will make it hard to self launch. Enjoy this awesome sport and stay safe.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:24 pm

no

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 pm

where is your launch. If it's a sketch launch, you can ask for a helper to walk out in the water and u can launch from there. Get some more experience before you self launch. Kiters will get mad at you if you kill yourself trying to do it and the launch gets shut down.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Reason I got this size kite is I am new at the sport and thought of the winds were I live. (Toronto) Ontario. What would someone recommend in terms of kite size then, what I might consider buying? so far I kite in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, maybe I will try Cherry beach in Toronto. The reason I asked about self launching is i would feel more comfortable away from kiters and find a place on the beach where there is no one, so I could practice without the fear of doing something wrong around other kiters.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:47 pm

14 is good for ontario keep it. your second kite for your quiver you can buy a 9 or 10 and then your third kite will be a 6 or 7. wasaga looks like a nice place, please talk to your local kiters, they should be more than willing to help you, and if you are nervous about launching next to other kiters, you and your helper can walk down the beach a bit. I've never kited georgian bay in lake huron, like to try it some day.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 pm

thanks edt for your comments. wasaga had about 25 kiters out.. Saturday and Sunday of the long weekend. Winds were 12-17 knots thru out the two days. they have a designated area strictly for kiters. I tried setting up further away and beach patrol asked me to move. So might have no choice next time to kite with others.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:07 pm

that part of lake huron is plenty shallow enough, ask a helper to walk out in the water, they should be more than willing to help you. If you do a self launch and die nobody will like you, because the launch might get shut down. The closest I get to that beach is kettle point ontario just an hour or two from michigan, but maybe some day I'll road trip it all the way to georgian bay.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Self launching on land can be very interesting.....

i learnt totally alone in deep water, drift start....then eventually alone on land....just check utube etc, there are loads of good tips etc....

it is better to get someone to show you first! why are you scared of other kiters? its the quickest and safeist way to start....i started alone because i was the only kitesurfer on the lake!

if you do it on your own i used to have your kite in 11m , being a bow kite it has crazy power and can be hard to handle in gusty conditions....always be ready to dump the kite if something goes wrong. 14m td3 is a big powerfull kite....modern kites are alot more gentle to start alone....

Return to “Kitesurfing”