Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Elitist segregation in kite surfing.

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:58 pm

This subject started in "What's the best twintip board for wave riding...?" thread.

"Nico wrote:
TT get no priority whatsoever in the waves at our home spot. You gotta use the right tools for the conditions.
Nico
It means that he has a huge lagoon where can have fun on with his twin tip and that on the peak in the waves he has absolutely no rights to priority rules. Simple."

In my mind there is absolutely no place for this thinking in the sport what so ever. There is no one group of riders, or type of board that can claim any section of water.

I have seen this in other sports I have done and its bullshit.

In truth I see it as one step shy of racism. I have more rights than you because the board I ride is not to dissimilar to having separate rights for skin colour.

There is only one time when I can see a need for segregation of board types/riding styles. That is during competition. In that instance,,, it is fair game.

PS Rant over. Sorry boys. But I do feel quite strongly about this topic.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elitist segregation in kite surfing.

Postby stefaans » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:10 pm

you are going to have to deal with it my friend.

I don't go ride my surfboard in your butter flats or between your sliders and kickers so stay the hell of my wave. If you want to ride a wave get yourself a wave board and do it right its that simple.

Of course you can go ride your TT on the coast just stay out of the guys way that got right of way!!!! That's all their asking.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:17 pm

if you want to get in the rotation and ride, fine
come enjoy and play with everyone

but if you want to short tack, then do spiny twisty shit in the middle of the wave rotation you have to expect some less than friendly reactions

they are not saying stay away because of your gear but because of the choices you make on getting in EVERYONE else's way.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:18 pm

its an absurd notion. i can understand how surfers would have a problem with kiters and who has rights to the waves but for a kiter to have a problem because a guy is on a twin tip? gimme a break!

let me ask this question. how is the twin tip rider interfering with others catching waves that is different than the guy on a directional? is the board creating a situation that causes the rider to hog all the waves, or ruin the waves, or cut off other riders from catching waves?

it's a real "lowest common denominator" way of approaching life if you ask me

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 pm

and don't even try and deny the short tack twisting twirly jumpy sheit because if you didn't plan on doing any of that stupid crap you would have chosen the correct board a wave board.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Lets get one thing straight. I am not advocating that one rider riding a completely different style gets in amongst a group of riders doing one thing and stuff it up. IE doing wake style in the middle of the impact zone getting in the way of a group of guys a running down the line ..... or practicing your surfboard jybes on the flat right in the middle of a group of wake stylers in a rotation doing wake moves.

You need to respect the style of others and not get in their way of there chosen fun. whatever that fun is.

But no one group has claim to any one place. In that respect I believe possession is 9 /10th of the law. Who set up first on the day dictates the style.

So.... If your ripping there first on the day and down the line on your surfboard I will not get in your way. If i'm there first and my chosen fun is boost of the waves then rip upwind I expect you to respect my style of fun also.

Hell even if I'm there first I will still respect your style. But I expect to you to respect mine.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 pm

gosh stefaans, are you a big man on the water too?
Careful, saying "your wave"
Mark Foo had a wave,
Sion miloski, you get it...
Maybe you should Shut Up,
take a nap or something.
:P

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 pm

yes i am and my wave is my wave. Go twirl around in the flats all you want but bring respect to the coast and obey the rules. always have to be one idiot that messes it up for the rest.
Don't be that idiot.

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150

Postby CapatainJ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes it's complete bollocks!

No one owns waves, yes there are the basic right of ways to follow which is a given.

But the pathetic attempts from the above posters saying get a proper board, a directional?

Really?

In that case I should revert back to windsurfing and claim priority on the wave because you are on a kite, which is obviously not as cool and you shouldn't be there, and you can't ride a wave as well as a windsurf board. LOL

Some of you live in a proper dream world, we are here to have fun, if you don't like it, tough shit.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm

DANG GUYS !!!

My HG & PG flying trip to Ca for the weekend , just got terminated cause of a new
rain forecast . & there's no kiting for me at Mohave this weekend ether ; not with
a 40% chance of rain there as well.

AND ----- i ain't Nowhere "NEAR" as Angry as you Guys !!!

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”