Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kites?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Have you considered making a non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kite? I like the additional power from my land only foils with fixed bridles.

Also, FlySplit boards join without screws and only use pins which is much faster and no tools are needed - I don't think this has ever been done before. This makes it possible to easily break it down after each session. But do the pins ever come loose and fall out?

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kites?

Postby loco4viento » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Would you be flying on handles as your land kites, or are you talking aout flying a fixed bridle, non-depower foil on a bar like those we use with our depower kites?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Dave_5280 wrote:Have you considered making a non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kite? I like the additional power from my land only foils with fixed bridles.

Also, FlySplit boards join without screws and only use pins which is much faster and no tools are needed - I don't think this has ever been done before. This makes it possible to easily break it down after each session. But do the pins ever come loose and fall out?
Why ?

The power, and more specific, the powerspike - is awesome, for a fixed and very optimized 2 line foil kite, indeed.

But having said that - we just HATED those back in the days, except for "perfect" conditions - which never happened :o

I find, that on land, the "margin" is so much bigger, as these foils are out in way less powered condtions (meaning much smaller sizes relative to the wind of the day).
And they can fly forward somewhat, to ease off, if on the edge to getting overpowered :naughty:

On the water, you need a lot more power, and your "window" between being underpowered and overpowered is extremely small :o
Also, the wind is typically much more gusty, when "a lot of wind", right ?

Just my thoughts and experience...

8) Peter

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am

Dave_5280 wrote:Have you considered making a non-depowerable fixed bridle foil kite? I like the additional power from my land only foils with fixed bridles.
Fixed bridle, non-depowerable - sounds like the flexi blade no? I used to use these on the water, like someone has already mentioned really great in the right conditions but a bit of a nightmare when it's gusty. And obviously, you crash... your swimming.

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 pm

see http://www.k48.com/main.htm
this web have some years but still love it.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Flysurfer unhooked. Done

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: ...

Why ?

The power, and more specific, the powerspike - is awesome, for a fixed and very optimized 2 line foil kite, indeed.

But having said that - we just HATED those back in the days, except for "perfect" conditions - which never happened :o

8) Peter
Fastest i ever bin on a land buggy was 50mph, (43kt) with a 3M, (2)-line Airush in
30kt wind ; NO de-power whatsoever.

Personally -- i'd like to have Both the power And the ability to de-power at will ?

Bille

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm

More power for their size, but need it to be relaunchable on water so FS could make one. I think another company still makes a land model for racing in sizes up to 16m or in that range. A bar set up would be preferred.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm

cosmo wrote:see http://www.k48.com/main.htm
this web have some years but still love it.
Ha, how random... that's Chris one of the lads that got me into riding blades. I switched to inflatables a few years back but he's still going on his foils and still jumping twice as high as the inflatables!

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I am a little bit surprised that some of our +50kt speed merchants have not tried foils on runs because it would let the rider optimise the wing shape more. That said, I've never been anywhere near that speed so what do I know. I'd also hazard that relaunch would not appear to be an issue if you're barrelling through a trench in a foot of water....

Return to “Kitesurfing”