Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Blade Fat Lady vs. North Rebel 14m 2014 advice requested

Postby madmax7 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:50 pm

My regular spot ranges between 10 to 20 mph (bout 9 to 18 knots), I ride ocean with minimal wave action. I am 180 lbs with gear (81 kg.)

Fat lady claims wind range at 8 to 20 knots

North Rebel 2014 14m 10 to 24 knots

If Rebel is really that close in the lower range it seems like an ideal kite, being smaller I would guess the kite to be quick and I could perhaps learn to hang on passed 20 knts. ?? or is this unrealistic for my size on a TT 136 cm?

The Fat Lady is tempting if it can stay in the air at 8 knots and can a kite that big keep me in the water to 20 knots?

Also, can the Rebel stay up at 10 knots? One of the reviews was that this kite is a bit heavier in the air compared to some of its peers, so just wondering...

Just looking for input from those of you that ride these kites to see if low end and upper range is realistic.

Thanks in advance,

Max

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Re: Blade Fat Lady vs. North Rebel 14m 2014 advice requested

Postby bay surfer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Go for a 17m Fat Lady, you'll be riding in the lower wind and still be able to hold it down in 20 mph no problem. the Fat lady is a fast moving Big kite.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 pm

got a 1st generation fat lady

for years i don´t read wind speed but advise caution with those low numbers, maybe with the right board and within the right conditions u could go as low, don´t think you will with your regular TT board or if conditions are less than right

it´s a very light weight kite and mosquito fast for it´s size, i like to pair it with a skimboard on light winds, think it´s a good mix

some people say it´s as fast at the expense of some upwind as it does not fly much at the edge of the window. for me it goes up-wind fine, it´s just not a "up-wind machine"

on the upper end i don´t believe you will have much fun at 20knts. i ride boots which give me a huge leverage and i´m used to ride powered & don´t believe i would. in any case the LE will warp all over the place on those wind numbers, so best is to just switch/rig a lower kite

don´t get me wrong - it´s 1 of my favorites kites, huge fun.

just setting your expectations right...
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Go the fat chic kite, use a 60cm long throw bar for better top end and faster turns, and wider board, youll have a ball :)

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Have experience with the 14m and 16m Rebels(2010 and before) as well as the Fat Lady Gen 1 & 2. The Fat Lady will have more lowend than the 14m Rebel(about 3 knots). The Fat lady will also fly through the lulls better and turn slightly faster than the Rebel. The 14m Rebel may have better high end however. Hope this helps.

dragonpig
Medium Poster

Postby dragonpig » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:15 am

Go with the fat lady .... no question about it . Im 95kgs and been struggling with 14s in Hong Kong for the last few years . On a decent day wind is 8-12 knts , i can now keep upwind with a few tricks here and there on a 135 TT without much rocker .... Can even throw back roll kite loop transistions with this thing ...... Amazingly fast for its size !

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 am

Second generation fat lades are better behaved at the top end, both kites will work in the wind ranges you describe, the Fatty will be more powerful and faster turning the rebel will be slightly better up wind. If you like mowing the lawn and general hooked in stuff then the rebel works, if you like this and unhooked and looped tricks, then go fat lady.

Return to “Kitesurfing”