Jantrit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can I touch the bar?

Postby Jantrit » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:09 pm

I was standing with a friend (his kite was in the air I had stopped rigging to talk to him) when a guy came up and wanted to talk about the kites. After a couple of the normal questions about how much pull of the kite and doesn't it take a lot of upper body strength? My friend said something to the effect of most of the pull goes to the harness and the bar pressure is quite manageable. At that point the guy reaches up and grabs onto the bar and pulls down presumably to see what the pressure on the bar was. It happened so fast that my friend had the split second of shock and disbelief as to what was happening but he was fast enough grab control back and send the kite to zenith and control it. It just shows that non-kiters have no idea of what the kites can do or how bad they can make a situation in a split second.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Jantrit wrote:I was standing with a friend (his kite was in the air I had stopped rigging to talk to him) when a guy came up and wanted to talk about the kites. After a couple of the normal questions about how much pull of the kite and doesn't it take a lot of upper body strength? My friend said something to the effect of most of the pull goes to the harness and the bar pressure is quite manageable. At that point the guy reaches up and grabs onto the bar and pulls down presumably to see what the pressure on the bar was. It happened so fast that my friend had the split second of shock and disbelief as to what was happening but he was fast enough grab control back and send the kite to zenith and control it. It just shows that non-kiters have no idea of what the kites can do or how bad they can make a situation in a split second.
Same thing happened to me too.

And in Thailands, kids thought it was a great game to grab your bar too :nono:

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:18 pm

that was awesome

of course: it wouldnt have gone down like that if the kiter had a hand on a centerline and was ready to disable the kite.

believe me it is tiring only posting about stuff like that, but this is why. thats a great way to get a beach closed, wrong person sees that. also, it is totally possible an out of control kite could have ripped that guard tower over, or apart, if that is what it was attached to. seen things that big get moved easy.

maintain contact with a centerline (preferably the low one) when you are between the kite and the bar, when using a tether to launch (and obviously when landing also, although there is no reason or point to use a tether to land, ever. use your leash to disable your kite)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pj sofine » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Guess he didn't ask that beauty for a date afterwards :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”