Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Switch Labs

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 am

Or a hot breasted babes in a opened lab coat (even with some safety glasses to add sme authenticity) with nothing on underneath....think about it.... :naughty: :naughty:

..can you organise that for us Bill!

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 pm

@ GregK: Thanks for the positive comments! :thumb: Stitched loop fails at the sewing transition. Spliced loop fails on the flying line as you questioned. The test speed is much less than when an uncontrolled kite deep in the window with slack lines suddenly powers up. One reason we started our Lab because suppliers can sometimes make mistakes - 'trust but verify.' Clearly, multiple testing and statistical analysis are part of the process. Thanks again! :thumb:

@ Starsky: Thanks! :thumb:

@ KiteCulture: :thumb: :thumb:

@ BigPaul: Listen or Be??? :wink:

@ Westozzy: Too busy with new designs. That one is up to you! Maybe try here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2323765 567 pages. Good Luck! :thumb:

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 am

This video states that the spreader bar fails. While it does start to yield or deform; it never breaks or catastrophically fails.

It looks to me at 0:42 the metal loop in the chicken loop pulls out?

https://vimeo.com/78874628

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:21 pm

flybykite wrote:Here's the new swivel and test. Looks great but I wonder about the narrow design being able to untwist lines under less load on much longer lines making the twist higher and with lless resistance.
https://vimeo.com/78874629
I don't understand this video. The swivel is not failing. The lines are failing.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Looks like for that last test in this video of the chicken loop/harness bar & hook there's a short run of loop of 5mm / 3/16 single-braid Dyneema line going up from the chicken loop to the shackle on the upper platten of the tensile tester - minimum strength of a single piece of that line would be about 2,000 kg, so a double loop would hold over 4,000 kg.

Sub-title indicates the spreader bar failed, but in the video you can see the chicken loop has released, so that's a bit confusing.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 pm

GregK wrote:Looks like for that last test in this video of the chicken loop/harness bar & hook there's a short run of loop of 5mm / 3/16 single-braid Dyneema line going up from the chicken loop to the shackle on the upper platten of the tensile tester - minimum strength of a single piece of that line would be about 2,000 kg, so a double loop would hold over 4,000 kg.

Sub-title indicates the spreader bar failed, but in the video you can see the chicken loop has released, so that's a bit confusing.
The spreaderbar isn't exactly keeping it's shape, so it can be considered failing.

At least it's obvious the CL release is strong enough.

switchkites
Medium Poster
Gear: SwitchKites
Brand Affiliation: SwitchKites
Been thanked: 0

Postby switchkites » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:58 pm

rtz wrote:This video states that the spreader bar fails. While it does start to yield or deform; it never breaks or catastrophically fails.

It looks to me at 0:42 the metal loop in the chicken loop pulls out?

https://vimeo.com/78874628

Hello RTZ,
You are absolutely correct. Thank you for pointing out this editing mistake. The base of the quick release deformed and allowed the chicken loop cleat to slide through. Anyhow, we were very pleased to find out that this particular quick release used in the video was still operational after multiple tests and we are still using and monitoring it with one of our test riders.
Thank you.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 am

i don't understand why so much fuss about pretty much nothing?

any technical university can make similar videos anywhere in the world. so what the fuss about?
switch made this videos first? so what? it does not make switches kites better than they are...

switchkites
Medium Poster
Gear: SwitchKites
Brand Affiliation: SwitchKites

Postby switchkites » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:15 am

Ayahuasca wrote:
flybykite wrote:Here's the new swivel and test. Looks great but I wonder about the narrow design being able to untwist lines under less load on much longer lines making the twist higher and with less resistance.
https://vimeo.com/78874629
I don't understand this video. The swivel is not failing. The lines are failing.
You are correct, the lines are failing first. However, after examining the swivel, we noticed that the two welds that fasten the rivets to the side panels started to fail and it was no longer safe to use this part.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 am

eree wrote:i don't understand why so much fuss about pretty much nothing?

any technical university can make similar videos anywhere in the world. so what the fuss about?
switch made this videos first? so what? it does not make switches kites better than they are...
true - not many conclusions to be taken. starting as a unique sample is both the average, the maximum, the minimum and maybe an outliner

but for me this is more of a showcase of their approach to things

i like the effort as it aligns it my inner geek
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”