Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Line Mount; Is center line safety still functional?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

GoPro Line Mount; Is center line safety still functional?

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:12 am

I just bought the GoPro line mount from Camrig and as expected, the results are great.
I've worked with footage from it before and it is rock stable and provides a great platform!
:thumb:

However, now that it is on my lines, how does this affects my Slingshot center line safety system?
I have gotten varying answers from people but nobody who has actually tried it. Somebody mentioned on here, accurately, that you should expect your safety to be compromised if you attach anything to it.

Has anyone activated their center line safety with the GoPro line mount on the center lines?

The first time I used it was in gusty onshore conditions so I didn't want to test the release. I vowed to test it the first time I was flying the line mount in a shallow friendly area. But then I was wondering today what would happen...

* Will I lose the entire camera mount?
* Will I lose those rubber line mount plugs?
* Will I damage my bar or lines? (unlikely, I think)

The 4 rubber plugs hold the mount very securely to your lines. I suppose this is what gets rid of the camera wobble from the old mount and the connection is solid. It is very hard to slide a line through with this installed.

I suppose if you deploy the safety, the leashed line will pull, the bar will move up to the camera mount and then HOPEFULLY there is enough line pressure to push the mount along the leash line until the kite is depowered.
If THAT works, than what happens when you reset your bar? There is very little tension on the line when it is slowly walking itself back out...and now one side of the line mount is 20' higher up the line than your other center line. You have to bring it back down. I would think once you deploy your safety you have to remove the camera mount before you can reset your rig. ? As I describe this I think I have my answer...the CSS must be unusable, right?!? There is no way to reset it in deep water with lines all around you.

I'm in no way trying to disparage the line mount, it works great. Awesome product. Great design.
I'm just trying to figure out the safest way to leash my kite when using it.
Should I leash "suicide" any time I have the line mount installed?

Appreciate any tips! I'm sure someone here has tried it... :mosh:

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Line Mount; Is center line safety still functional

Postby mdksniper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 am

I only use two of those green plugs on my mount. Keep them both on one side of the mount that is on the static center line and leave the the other safety centerline free.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 am

mdksniper wrote:I only use two of those green plugs on my mount. Keep them both on one side of the mount that is on the static center line and leave the the other safety centerline free.
I just got this mount, haven't tried it yet, but thought the same thing CA. If it holds in there tight, and doesn't slide, then my kite won't depower fully if I quick release. That's not good. I intend to tie my lines to a tree, harness in, and test it out...punch the safeties and see what happens. Good opportunity to confirm the lines are all equal length anyway.

MDK: Excellent suggestion! Do you also tether the camera to your line, for extra safety? Saw in one of the online help videos that they recommended that. Maybe not needed with the new plugs, as it looked pretty loose before, pretty snug now.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 am

If it clamps onto a sliding center line safety then you are certainly at risk of malfunction. You might want to consider the 2014 cab bar, it releases to a single center line but has a 6m sister line that runs up past the v so you could connect the camera to the main line while still leaving the safety line free. It's almost like they anticipated this and decided to go a different direction then everyone else.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Ive used the method of attaching only one side to the static front line. Gives you great footage. Only two issues ive ever had was when i crashed the kite, had lots of slack and the not secured side of the front line came free. The other time was after a few back loops the front lines got twisted above the line mount, apart from the two times it was great. All i really need now is gopro to get an acceleromiter so the footage is always the right way up.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:26 pm

mdksniper wrote:I only use two of those green plugs on my mount. Keep them both on one side of the mount that is on the static center line and leave the the other safety centerline free.
That's a good idea.
How is the footage? Does your video get some shake in it from the side without the rubber plugs?

nick14 wrote:Ive used the method of attaching only one side to the static front line. Gives you great footage. Only two issues ive ever had was when i crashed the kite, had lots of slack and the not secured side of the front line came free. The other time was after a few back loops the front lines got twisted above the line mount, apart from the two times it was great...
I didn't even think of that. What happens when you loop the kite?
I would think on an SS bar the forced spread of the lines (from the line mount) probably makes the center line spinner work better....or else it twists above the camera and then who knows...

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn

Postby peet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Its an awesome mount for sure :)
If you don't use the green plugs you do run the slight risk of one of your outside lines getting caught in the semi-exposed line hooks if you're crashing your kite a lot.

Also for security of your cam you should leash the gopro to the non-safey line via a larkshead with a loop of cord. I've never lost a cam yet, but its worth doing just in case.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Yeh always leash it to the line and board for that exact reason. Never lost a camera yet but i have had it smacking around on my board once. Both board and lines take great footage but always tether.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I also would assume the mount would impede the effectiveness of the single front line safety. If activate in a windy situation, I would think overall the kite and wind would win and probably distort the camrig if all four plugs were used. If the camrig is super sturdy, torsional forces might even cause the plastic by the screw to break.

Mine is on a double front line safety so I use all four plugs, the camera is very stable, it does take force to slide the rig along the lines. I've noticed if I rig the piece right near the Y, it eventually finds itself about 5-6 inches higher up the lines where I rigged so i think that is where it naturally stays. I have also noticed it does improve the effectiveness of the swivel. A tether is a good idea, so far the mount seems super reliable and I haven't felt the need for a tether but I will probably throw one on now anyways.

If your steering catches the cam, I've been pulling the throw(chicken line) in with one hand and pulling the caught steering line hard away from the catch. I was in the waves very underpowered without a wave kite and when I let my lines go slack on a wave, it fell and caught the camera, then when i sheeted in a little without steering, the kite automatically flew towards zenith due to being caught on the camera. Be mindful of this when in the waves if your kite doesn't drift well.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Come on...of the 30,000 users on this forum, surely SOMEONE has pulled the safety with this on their lines. Anyone?!? :D

(great tips so far, though. thanks.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”