Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Vegas or Dice!

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Although it is a highly intuitive kite when you first get on it, there is still some dialing in over a couple of months, and what you find is it is packed with some great advanced potential both in the surf and freestyle wise. Its like a friendly wing on the surface but in the hands of experienced riders there seems to be some hidden advanced potential. A lot of all rounders I have flown tend to find a limit eventually, we haven't found this on the dice.

I have flown and owned both kites mentioned above, and I have to say without being critical of course because everyone's opinion is valid, it flies nothing like them at all? It flies like a good old fashioned CLOSED C kite with some bridal smoothing out. Due to this C kite characteristics, power generation is not obvious, you have to work it correctly.

But alas I agree with the last comment a kite is a kite is just a kite in the end.

frenchi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Le Jai (france), Port Saint louis du rhones, Anse Carteau
Favorite Beaches: Le crotoy, Baie de Somme
Dakhla,
El gouna,
Torre guacetto (italia)
Style: Oldman free riding! Close to 40 y old...
Gear: North rebel
Genetrix
Nobile
Aboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby frenchi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 pm

I don t know if it can help you.
I have rebel kites, and am old school style.
I already tried the vegas in the past, and understand people who love them, even if i do not, as they are a bit violent when you jump, and i prefer the smooth up and long time of the rebel.
I tried the dice this year (12 m2), in light condition, and i really liked it! A real toy! I would compare a bit the feeling with the drifter of cabrinha when riding, and jump a bit more funny.
I would say that if you are used to fuse or this kind of kite, Dice must be a very good transition to freestyle!

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps

Postby oksman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 am

Resurrecting this topic because I wanted to know the impression of someone that tested both 2020 Vegas and Dice. I've been riding Vegas for many years, but lately I realized that more and more Duotone riders are migrating for the Dice, and leaving the Vegas behind. I read that the Dice this year is more freestyle oriented, and now, looking to upgrade my quiver, I'm having a hard time to find available 2020 Vegas, even on online shops.
So, how different is the Vegas from the Dice right now, besides bridles and 4 lines? Is the Vegas getting to the end of the line?
Thoughts?

surfkite25
Rare Poster
Gear: dice

Postby surfkite25 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 pm

http://fuertejulia.com/en/duotone-dice-2020/

Here is a review from a team rider. I think she covers the difference between the Dice and Vegas well.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 pm

I just made a jump from vegas to dice.

Vegas has a much more direct feel on the bar. However dice is not bad and better than other construstions. To keep things short: dice gives you more hangtime and is easier to jump on, better for freeriding. Vegas gives you better and more aggresive pop, slack, in general it is better for unhooking. My choice came down to what I want more - better UH or easier and longer jumps. Both will deliver. Unless you do double HPs.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm

if you aren't going to unhook - the dice is the better call.

Kitenuovoman
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Kitenuovoman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

If u dont know....than go for Dice
... :thumb:

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:18 pm

My jolly good pal has just switched from Vegas to Core GTS5 which he preferred over the Dice, so worth getting a go on one if you can.He swore by Vegas's for years, but loves his GTS5's now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”