Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Cape Hatteras in July. Conflicting messages

Postby edt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm

vkngktr wrote:July is one of the windier months on Hatteras. Its not crowded for kiting either ocean or sound side.
Ok, now this is exactly why the original poster is getting a mixed message.

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby vkngktr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Statistically its one of the best months for wind on Hatteras. This year was very good also. Does that mean next year will be? Let me break out my future wind predictor so as not to mislead.....

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Agree with edt. I have been to hatteras 6 times so far and got skunked once which was in August. July/August is supposedly the least windy months for Hatteras, but as said above, everywhere else in the east coast there is absolutely no wind July/August so you have better chances there. We schedule our trips to Hatteras April and October and on an average get 5 out of 7 days of kiting.

frezenius
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby frezenius » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Well yeah, so this is what I'm talking about.. Should I stay or should I go? I'm from Norway so traveling quite far stay in Hatteras. I understand that one can not predict weather for 6 months (though, I wish we could), but there are some places on this planet that are more windy than others.

I'm just wondering if it's a big gamble to go to Cape Hatteras instead of say Cabarete or something...

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Not trying to be a smart ass but just look up past wind data for locations you want to visit. Its available on many sites. The best predictor of future wind is historical data. If there are 20 out of 30 days of wind more than 15kts youre chances of wind 15kts or greater isu 66%. If wind is your only concern then go to the place that has the highest past occurence. I was just stating that Hatteras has a good chance of wind in July and its not crowded.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:12 am

This past July was the best I have seen since 2009 when I first moved here. There are almost always days with wind, but you have read between the lines. Sometimes, it turns on before dusk and you have to catch it very early, sometimes it turns on just before sunset, sometimes it kicks on for lunch break. It can be too windy, or not windy at all, be 0 mph or kts at Cape Hattie and 20 mph at Jockey's Ridge, and can be 0 mph Avon and 15mph Rodanthe/salvo/waves.

As an instructor here, there were many no-wind days some because of lack of wind, but a lot were because a good oceanside day meant the soundside riding was off shore winds, totally flukey from wind shadows of the dunes or massive rental houses, and just was not condusive for teaching and making learning fun. There were some absolutely no wind days but for the most part, if you are a competent kiter, and are able to kite either flat water or gnarly surf, and will have a vehicle to get you to any of the spots to kite along the ~60+ miles of coast, then you should be set as long as you plan on being around for at least a few days. If you cant handle the waves or drive distances, then you will get skunked for some days. If it is NE, it usually holds for few days no matter the season. Certain SW trends in the summer hold solid for a few days. Most tend to start off in the low teens and build nice through the morning and sometimes crank into the 25-35 range each afternoon. Sometimes you can keep an eye on windalerts human forecasts, kite in the morning down south on hatteras, and if the wind switches to SE, drive on up to Jockey's Ridge and ride there lit even though the meter says it's only 15mph.

Hatteras is a gem, full of great people who want to kite. Some places are being monitored more though these days, Jockey's Ridge was mayhem this summer and parking got way out of control due to tourists and kiters from up North. Also there is some issue with using state roads to access certain waters (illegal unless you are fishing). If you come here for two whole weeks, you will find wind, if you stop by some of the schools, you will find local kiters who have in depth knowledge and possibly a sixth sense about what the weather will have in store.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a big kite too, I've spent many summer days on a 15 or 17 and gone right down to a 9 the next or even the same day.

Return to “Kitesurfing”