Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Postby alexeyga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 pm

Disclaimer: If you're an owner of Epic Renegade and/or - possibly - Infinity kites, this topic might save you a long swim to shore.

During my recent trip to South I had a close call with my 3GII Renegade 13m kite - pumped it up, went riding rather far from shore for a few hours, came back for a break and upon landing the kite it deflated.

Long story short - outer end of the leading edge bladder wasn't properly secured at the factory so eventually it folded into the leading edge and popped (I'm sure some Epic pimpers would've been very happy if it has happened while I was out).
_K5_2066.jpg
_K5_2075.jpg
_K5_2073.jpg
This isn't something easy to spot visually, since Renegade's leading edge tips are very thin.

So just a friendly suggestion - make sure your leading edge bladder's ends are properly secured and make it a habit to inspect leading edge ends by hand after pumping up your kites, just to make sure there's some bladder in it.

I have managed to fix it on the spot and ride, but given the burst's location - it wasn't pretty.

A personal message to Dimitri&his dogs (to save them a hassle of repeating them-selves):
-Yes I know that i'm the only one ever who experienced that particular issue
-And yes I know that your new chickenloop is the answer to whole world's problems
-Next time i'll buy a kite from some small-timer, I publicly promise to have a lot more positive attitude regarding that company owner's lack of professionalism and inability to stand behind his own claims and promises in order to get a level of service that one gets from any other self-respecting and well-established company without questions

Ride safely!

P.S. To these who's wondering - Epic has refused to replace my bladder under warranty despite the fact that this is clearly a manufacturing defect, under the pretext that if there was a problem - it would have happened a lot sooner. This is absolutely standard practice at Epic when you contact them regarding any real issues - no surprises there!

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Potential safety issue with Epic Renegade kites

Postby soul19 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:49 pm

How long have you had the kite and how many sessions on it? I have had to repair kite bladders and it can be tricky at times! Lucky for me I have a good buddy that is willing to lend a hand and is quite good a kite repairs! I can see why Dimitri avoids dealing with you though as you seem to make a lot of claims against him! What I can't understand is how this didn't become an issue till now ( not that I think you are making it up at all Alex). Glad to see that you were able to fix the bladder so that you could keep riding...that is when it becomes the tragedy!

James

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 pm

James,
Given the location of the burst - which is at the bladder's outer end,which is enclosed into the thinnest and rather long part of the leading edge, it might have never surfaced at all. But somehow it did. My kite is less than a year old and I'd estimate the number of sessions (or rather the number of times that i've pumped it up) at ~20-30. I actually had issues fishing the bladder's end out through the opening - it was ~20" inside.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Sorry but isn't this is a potential problem with any kite manufacturer? It is uncommon but I have seen it a few times. Happens more with brand new kites. Usually bladder not fitted fully and it blows into a void.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Uh oh, you brought his dogs into this? Dimitri's pager just went off. :alarm:

It's been two hours, so he must be kiting or out of the service area.

Here comes The Greek in 3...2...1...

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

JGTR wrote:Sorry but isn't this is a potential problem with any kite manufacturer? It is uncommon but I have seen it a few times. Happens more with brand new kites. Usually bladder not fitted fully and it blows into a void.
You're right, but on some kites it's a lot easier to spot than on others - hence a bigger "potential" with Renegades. I've actually never heard of this kind of a failure.

Danydan
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Danydan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Where is the safety issue in this story? My advice to all kiters is to kite as far as they can swin back. The good news is that you made it to shore without having to swim, which is good!!!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't know about others, but one of the reasons why I enjoy kiting so much - is the freedom of going whenever I want - which often goes way beyond "not going further than I can swim". And for that I need to be able to rely on my equipment. And if it isn't the case - I call it unsafe. Simple really... Though in all honesty one doesn't really expect something like this from a kite brand who's owner claims things like:
Dimitri M wrote:I am not interested in saving money by taking short cuts like most companies do when it comes to quality. I want the best of the best. I am interested in bringing the best quality to the customers.
Last edited by alexeyga on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:53 pm

I have seen this with a few different brands.
It really sucks that it happened to you while on vacation and out on the water.

Looks like a pretty easy repair to DIY with some Aquaseal and spare bladder materials.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 pm

whabbits wrote:I have seen this with a few different brands.
It really sucks that it happened to you while on vacation and out on the water.

Looks like a pretty easy repair to DIY with some Aquaseal and spare bladder materials.
It would have been a lot easier if the burst wasn't located right at the seam and if there wasn't a left-over bladder material wrapped back on the bladder it-self. Basically I had to soak the whole area in glue and triple-patch it. Held with no loss of air through the week, but I don't trust it in long run.

Return to “Kitesurfing”