Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: WTF

Postby jats2k9 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 am

I drifted downwind while winding up my lines for selfrescue in a spot with no downwind place to get out of the water, yet no kiter went by to check on me, they even didnt pick up my board. After I had been struggling in the water for like 20min,to my luck, a boat passed by and offered help.
There is a kite school in this spot, they even have kayaks for rent which could have been used to help me or to help others in this situation since there have been several accidents in this place. For those of you who may know, Im talking about Matteson Hammock park in Miami.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:58 am

Most of my sessions windsurfing and kitesurfing end up being by myself. I carry a PLB (personal locator beacon) with me when I windsurf, it's in the Dakine bag on my harness. I now use the ACR ResQLink PLB. It's a one time fee for the device and you register with the NOAA. I used to have the SPOT Connect with a yearly fee, but that's a complete piece of $#1+. Get a real PLB. When you feel like your life's in danger, at least you'll have a button to press in hope for a rescue.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am

laz wrote: .... Hardly made it back, only made it back my realizing that laying on back and paddling that way is efficient ...

Are you going to get a SPOT locator emergency beacon or similar
and a back-up inflatable PDF, (there like $70) and also some drinking
water, if things go Real Bad and your stuck out there for a while ?

The guys that use the inflatable PDF's at Mohave, say they hardly notice it's there
because it's so Flat & small when not-inflated, and they have a co2 bottle
to fill them or it can be done manually.

Thanks for the Reality check here ; because of your Thread, i plan
to be Way more self-sufficient from now on, (and i kite in a Lake) !!

Bille

hightimes
Frequent Poster

Postby hightimes » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:37 am

Never assume that people are gonne help you.
If you had died it would have been your own mistake.
Nobody to blame but yourself.
When you go out to sea be prepared to swim or have some kind of device to warn the authorities.
Most people dont even know how to help you when shit happens.
Most kiters are land lubbers that cant even swim 10 yards.
Ive also had to swim a couple of miles upwind and had to say goodbye to my kite.
It's part of the game.
Glad youre alive though.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:47 am

hightimes wrote:Never assume that people are gonne help you.
If you had died it would have been your own mistake.
Nobody to blame but yourself.
When you go out to sea be prepared to swim or have some kind of device to warn the authorities.
Most people dont even know how to help you when shit happens.
Most kiters are land lubbers that cant even swim 10 yards.
Ive also had to swim a couple of miles upwind and had to say goodbye to my kite.
It's part of the game.
Glad youre alive though.
True dont go out and do dumb things and expect someone will save you. But if you are in an unfortunate situation and you are waving your hands signaling distress there is no excuse for those who see you to either offer assistance or call for the authorities to rescue them.
It is simply irresponsible for these riders to not have helped or called for help.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 am

And how about always carrying with you something as simple as one of these toxic-red man overboard/life distress flares?

ImageImage

Seems like something a lot more visually-noticeable than all that high-tech mumbo-jumbo like personal location beacons and stuff?

Dodged a similar bullet recently - so it made me wonder...

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby William Munney » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 am

alexeyga wrote:And how about always carrying with you something as simple as one of these toxic-red man overboard/life distress flares?

ImageImage

Seems like something a lot more visually-noticeable than all that high-tech mumbo-jumbo like personal location beacons and stuff?

Dodged a similar bullet recently - so it made me wonder...
A personal locator beacon alerts authorities and guides them to you even if you're miles away from the nearest person- so it's not really comparable to a flare. A flare could be useful, though.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 am

thanks for sharing the story.
glad you made it back safe.
yeah, if they saw you struggling for that long, someone should have come out.

I agree you have to plan on taking care of yourself if you don't have a buddy with you, BUT, there is an expectation that we'll all help each other if you see someone down for a long time.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:02 am

True dont go out and do dumb things and expect someone will save you. But if you are in an unfortunate situation and you are waving your hands signaling distress there is no excuse for those who see you to either offer assistance or call for the authorities to rescue them.
It is simply irresponsible for these riders to not have helped or called for help.[/quote]

yea, just yesterday somebody went way way way outside and dropped their kite. we all watched from the beach and it looked like there was a problem so i put on a harness, put a kite up and started to head out and then the wind just died. nothing. so i limped back in looping the whole time. no boat around, no phone. so we just watched for a while. when they finally swam in they were upset no one tried to help. WTF? what were YOU doing that far out? it's not like the wind or water was better 2 miles outside. so, it is not really my responsibility to save your dumb ass from yourself. but i will still try if it does not put anyone else in danger.

Jantrit
Rare Poster

Postby Jantrit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 am

I have been seriously considering one of these: http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/

marine radio with GPS coordinates. It is not satellite but should be able to get someones attention where all my kite spots are in line of sight to other water traffic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”