Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: NorthKites are Horrible

Postby Bille » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:39 pm

NYKiter wrote:you might invest in a tube of loctite....never have an issue with screws coming loose...
Is the Red one kinda difficult to get the screw out if you want to
change fins later ?

I use the same product ; but it's the Blue one, and i can get a screw
out without using heat because it's made for non-permanent applications
and i also have never had a problem with screws going loose ...
on the board ! :lol:

I use it on the foot-strap screws as well.

Bille

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 pm

This is great stuff. Please continue. North, can we have a public comment on the defective pump? Maybe an all inclusive kite holiday to Hawaii would keep customers happy as a way of saying sorry.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby markchatwin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 pm

OK same thing happened on my 2012 this year. Riding around on my Whip, starting slipping out and then landed kite, checked board - fin missing.

My first thought was "North sucked". Plus I had a chip on my shoulder because North didn't respond to contact forms through website on several occasions prior to this. But I tempered my frustration with the chance that maybe I didn't tighten a screw down.

I contacted dealer not with the idea that it was a warranty issue but rather "I need a set of quad fins". Dealer told me $125 and I thought "No way I'm spending that to replace one fin".

Went to EBAY and found a brand new North Quad set for half that.

So I get the North Quad set, this time 2013 fins (same but blue color), and I notice that the notches on all the fins are off. Lengths of fins are off, width is off. Bottom line fins are cheap and not uniform - perhaps stamped out in bulk from China with low quality.

In order to make the new fin work I had to rebuild the notch with epoxy (ding dough) to the right size. I then went back to my original 3 remaining yellow 2012 fins and tweaked them for a better fit. Haven't lost one yet.

I truly believe that the fins' notches are off and that is why I lost a fin unexpectedly. I could get mad at North but I chose to suck it up.

Flash forward I buy a Dice 10m and the bar has got similar cheap plastic parts on bar ends that don't do what they're supposed to. Well the one side does but the other bar end doesn't snap off like in the North video. Also the plastic cap the holds the knots hidden is great on one side but on the other side it needs to be pried off with a knife. Again not like the video says "Changes on the fly are quick and easy"...

I could choose to be mad at North but I have found a good North support guy, Dan At North here on the board, and some good dealers like Ocean Air in Avon, East of Maui in De, 321 Kiteboarding in Fl. They are who North is to me.

The frustrating things I've experienced are minor but the gear is awesome so I'm rolling with the North crew! :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeh mark the truth is the retailer is what counts. Those plastic ends...I'm not a fan either, just put some knots under the floats, keep it simple. I use a flat blunt little knife to get those plastic caps off..must admit done it a few times now and they get easier to take off...thing is there is only a small plastic notch holding it in place...if that goes....well shit!

On bars the bar that just about nails it for me it terms of simplicity and functionality is the new best bar. not know what that means in reality though....

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Whoa. Leave the office for a few hours and look what happens.

ahusseini... please check your pms.

Anyone else with any issues or complaints is always welcome to PM me. And I'd like to remind everyone who has a complaint about any brand... Everyone in this industry tries hard. We also all make mistakes. Take it easy on us and let us work with you. Honey, not vinegar.

-Dan

Wray118
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wray118 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:00 am

markchatwin wrote:OK same thing happened on my 2012 this year. Riding around on my Whip, starting slipping out and then landed kite, checked board - fin missing.

My first thought was "North sucked". Plus I had a chip on my shoulder because North didn't respond to contact forms through website on several occasions prior to this. But I tempered my frustration with the chance that maybe I didn't tighten a screw down.

I contacted dealer not with the idea that it was a warranty issue but rather "I need a set of quad fins". Dealer told me $125 and I thought "No way I'm spending that to replace one fin".

So I get the North Quad set, this time 2013 fins (same but blue color), and I notice that the notches on all the fins are off. Lengths of fins are off, width is off. Bottom line fins are cheap and not uniform - perhaps stamped out in bulk from China with low quality.

In order to make the new fin work I had to rebuild the notch with epoxy (ding dough) to the right size. I then went back to my original 3 remaining yellow 2012 fins and tweaked them for a better fit. Haven't lost one yet.

I truly believe that the fins' notches are off and that is why I lost a fin unexpectedly. I could get mad at North but I chose to suck it up.

Flash forward I buy a Dice 10m and the bar has got similar cheap plastic parts on bar ends that don't do what they're supposed to. Well the one side does but the other bar end doesn't snap off like in the North video. Also the plastic cap the holds the knots hidden is great on one side but on the other side it needs to be pried off with a knife. Again not like the video says "Changes on the fly are quick and easy"...

I could choose to be mad at North but I have found a good North support guy, Dan At North here on the board, and some good dealers like Ocean Air in Avon, East of Maui in De, 321 Kiteboarding in Fl. They are who North is to me.

The frustrating things I've experienced are minor but the gear is awesome so I'm rolling with the North crew! :D

I had one side of my bar hard to remove , turned out one of the knots would push up and get jammed just where you dont want it , i tucked it away and now works perfect , might be worth checking to see if yours is the same .
Oh and the north service in my area has been fine on the few times i have needed it :thumb:

surfboy1968
Frequent Poster

Postby surfboy1968 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:09 am

North kites and customer service rock...... originally poster must work for epic kites?????

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:46 am

Wray118 wrote:
markchatwin wrote:OK same thing happened on my 2012 this year. Riding around on my Whip, starting slipping out and then landed kite, checked board - fin missing.

I had one side of my bar hard to remove , turned out one of the knots would push up and get jammed just where you dont want it , i tucked it away and now works perfect , might be worth checking to see if yours is the same .
Oh and the north service in my area has been fine on the few times i have needed it :thumb:

Okay ta will do. But if pastic ends are your biggest problem then life is pretty sweet I'd say...lol

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 am

@ahusseini,

It doesn't surprise me one bit that you couldn't get OEM replacment fin(s).

Is it possible that the manufacturers only make enough OEM fins for the amount of boards they make /sell? :roll: Even then you can get a new board sent to you without fins because they are on back order :roll: Is it possible that most dealers think the OEM fins are crap /disposable too? and they don't want to carry them because they already carry 2 dozen other templates from FCS and Future and they all have their favorites already. A lot of guys will swap out the OEM fins with their favorites too. Do the manufacturers know this?? I have had an impossible time sourcing (from dealers, distributors and the makers) OEM fin(s) from a number of brands in the past.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:54 am

Bille wrote:
NYKiter wrote:you might invest in a tube of loctite....never have an issue with screws coming loose...
Is the Red one kinda difficult to get the screw out if you want to
change fins later ?

I use the same product ; but it's the Blue one, and i can get a screw
out without using heat because it's made for non-permanent applications
and i also have never had a problem with screws going loose ...
on the board ! :lol:

I use it on the foot-strap screws as well.

Bille
Theres studlock.... strongest grip
nutlock medium grip
screwlock lightest grip.

Use the screw lock

Return to “Kitesurfing”