Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

NorthKites are Horrible

Forum for kitesurfers
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: NorthKites are very good in my opinion

Postby Caesar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:39 am

Hi,

I learned on North Rebels and switched to Cabrinha because I hated those 5 liners which inverted on me many times when a sudden wind lull occurred. Then Cabrinha had two years of very bad fabric, so I looked for another kite company.
After reading so many hypes about that little start-up kite company here on this forum, I thought give them a go. But that was a disaster and the 2 kite repair center owners rolled their eyes every time I came back to them because of another repair on those three kites. After 1 year I truly had enough of that crap, so I switched to North's Fuse and I never looked back!

Now a few episodes about North's *customer service*.
I asked my dealer if the 2013 North bar could be modified so I could install the micro loop/hook. They rang North and they said yes. Ok, so I bought that 2013 Fuse, 2013 bar and the micro loop/hook set. To my surprise the holes on the iron heart were different to the hook and there was no way to get that installed. I rang the dealer to let them know and contacted the North HQ directly and explained it to them in detail what the problem is. Without hesitations they sent me a 2012 iron heart and on top a new 2012 CL as well (and no- they did not ask me to pay for the freight).
I thought 'Wow!'...
3 months later a line broke (most likely due to the little plastic sleeve with a very sharp edge which rubbed on that). I fitted my beloved Q-Powerlines onto the bar but contacted Dan/North and the North HQ to let them know as a warning so they can check. To my surprise with my next order a new set of lines were attached (I did not ask for them since I won't use them anymore anyway).
It is true that it is hard to talk to these busy North guys, but you don't need to. Explain your problem to them and without hesitations they will send and honor whatever broke or is not correct. That is true *customer service*!
My first North order was made in April this year and since then I purchased for myself 4 x 12m Fuses, 1 x 10m Fuse, 1 x 9m Fuse, 1 x 2013 bar, 3 x 2012 bars and several Ion accessories (Ion is handled by North too).
What goes around, comes around... :wink:

The only sour grapes they give me is the discontinuation of (what I believe) the greatest kite on the market and the newer bars which can't be fitted anymore with the micro loop/hook. It is not a big deal to ditch that plastic insert and put back the aluminum insert with the 2 holes to install the micro loop. It would be good if they would listen a bit more to their clients. But maybe the old school guys are a niche market now...who knows...
Anyway, I have enough gear now which will last for some years.
Thank you North!

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: NorthKites are Horrible

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 am

Awesome ceasar, well explained mate.

Mmmm so I would need to get a 2012 iron heart for a micro loop. I want one of them.

Hey at 67kg what's your bottom and top end on the 12m fuse mate. I'm looking for one as we speak...

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:04 am

Westozzy wrote:Awesome ceasar, well explained mate.

Mmmm so I would need to get a 2012 iron heart for a micro loop. I want one of them.

Hey at 67kg what's your bottom and top end on the 12m fuse mate. I'm looking for one as we speak...
I wont go out if it is not at least 17 knots (but of course I can go upwind easily at 10 knots or less if I wanted to) and swap to 10m when it goes beyond 25 knots average wind speed.
But then all big boys were kiting on 8m already.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Yep spot on. Cool

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 am

I don't fly north kites but I do have found memories. I handled snow removal for our local North loft. Not only did I get paid for my services, I also got employee pricing on windsurfing gear (pre kiting) I loaded up for pennies on the dollar! They sold building and moved, otherwise I would be on new North kites every year!

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesVegas » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 am

It's a shame that people feel the need to come on here and slag of local shops like BBR just because of a situation beyond their control. I've had the pleasure to deal with James from BBR on the phone and in person, he literally couldn't do more for his customers. I've had parts from there that no other shop can get hold of and had them sent out to arrive the next day so that I can stay on the water. They shop itself is and Aladdin's cave of kitesurfing gear which is rare now with so much being sold on the internet, just go into the shop and they'll happily speak to you at length to make sure you get the right gear for a great price. Whilst I support my local shop when it comes to buying kites and boards I would always go to BBR for spares as 99 times out of 100 they are going to have them sitting on the shelf.

As for North Kites, I've flown them since I began kiting 6 years ago. I had a big problem with my original Rebel, it used to fold in the middle (it was the one without the centre strut). It ripped when I crashed it. I took it back to Boardworx, they replaced it no quibble. Since 2010 I have flown the Vegas, my original kites are still on the beach as is my 2012 quiver. The 2010's are showing their age a bit but the guy who bought them is still shredding hard. I was in two minds wether to replace my 2012 kites because they barely look used but the increased low end on the 2014 Vegas means that I can get out a little earlier than before. The D2 is without a doubt a superior material to the standard ripstop, I tend to abuse my kites quite a lot but with the upgraded canopy material this gear seems bullet proof. People around my area buy North kites if they can afford them.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:35 pm

I bought a new 2012 north whip. It had delam proms from new, without ever putting on the water. So after a week waiting , it was agreed replacement board would be sent. This took a few weeks as it was not in uk. It arrived, and found the pads had been put on all over the show, clearly a second. WTF? You would think North would have made the effort to check the first board over, and certainly my replacement considering the previous problem. It was returned, and told no boards available until 2013 models are out. So after two seconds, lots of waiting and no replacement board available, I decided to get a refund. I did not, or never have, received any email or letter from North in way of an apology, so cheers for your concern North, :lame1: quality control, only surpassed by your couldn't give a f customer service.

Return to “Kitesurfing”