Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North 5th Flying Lines DIY

Postby southflorida » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:59 am

NY,
Measurements for my 25m 2011 bar, but they are "rough", i.e. taken with a wheel measuring tool like this, on the sidewalk, and only done to purchase line.
ScreenHunter_08 Dec. 12 18.31.jpg
ScreenHunter_08 Dec. 12 18.31.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 936 times
These measurements are NOT precise, but for me, they were good enough for buying line. Keep in mind that these measurements don't include the length needed for pigtails as needed (at least 6 inches each end).
ScreenHunter_10 Dec. 12 18.51.jpg
Hint to get the line lengths all the same on a re-worked bar: do everything except for making pigtails where the lines will connect to kite. Attach chicken loop to firm object, and make sure bar is fully sheeted in (use microloop if you have it). Take all five lines ends together and figure out a way to make them very tight. Mark them with a Sharpie all at same place. That mark needs to end up at the top of your pigtail or knot for each line. Don't neglect pre-stretching of lines! (I say that for anyone else thinking of attempting this).

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:36 am

NICE....
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Looks like you have a +/- tolerance of around a centimeter or so.
Did it fly the same with these rough dimensions?
Thank you (this is what makes the Kiteforum great).
Last edited by NYKiter on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:50 am

sarc wrote:I wised up early on (circa 2008) that
a) North kites are great
b) North Iron heart is great
c) North bars are crap
d) North lines are crap

Above is more true than ever in 2013

So I've been making my own 5th line bars from scratch for years, using Q-power and better bars (does not snap in half, thicker diameter, bigger depower line hole, better grip. ) Never had a problem evah.

I can post some pics if you are interested
Hi mate,

Pics would be highly appreciated, thank you. Do you use a microloop/hook? If so, could you post photos of that too please?
Are you still using the North QR?

Cheers
Caesar 8)

southflorida
Medium Poster

Postby southflorida » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:52 pm

NY
I don't believe the measurements I posted were +/- 1cm. That wheel measuring tool on a sidewalk is probably more like +/- 1 inch o worse. For really accurate measurements, I'd need a measuring tape some 90 feet long. I used the figures for purchasing line. They are as accurate as I could get them with that wheel measuring tool.

When I did my first mod to 32m, I made the steering lines about 104 inches long with some line to spare for making the pigtails. Then, I did the procedure I described above where I marked all 5 lines at the same length before I finished them off with pigtails and/or knots. The final final length of the lines was not exactly 32m, but somewhere within +/- 10 cm of 32m. To me, it was more important is to make sure all lines were the identical same length when bar is sheeted in than exactly 32m.

For super precise measurements, one has to be very careful to specify from where to where they are being measured. To the top or center of the pigtail loop? Do you attach the line to another line and then measure? Consider that from the center of a pigtail loop to the top of it is about 1cm, so that matters. Then, if you throw in the age/use of the line, they'll stretch or even shrink one or two cm easy, and would throw off any comparisons from bar to bar.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Just purchased a full set of lines.Once they come in I will post the exact measurements of all the lines using a 100ft. tape (of course measuring tapes have minor stretch). I will be using a single bar for multiple north kites. I will need to develop extra sets on my own as these will stretch fast. I have so many extra line sets laying around I need begin recycling the good ones...particularly the strong slingshot lines.
:jump:

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

NYKiter wrote:Just purchased a full set of lines.Once they come in I will post the exact measurements of all the lines using a 100ft. tape (of course measuring tapes have minor stretch). I will be using a single bar for multiple north kites. I will need to develop extra sets on my own as these will stretch fast. I have so many extra line sets laying around I need begin recycling the good ones...particularly the strong slingshot lines.
:jump:
H there, great thread, I'm wanting to add 5m to a set of regular lines to get more out of my Dyno, and there's been some useful info shared , thanks to all who posted. Where did you get your new line set from, I have a friend who's looking?

tia :)

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm

After scouring the web I found this set at ~$150 U.S.
This was a deal I could not resist....(considering they sell for $300 elsewhere)... :clap: :clap:

http://www.board-worx.com/kitesurf/bars ... t-25m.html

looks like they are out of stock now...but they are responsive to phone calls. Call and tell us when they will restock? :wink:

Just as a side note - I'm rather blown away that the entire load of the front lines depends upon a 1/2" dia plastic stopper ball that rests on a stainless steel ring...seems like a very weak link to me....
:shock:

Also, can someone explain how the nose line is used in conjunction with the Y lines? I dont get it... :brainshit:

southflorida
Medium Poster

Postby southflorida » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:36 am

NY
Not sure I understand what you mean about the load on the plastic ball. Here is my upper ring (2011 North Bar, unmodified from factory).
Kite would be to the right, bar to the left.
ScreenHunter_14 Dec. 14 20.18.jpg
The thick white line (top line, left of ring) is the main power line. On mine, from the factory, it came attached to the ring and to the right and left lines of the V up to the kite (red and brown sleeved lines). The white line on the lower right is the center 5th. I didn't take the picture with it in the middle because it would block being able to see how the other lines are attached.

The main load is transferred directly from the V lines to the main power line, not through the plastic ball or ring.

The 5th line can load that plastic ball, so if you have a fully loaded 5th, the plastic ball takes that load and transfers it to the thick white line via the ring. In an emergency release, I think all the load goes on the plastic ball (the other one closer to the kite) but the loads should be a fraction of normal operation loads.

One more pic on the flip side of this juncture
ScreenHunter_15 Dec. 14 20.32.jpg

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 am

Got it - thanks for the photos. Just getting familiar with this setup.
:wall1:

Can you comment on the extra nose line?

Return to “Kitesurfing”