Getting in shape for kite trip. Costa Rica

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Getting in shape for kite trip. Advice request

Postby BWD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Only lift 3 times a week.
Swim.
Add squats if you don't do them already. Do lots of them with light weight or no weight.
But stop if it bothers your back at all!
Concentrate on form!
If form is not your strong suit, get a partner or trainer to help.
If you "have to" go to the gym 6x, split your workouts up so each muscle group gets 2-3 days to recover, not just 1-2 days.
Lift fast, lighter weights. high reps. Dumbbells not machines.
You aren't going to build much mass in only 2-3 weeks, so don't waste effort trying to.
Swim.
If you have a board with some rocker (>35mm) you will probably have an easier time, as pressure will not be concentrated on back leg so much. Flat boards are harder to ride for a long time imho.
With rocker or a surfboard, you can ride all day.
Even flexible flat boards are more tiring to ride in my seasoned opinion.
Whatever you do, don't injure yourself in overzealous last minute training.
SWIM.
I did all the above before a trip a couple years ago, it got me in the best overall shape in years.
Now I am 2 years older and need to repeat the process.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:11 am

I might be making some assumptions, but assuming that you have a 26 yo son - you might be overdoing it with 4 x 45-60min workouts /week.

It's a common misconception that you get stronger by working out, or going to the gym. You get stronger in bed, resting, and eating correctly. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the gym is a bad thing, but you have to intersperse the proper rest and recovery and I think this is often overlooked because sleeping excessively and resting for days (or even greater than a week) has kind of a stigma.

Even with performance enhancing drugs like testosterone or growth hormone analogues - the sentiment is that they work their magic by promoting recovery through growth post exercise and allows you to do more frequent workouts.

On another note , how long have you been kiting? Just anecdotal evidence here, but its amazing that I rarely get sore kiting anymore. There were times the first few years I learned how to kite that the soreness was unbearable. Now, it's so infrequent it's freakish. I get sore at the gym still.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby madmax7 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:11 am

BWD thanks for input, will incorporate

Consumer , interesting. Not sure how to apply, I been working out since I was 15 yo. Don't quite follow ur advice ,

Don't get me wrong I'm an average guy in my 50s and I been kiting since 2007. But I think what I'm talking bout is muscle fatigue on legs after 2 to 3 days of continues days w jumps and tricks. Not really sore.

Thanks for input. Max

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:47 am

If u fail to be in shape and end up with pain all over the place a good massage work miracles

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force,
Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:13 pm

What consumer is trying to point out to you Max is that you may be over training. It generally takes at least 48-72 hours(depending on the intensity of your workout) for your muscles to fully recover. And, you do most of recovery while sleeping/resting. With high intensity workouts, you also need to increase your protein intake to aide in recovery. Many supplement their diet with powdered whey protein to help.
Also, a good way to keep from over training when you workout in the gym frequently is to do a "push"/"pull" routine. Ex. push exercise one day(chest, shoulders, and triceps), pull exercises the next day (back, traps, biceps), and legs on the third day. That way, you are not re-working the same muscles each day.
Lastly, don't overlook ice therapy. Most serious athletes nowadays soak in an ice bath after a high intensity workout. I would suggest you ice your ailments with a bag of ice/frozen peas right when you finish training or kiting. Good luck Max and its very cool that you kite with your son. :D
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter64
Medium Poster

Postby peter64 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:52 pm

I suggest preparing the liver by gradually ramping up your alcohol intake. Then do a few sit-ups.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:01 pm

All about core strength :thumb:

Mix of cardio for general fitness and core training to allow you to ride for long periods without feeling like a 90 year old man the next day.

Core training can be extremely basic - crunches, v sits, planks, side raises and variation on these for about 20 mins a day 4-5 times a week will see a big improvement over 4 weeks :thumb:

You can also bring core into all your other workouts eg free weighs instead of fixed, alternate from L to R rather than both at he same time concentrating on maintains a straight back and stomach, off road and hill running instead of road, mountain biking instead of road biking.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:41 pm

I find the best thing to keep me going is to ride like its your last day alive. Every day could be your last so just do it!. Ride through the soreness and get a roller to loosen your it bands! Most lower back pain comes from your legs. get a roller!!!!!
Great advice from others!

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:07 pm

I usually lose about 5 lbs beforehand. I get lot's of sleep and try not to exert myself before departure.No sex for 2 weeks before. (a must for serious athletes)I drink lots of water to stretch my stomach. It helps! When I hit the "all you can eat buffets" I'm in a class by myself. I'm able to excel at any drinking contests, and jello shots slide down with ease. I'm on the water by 3 pm for a hour session , I pace myself for that hour session, a few low level jumps, and usually just mow the lawn. After that I'm all set for the "early bird special" and a night of serious business. (monkey).The windless days are epic! ( no brand affiliation intended)

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:07 pm

This is the abdominal video from P90X. You are meant to do it 3 times a week for 13 weeks (90 days). You will notice a huge difference after a couple of weeks in your abdominal and core strength.

Just cut and paste.

http://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/video/ ... t-715&tt=b

Brad

Return to “Kitesurfing”