Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel 2014
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New 2014 Evo

Postby grey 2864 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 am

Hi just in the process of changing from North Rebels mainly 2013 due to loosing the will to live with 5 line wraps :roll: have got a 7m and 10m 2014 Evo have only used the 7m so far for about 2.5 hrs in the very stormy uk conditions , very impressed with the bottom end ,started out very underpowered turns very good considering its a bridled kite , have been looking for as closer match to a 4 line rebel as possible think I have found it jumps very well , may be not quiet the hangtime ,of the Rebel but need more time to get used to it . But have to say felt very at home on it straight away , generally wind was mid to low 30 's and a squall to mid 45 mph so tested the top end,and my bottle just about coped but wouldn't recommend it , used it on the middle rear pigtail , found bar pressure tends to increase near the top end of its wind range.
I did try the 9m Dice but only liked that with the back lines tightened one knot , found it a bit gutless in bottom end range also bit underwhelmed with jumping but that could be my technique as went for 22m quad lines and I have got so use to 24 m lines,so could be timing and technique , also think to get the power of my old 10 m rebel would needed to go 11 m and didn't really want to go back to a 3 kite quiver , Dice for Waves and more un hooking would be the go but for what I want at the moment the Evo suits me more will let you know once I have had some more time on it .

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New 2014 Evo

Postby Westozzy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeh that makes sense. The dice won't jump like the rebel nor the new Evo...well it doesn't been on them all. But it will shit on those two for what you said from a great height.

Although had the 9m ( the sweet size IMO) in 25 to 30 on some out reef break and damn it went big and long. Especially if you loop it...which it beats the other two as well.

Depends on what you are into. Agreed on the back lines adjustment, although now I have to depower when unhooking before could just unhook without touching the depower strap.

That's why I suppose they have different design profiles for different riders needs. While the crew I ride with love the dice my brother likes a more muscle kite and doesn't really like his that much. Good that you tried both.

Return to “Kitesurfing”