Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I really don't get kite companies

Forum for kitesurfers
Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I really don't get kite companies

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 am

Why is it kite companies bring out a new model of their kite, claiming High Boosting, Super stable, quick responsive steering etc, then buy and Steers slower, has less low end and goes upwind the same as the previous years.

Aren't they suppose to "Progress"? Why is it so many times a newer kite from the same company actually gets shittier? What is the point of this, and do these "testers" say "Ya man, this kite is it way better than the last" They smoking too much weed?

This has happened so many times I can't count. It's like they are taking the piss and I keep falling for it.

User avatar
Eurus
Frequent Poster
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Eurus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:53 am

Not sure which kite(s) you are referring to but the ones I have been buying over the years have actually improved. The only one I know about recently that I heard a lot of kiters complaining about was the Cabrinha Switchblade. A lot of kiters said when they switched from the 2012 to the 2013 SB a lot of them hated the kite and said Cabrinha screwed up. Then Cabrinha released the 2014 SB and apparently fixed all of the issues kiters had complained about.

I own a couple of 2014 SBs and love them. Didn't own one before the 2014 so I guess I got lucky.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 am

Eurus wrote:Not sure which kite(s) you are referring to but the ones I have been buying over the years have actually improved. The only one I know about recently that I heard a lot of kiters complaining about was the Cabrinha Switchblade. A lot of kiters said when they switched from the 2012 to the 2013 SB a lot of them hated the kite and said Cabrinha screwed up. Then Cabrinha released the 2014 SB and apparently fixed all of the issues kiters had complained about.

I own a couple of 2014 SBs and love them. Didn't own one before the 2014 so I guess I got lucky.
Haha Yes Switchblade, or Cabrinha in general I have been disappointed 3 out of 4 years. 2012 Swichblade was fine but did nothing really "well" 2013 bought a 16m and had the same power as my 2012 14m now bought 2014 14 and 10m and only tired the 14, but had slower steering than my Ozone Edge 17m on the widest setting on the bar, jumps average, upwind pretty OK and lo end same as 2012. I did a back to back test with my edge 17 and it did everything better than the SW 14. I bought the SB for more wave surfboard type stuff, but now think my Edge would do much better. I'm selling them if you know anyone who wants.
I'm done with Cabrinha from now on. They charged top prices for less than average kites. I feel like I am waving a big "Sucker" flag every time I fly it. No offence. Just pissed at my purchases.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:23 am

Dont forget that Cabrinha listened to it's customers. In 2012, many kiters complained the SB was grunty but too slow and could use a bit less bar pressure. So in 2013, they bumped up the speed a bit sacrificing a bit of low end. Now everyone who complained originally probably bought the same size quivers as they had without considering the technical reviews and are displeased with the fact that their 2013s don't pull as hard as their 2012s. Once again Cabrinha listened to their clientele and have attempted to fix issues people saw in the 2013.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:33 am

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:Dont forget that Cabrinha listened to it's customers. In 2012, many kiters complained the SB was grunty but too slow and could use a bit less bar pressure. So in 2013, they bumped up the speed a bit sacrificing a bit of low end. Now everyone who complained originally probably bought the same size quivers as they had without considering the technical reviews and are displeased with the fact that their 2013s don't pull as hard as their 2012s. Once again Cabrinha listened to their clientele and have attempted to fix issues people saw in the 2013.
Yup true enough, but they went from too slow to lower power, fine. Now back to Low end is fine bar pressure Hmmmm. and even slower turning than 2012. So feel lost at what they are trying to accomplish. Whatever it is nothing is done well. Upwind=soso Jump=soso Range=soso Bar quick release can't really rest in water, power=Not complaining maybe good. Does fly nice in the air for sure.

I'll give it some more time and hopefully can find some good out of it. Guessing the 10m will be a lot more fun. So far I much preferred the 2012

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6374
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:29 am

I thought the 14m 2014 SB was more like a faster turning, less low end, not as boosty 2011 13m XB :lol: apart from my gear wearing out, it's tough to find gear to actually upgrade to...

sarc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:01 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby sarc » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 am

Okinawa Kiter I think you should rename the post "I really don't get Cabrinha" - can't blame you. Time to move on. So many other good brands to choose from...

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:16 am

sarc wrote:Okinawa Kiter I think you should rename the post "I really don't get Cabrinha" - can't blame you. Time to move on. So many other good brands to choose from...
Haha. I shouldn't bag it so much as I only had a quick session on the 14. Just weird first impression. Just think after 2 years you would think they would have made all points at least better. Supper slow turning just makes me want to yell MOVE IT! Haha.

BTW How are the other brands doing? I had a 19m Slingshot FUEL about 4 years ago and every bladder needed replacing after a month or so. Epic kites that sat in garage for a season and all the valves came off, my friends North Bladder split down the seam, and looked like it wasn't glued properly. So far Ozone Edge and Flysurfer 12m only impressed me and were better than my expectations. I like more of a free ride kite with great upwind ability, decent lift, but doesn't have to be the best lift, Good low end, and quick turning. Basically I want it all. Hahaha. I have interest in the Epic Screamers but don't know what they are like compared to the EDGE. If better I'm in. Also seems many people using Slingshot now here.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Varna,Bulgaria
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Ludmil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
sarc wrote:Okinawa Kiter I think you should rename the post "I really don't get Cabrinha" - can't blame you. Time to move on. So many other good brands to choose from...
Haha. I shouldn't bag it so much as I only had a quick session on the 14. Just weird first impression. Just think after 2 years you would think they would have made all points at least better. Supper slow turning just makes me want to yell MOVE IT! Haha.

BTW How are the other brands doing? I had a 19m Slingshot FUEL about 4 years ago and every bladder needed replacing after a month or so. Epic kites that sat in garage for a season and all the valves came off, my friends North Bladder split down the seam, and looked like it wasn't glued properly. So far Ozone Edge and Flysurfer 12m only impressed me and were better than my expectations. I like more of a free ride kite with great upwind ability, decent lift, but doesn't have to be the best lift, Good low end, and quick turning. Basically I want it all. Hahaha. I have interest in the Epic Screamers but don't know what they are like compared to the EDGE. If better I'm in. Also seems many people using Slingshot now here.


Have you considered Naish Park?

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9634
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Most kite companies bring out new models every year, as we as customers (stupid as we are...), like that and many buys the new stuff.

I dont think kites get "shittier" at all.

There will sometimes be a "dog" in between, that can not be avoided.
Maybe only a specific size in a brands series of a "model" - also seen.

But in general, the changes made will most often be slight improvements and details, that simply make the kite better and better in general :thumb:


What YOU experience personally, is another issue IMO.

One mans disaster, is another mans favorite :naughty:

I for one, HATE kites with low end, as they are useless in waves (IMO).
Others LOVE kites with low end, also the small ones !

So whenever a brand changes a model, there will always be many who hate the changes :o
But also many who like the changes :D


I think it is as simple as that, so I fully get the kite companies - especially that they almost HAVE TO deliver a new model, even though they dont really want to or have sufficient changes - but the market demands this (stupidly IMO, but we are contributing ourselves, most of us...)

8) Peter


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], flysurfing, Google [Bot] and 21 guests