peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really don't get kite companies

Postby peterheirman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:57 pm

It's all about money and marketing for the money.
An we are blinded by the marketing.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 am

Much Less wise words... Have more faith in your intelligence my friend.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Peter yes totally agree that one person may now want Low end, but you would choose a specific kite for this right? Like a wave specific kite where I would choose say a free ride kite. This is where the choice is made. So then what is a Switchblade kite? It's called a performance free ride kite, it didn't say it's a wave kite or "we dropped the low end to now make it more a Wave kite. So what I meant is it should improve in those characteristics not make them worse I would feel. In the case of the switchblade my issue is really just turning speed. Crazy slow when my 17m or even an Epic Infinity turns faster. Other points are not bad. I am going to see if changing the setting on the kite improves the turning, and I'm sure the 10m won't be as bad and acceptable.

It's nice to hear everyones feedback to better understand their perspective. I do also need to give the kite more time for sure. Took me 5 days of hating my flysurfer 12m to loving it. Cheers! :thumb:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:25 am

I love new gear and it is always fun to try out as many different kites as possible. It has been a fun year and the biggest surprise for me was the Epic kites that I have (the 3G Judge and screamer). I absolutely love the Ozone C4 kites that I have as well and think that so many companies have some great kites that are out there. Right now I am waiting for some more wind that I can exploit the great low end of the 8m Judge kite :thumb:

James

mike holmes
Medium Poster

Postby mike holmes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:14 am

Check out Flysurfer. They come out with a new model only when they are finished developing it and the process can take up to 2-3 years.
I never owned a Flysurfer and as someone who has a little knowledge of aerodynamics and manufacturing processes It really interests me to see the new kite models of various brands each year. A lot of them change a little a lot of them make significant changes and a few start from the ground up and deliver a totally new kite. The last are the true innovators and mostly they are also the ones that have a fall in performance from time to time. I like riding the "innovators" gear and am fine with spending my money on that innovative gear.
Last edited by mike holmes on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 am

Hey Mike,
Agree. I already ordered a Flysurfer lotus 12m for my travel kite. The Speed 3 12m was very good!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Airush, Flysurfer
Boards: DSD Intel,Moses
Harnesses: Mystic
Wetsuits: Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 am

[Haha Yes Switchblade, or Cabrinha in general I have been disappointed 3 out of 4 years. 2012 Swichblade was fine but did nothing really "well" 2013 bought a 16m and had the same power as my 2012 14m now bought 2014 14 and 10m and only tired the 14, but had slower steering than my Ozone Edge 17m on the widest setting on the bar, jumps average, upwind pretty OK and lo end same as 2012. I did a back to back test with my edge 17 and it did everything better than the SW 14. I bought the SB for more wave surfboard type stuff, but now think my Edge would do much better. I'm selling them if you know anyone who wants.
I'm done with Cabrinha from now on. They charged top prices for less than average kites. I feel like I am waving a big "Sucker" flag every time I fly it. No offence. Just pissed at my purchases.[/quote]

Really? Just less than average kites? Seem to work pretty good in this video. But... you need a faster kite?
http://vimeo.com/80856579

:thumb:

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:04 am

bigwave wrote:[Haha Yes Switchblade, or Cabrinha in general I have been disappointed 3 out of 4 years. 2012 Swichblade was fine but did nothing really "well" 2013 bought a 16m and had the same power as my 2012 14m now bought 2014 14 and 10m and only tired the 14, but had slower steering than my Ozone Edge 17m on the widest setting on the bar, jumps average, upwind pretty OK and lo end same as 2012. I did a back to back test with my edge 17 and it did everything better than the SW 14. I bought the SB for more wave surfboard type stuff, but now think my Edge would do much better. I'm selling them if you know anyone who wants.
I'm done with Cabrinha from now on. They charged top prices for less than average kites. I feel like I am waving a big "Sucker" flag every time I fly it. No offence. Just pissed at my purchases.
Really? Just less than average kites? Seem to work pretty good in this video. But... you need a faster kite?
http://vimeo.com/80856579

:thumb:[/quote]
Ya if popping 3ft off the water is your thing. :) Looked slow turning in that vid too. :thumb:
Don't be fooled by the hot chick and the beautiful beach. :D Ya they work for sure, just not nearly as well as my Edge. Some people like Fords others like Ferraris. Not everyone wants a high performance machine I'm sure. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I'm going to give the SB a bit more of a go and see if I can enjoy it. I'll try to be positive. It did go up wind well, not great but better than average, and easy to jump, just no where near the lift as my Edge, and very stable in the air, so not all bad, just shocked at how slow it turned mostly. Other things are not toooo bad. That said the 2012 model was better in all areas I feel, thus me feeling frustrated that after 2 years it got worse? Still I would also say the SB would be more suited for beginners and intermediate kiters as it's easy to use I feel so good to progress on. Anyways time to move on for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”