Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2 weeks in Cabarete -- good for beginner?

Forum for kitesurfers
DCnoob
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2 weeks in Cabarete -- good for beginner?

Postby DCnoob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:12 am

Hi all. I'm a total beginner to the sport; the only thing I've done is 10 hours with my trainer kite on land.

I need to use some airline miles before late March, and I'm considering using them for a flight to Cabarete in either February or March. I'd spend between one week and two, and treat it as an intensive trip to learn how to kite board.

I've searched extensively on the topic of whether Cabarete is good for beginners. There are a few posts here and there but I couldn't find much, so I'm asking.

Do you think that Cabarete for one or two weeks in February/March would be a good way to learn? And if not, any other Caribbean or US destinations you can recommend? I'm based in DC.

Thanks!

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 8
Local Beach: 2002

Re: 2 weeks in Cabarete -- good for beginner?

Postby peterheirman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:36 am

It is choppy up to the reef. Less choppy at kitebeach than in the main Cabarete bay.
At high tide there can be a shorebreak.
The waves on the reef are clean and fine but I doubt you will be able to handle them already.

Stay away from the windsurf zone in front of Cabarete center 'village' as it is for windsurfers only and more gusty.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 pm

3 places in Texas to take lessons. And 3 places alone in just SPI.

Houston: http://www.xlkiteboarding.com/page.asp?region=7

Corpus Christi: http://www.kiteboarding.com/kiteboarding-lessons.asp

SPI:

http://www.southpadreislandkiteboarding.com/

http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/

http://prokitesouthpadre.com/

Lessons might be ~$100/hr anywhere in the world. But you might only need 2 or 3 hours worth of instruction. Some safety and orientation to flying and dealing with the kite in the water. Do some body drags, and then start to learn how to get up and ride. After that; it's just time and effort till you are riding.

But you(everyone) definitely needs some initial instruction up to the point of doing board starts for your and everyone else's safety. It's one of those things where anyone not familiar with the activity has no idea and cannot image the various situations that can occur with the kite that can be very bad. The power from the kite can be unreal. The first time it turns you into superman and you get yarded or it tries to make you be a submarine; you'll understand. And it's best to have an instructor around initially.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:10 pm

I would stay away from Cabarete for a beginner. It is deep, large swell, very crowded, instructors from what I saw were on land with a radio to communicate with you. The beaches are small and very crowded.

I can agree with RTZ on the 3 main Texas spots. I have kited all 3, and they are shallow, flat water, instructor is right there with you, and less crowded. March is a good time of the year for the Gulf Coast as that is when our winds really start for the spring season. I will say Houston has probably one of the best places in the world to learn in Texas City. Waist to chest deep water for at least 1 square mile when the tide is in. If it is out there is no telling how far you can walk out.

Cabarete is a beautiful island and the people there are very friendly. I just don't think it is a good place for beginners. I'm sure there are plenty of other places in the world that have better conditions to learn in.

DCnoob
Rare Poster

Postby DCnoob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Wow, this was extremely helpful. Thanks to all three of you.

Sound unanimous: Cabarete is not a good choice for my (nonexistent) level of experience. Glad I asked!

I'll check out SPI. Is early/mid-March late enough for wind to be reliable?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TheJoe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah the wind will be on in March in SPI. http://sailflow.com/spot/83145 Scroll all the way to the bottom for monthly averages.

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Two thumbs up for South Padre Island. You may need a wetsuit at that time. I would try and go as late in March as possible. But make sure you are not down there during College spring break.
I have kited in at least 10 spots around the world and SPI is so far my #1 choice for beginners. :thumb: :thumb:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TheJoe » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 pm

irwe wrote:Two thumbs up for South Padre Island. You may need a wetsuit at that time. I would try and go as late in March as possible. But make sure you are not down there during College spring break.
I have kited in at least 10 spots around the world and SPI is so far my #1 choice for beginners. :thumb: :thumb:
Yeah I was not thinking about spring break. SPI gets stupid during that time. I would avoid it unless you want to party non stop and don't mind walking everywhere. You will not be able to drive it gets that crowded.

DCnoob
Rare Poster

Postby DCnoob » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Bummer, it looks like March is basically spring break all month long. :( :(

And now that I think about it, any place in the States during March will be overrun with spring breakers...

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 am

I was looking in the archives for the air temp in Feb earlier this year in SPI. Low of ~60 degrees and high of around 70. I think you'll be fine in a 3/2 or 4/3 wetsuit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”