Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Helmet & gopro mount for kitesurf & snowboard

Postby Younger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Santa delivered a gopro hero3+ which I intend using for kitesurfing and snowboarding.

I am presuming that the best solution common to both is a helmet with cam mount - can anyone recommend a helmet which suits both these sports and takes a gopro mount?

Or is there another mount that would suit both sports?

Thanks

dlprince69
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Beach, FL Delray beach, FL
Style: Foil, Wave, Air
Gear: Cabrina SB 8, 12, 16, Cloud 17, Crazy Fly LW 155x45, North Jamie 139x39, Lift Foil, Sector 60, Alex A CR69LE

Re: Best Helmet & gopro mount for kitesurf & snowboard

Postby dlprince69 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm

The best for kiting is the Glove mount. 360 degree swivel, hands are free to fly the kite.
http://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/stor ... -4009.html

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:57 pm

I wouldnt recommend the same helmet for both sports. Bern makes some all season helmets i think but they don't match the ATSM standards for impact protection for snowsports. I think technically they do but because they specifially test for single crash only they dont make the mark. Something like that. It would be a good idea to have a separate helmet for each sport, signle crash for snowboarding and multicrash fr kiting. That way you dont have to worrh about he harsh sun, salt water or brackish water, and nasty sweat and wet funk breakig down the safety shell of your winter brain bucket. If you have to pay extra for lightweight it is worth it! Fit and proper positioning on your is very important on the snow and water. Better fit=less likelihood the cameras weight will affect the helmet moving around and messing up your sick vids.

Find a helmet rated highly for protection and buy the most comfortable one!
Smith Haze helmet is the lightest i believe , the variants are very nice as well. I have one of those with a short brim as hell as a burton hifi. Also very light. I recommend a side mount on the snowboard helmet until you learn to ride with minimal motion in your head. If you can keep a bit of the helmet in the frame it will be easier and more comfortable to watch your videos since something will always appear constant. But experiment. I use a bern macon in the water but i dont use the helmet mount in the water

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Any sample video with the Floydie Glove mount?

Return to “Kitesurfing”