Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why are kite companies still selling bars?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm

How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.
Its easy to move the rear lines at the end of a bar before you launch. Takes 5 to 10 seconds.
Its a lot cheaper to make and a lot less likely to stop working.

I would like to develop trimming the kite using the rear lines. I think someone will figure out how to do it.

I have bought a couple of the Switch V1 bars to modify as I thought they had a lot of the basics right.
The V2 seems to be a lot closer in price to the bars from other manufacturers but has some of the upgrades I would have wanted.

To me there are two types of bar - for unhooking - or for staying hooked in.
Funnily enough, when you stay hooked in, you no longer need a hook.
For unhooking, I think the Q/R should be part of the spreader bar hook.

For non-unhooking, its easier to have a sliding attachment to the harness.
You don't need a big chickenloop.

Then there is (for me) proper IDS type two front line flagging where the kite will drop on its back with the same pull as a 5th line.
Or one front line flagging which will depower the kite more than two front lines.

I find with one front line flagging I usually need a bigger hole through any swivel it has to pass through than for two front line flagging, because of the joints in the line.

This is a build I am working on now, for single front line flagging. I had to drill out the Nobile stainless steel swivel from 4mm to 6mm using cobalt drills to get the flagging line to pass through. The front lines attach at a Slingshot choad ball.
I would prefer the Wichard to release as a push-away, so I am still considering if I can get that to happen. I am also looking for a stopper that works well on a single line.
Attachments
nobileswivel3.jpg
nobileswivel2.jpg

woodfu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby woodfu » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:23 pm

ronnie wrote:How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.
Its easy to move the rear lines at the end of a bar before you launch. Takes 5 to 10 seconds.

I would like to develop trimming the kite using the rear lines. I think someone will figure out how to do it.

I have bought a couple of the Switch V1 bars to modify as I thought they had a lot of the basics right.
The V2 seems to be a lot closer in price to the bars from other manufacturers but has some of the upgrades I would have wanted.

Then there is (for me) proper IDS type two front line flagging where the kite will drop on its back with the same pull as a 5th line.
Or one front line flagging which will depower the kite more than two front lines.

I find with one front line flagging I usually need a bigger hole through any swivel it has to pass through than for two front line flagging, because of the joints in the line.

This is a build I am working on now, for single front line flagging. I had to drill out the Nobile stainless steel swivel from 4mm to 6mm using cobalt drills to get the flagging line to pass through. The front lines attach at a Slingshot choad ball.
I would prefer the Wichard to release as a push-away, so I am still considering if I can get that to happen. I am also looking for a stopper that works well on a single line.
Gin had pull/pull rear line trimmers on their bars a few years ago.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 pm

woodfu wrote:
ronnie wrote:How many riders over the years have been riding around thinking I wish I could change my bar length while I'm riding?
Exactly.

Gin had pull/pull rear line trimmers on their bars a few years ago.
Was that the only trim system and trimmed both rear lines on the fly?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 pm

instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 am

knotwindy wrote:instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?
This does work FYI. I have used this although I found that the bar was a bit too close to me. It would cause me to over steer when loading and popping into a backroll sending the kite a bit to far across the window causing a down loop situation. I could probably have gotten used to it but decided I have long enough arms with the loop in place.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am

knotwindy wrote:instead of the Wichard as a push away, have you tried using another Cabriha release like you have on the leash to use as the primary?
I will have a look at that.
I am trying to keep everything as small and simple as possible.

I will grind this Antal thimble down until it can be held securely by the Wichard. That would allow me to reverse the wichard and make it a push away release.

EDIT:
On second thought, I reckon there are too many advantages for keeping the wichard on the rope as in the photo, as you can clip it onto a chickenloop etc. so I will go ahead with making something to turn the wichard into a push away release.
Attachments
antalwichard.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”