Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why are kite companies still selling bars?

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Why are kite companies still selling bars?

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't know why kite companies are still making bars. They are for the most part completely interchangeable. Bars are very customizable and parts are very modular.
The ABC kite is going to perform just as good with the bar they sell along side it as any other bar Why bother having a unique release for every kite brand out there? Why not have one or two companies build a few different types and provide mod kits so you can make the bar work the way you want? Higher volume would fund more r&d, lower prices, and more choice since one person could create a mod that would work on almost every bar out there.... Open source kite bar....

For example... There are 3-4 depower systems, cleat below the bar, cleat above the bar sliding cam above the bar and a pull/pull... I can make any one of my bars work with any one of these systems.... I need the parts, and a piece of Amsteel.instead of each kite company trying to sell their version of what they think is right... and affordable to market...
Why not have one company offer all the options for each component so you can order the bar made the way you want it?

My perfect bar... Cabrinha 2014 stick (With adjustable bar ends), epic 2014 chicken loop, and the zeeko sliding cam cleat. With a single center line safety.

I bet we could easily narrow down the best 3 or 4 variations of each bar part currently available.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Why are kite companies still selling bars?

Postby edt » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:15 pm

for the same reason movie theaters sell popcorn. profit.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 pm

And this particular question is coming from a dude who was refusing to buy an Epic kite until Epic has released a 2014 bar? :lol: :D :thumb: :bye:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:30 pm

edt wrote:for the same reason movie theaters sell popcorn. profit.
Okay... Then why not make all of the parts more accessible for purchase? I'm sure it is a money maker but if we could reduce the price of bars and change the buyers mentality to only buying one or two bars,the kite companies could sell more kites... Which IMHO will likely be more profitable then having to invest in r&d, mold building, and an entire purchasing line which is not needed to build a kite.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Free markets and innovation , that's what gets you best product or services. With out free markets we would all be riding around in Yugos and waiting three years for a new hip. NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:36 pm

better to have choices like now. Everyone likes different bars anyway...and I doubt they would be really that much cheaper...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm

alexeyga wrote:And this particular question is coming from a dude who was refusing to buy an Epic kite until Epic has released a 2014 bar? :lol: :D :thumb: :bye:
Actually I was specifically unhappy with the chickenloop u clip. I was not unhappy with the entire bar. Really happy they did come out with a new one so I didn't have to eat my words after having a chance to test the EPIC Renegade 4G kites and now it is my chickenloop of choice.... Although there is still one thing I would change...

Anyhow, are you trying to be funny, trying to discredit me or just being a troll cause your post is neither funny (debatable I suppose) or helpful and it adds no new perspective to the conversation....

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:42 pm

alexeyga wrote:And this particular question is coming from a dude who was refusing to buy an Epic kite until Epic has released a 2014 bar? :lol: :D :thumb: :bye:
Here we go again....Laughingman was just honest.... please people do us a favor and shoot alexeyga :angryfire: :lol:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Toby wrote:better to have choices like now. Everyone likes different bars anyway...and I doubt they would be really that much cheaper...
I am promoting more choice here not less.

I bet most people don't even know what they like...
I bet most people don't even consider bar features when they buy a kite/bar combo.... They just take what is recommended. Especially new kiters which I bet are buying a lot of the new kites.

Of course they would be cheaper.... A few companies selling as many bars as many companies selling a few... Which they have to invest in design and engineering the manufacturing process...? Distribution, packing..etc etc... How many kite companies are repeating the same process and absorbing the same costs for a product that is so similar and does the exact same job from brand to brand to brand....

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

I believe it is a great thing that they design and sell bars for their kites

I am a believer in a complete unit.... buy kite with bar and lines..that are made for each other

I like when kites are shipped to customer with the lines already attached to it ready to go

North Rebel has a great Trust bar.....Core Riot XR3 has a great Sensor bar

Are you having cabin fever ? How cold is it ? How much snow do you have ?

Are you going to hit the bars tonight and watch the big New York ball drop at midnight ?

Happy Windy New Year :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”