Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Surf 5/8/12 (4G)

Postby Westozzy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

Awesome bigpaul good to have experienced kiters demoing and reviewing.

Firstly in your review state what wave kites / kites you have flown. SB or TT?

Just check the usual man, drift, ability to kill power, ability to turn it off for decent waves or fly and follow if in say the mush like yours (and the many beach breaks), ability to turn depowered and the ability to take up line slack while still remaining stable as it flies back ...which of course is strongly related to drift. Overall power delivery of course. Check what's it like to loop down the line as well.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:48 am

Love to try this kite in Hatteras this Spring. My concern is perhaps trivial, but looking at that video, the middle of the leading edge sits up in the wind when laid on the beach. When it truly blows hard on the beach, like Cape Town, that will be hard to keep down without piling on a ton of sand.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:48 am

Would that stop you using a good kite though? Wainmens a bit the same (not as extreme) but you need to be careful with those as well...just a tad more sand...no biggy, who gives a rats ass if it flies right. Right?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Love to try this kite in Hatteras this Spring. My concern is perhaps trivial, but looking at that video, the middle of the leading edge sits up in the wind when laid on the beach. When it truly blows hard on the beach, like Cape Town, that will be hard to keep down without piling on a ton of sand.
Hugh2,
You are welcome to try the SURF kite any time you come to Hatteras (NC. USA). I have had the kite seat on the beach with no sand on it when it's blowing in the 20's and no problem. It might slide back just a little but it doesn't take off. Usually on all my kites I put sand or my board to anchor it down. And I would recommend to do this with any kites even with the SURF model.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Hello plummet,
Did you get my last email about shipping the SURF kite to you in New Zealand? Because I have not heard from you since then. I know it has been only 3 days but I just want to make sure you got my email.
Thanks.
:thumb:

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Mrs Blast on the 5m SURF....I think she liked it! :wink:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:22 pm

That is a great shot and being stuck in the cold dark days of winter makes me really want some water sessions. I am hoping to get my hands on this kite in the early spring and see how it handles the mushy slop of Lake Huron waves (one of the Five mighty great lakes)! Ahhhh.... still many weeks away but the Caribbean's are a calling :D

James

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So Mrs. Blast finally got a chance to try the SURF 5. What about Mr. Blast, did you get a chance to try the SURF 5?
I have a feeling you did not because she did not want to come out of the water.
By the way is this the custom surf board we made for her last year?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Cheers James, no doubt not as cold as where you are but it was still only 5 degrees and a hell of a lot colder with the wind chill (west coast of UK).
As we were leaving we had a hail storm that hit us and the beach turned white in seconds....it hurt too!

Yup your correct D, whilst Sarah was out I had zero hope of ever using the kite and yup that's her favourite board her custom 5'7" Epic Reef!
Fortunately it was fine for me on the 8m though!!

It's been pretty stormy here for the past few months now!!

Can't wait for spring time!!

clam111
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Frisco, Avon, Nags Head
Style: Strapless
Gear: Epic Surf kites with 18 m line, size 5, 8, 12
Been thanked: 0

Postby clam111 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Epic Surf Kite review: Got my Epic Surf kites last week and even though it was 39 air and 39 water temp, I had to check them out. Besides the new kite smell, the bags are top notch and I like the wet/dry bag and all the other goodies that come with the kite. The wind that day was 18-23 out of the North with chest high waves, perfect day to try the 8 meter. First of all, I really like the construction, not only did it feel tough, there was a lot of attention spent on detail. I like the choice of inflation valves and used the large one to pump it up. It was late in the day so I needed to keep moving, I heard some people were concerned with the v shape and leaving the kite on the beach, I had to laugh a little as it was no problem at all to put some sand on it. I used a stock bar and after hooking up and checking everything, put the kite into the air. Lucky me, no adjustment - lets go kite. In the chest high surf the kite lived up to my expectations, it drifted very well and while I was riding the wave didn't have to look or be concerned that the kite was doing something different. I was also impressed with how quickly I felt dialed in with this kite. I was the first one in the water and it was very easy to stay up wind while my buddies were rigging there kites. I felt totally comfortable on the 8 meter and if it would have had more time and warmer, would like to have tried the 5 meter. The Surf 8 pivoted on the down loops making for some really smooth turns. Overall, I am totally happy with my new Surf Kites and cannot wait to try them again. Now that I have the Surf 5, 8 and 12, I will not be needing my Renegade 9. Anyone interested in a perfect condition (only used twice) Renegade 9 please e-mail me - schneck21@msn.com. I am 52 years old, have been kiting for 10 years, strapless for 4 years and wanted a kite for the waves mostly and I've been lucky enough to finally have found the Kite. I'm also lucky enough to live in the Outer Banks and kite all year round. I hope this quick review helps anyone out who love the ocean as much as I do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”