Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will spleene ever make the zone board again?

Forum for kitesurfers
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Will spleene ever make the zone board again?

Postby robertovillate » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:27 pm

That was a great board Fred...probably 2005 -06

I had a 2007 Rip28...such a smooth ride and good pop

all Spleenes I've had are BOMBER construction...never any problems

still have my 07 Zone and it's probably gonna last forever

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm

robertovillate wrote:still have my 07 Zone and it's probably gonna last forever
I don't know if it will "last forever"... I might just "borrow" it if you leave it un attended :wink:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Lots of surfboard have the carbon on the rail from in front of the front fins to behind the trailing fin to do pretty much the opposite of allowing for flex in that part of the board. If you can bend the board more than most surfboards between the fins, you'd have to be a real front foot surfer and narrow your stance to get rocker when you want it and widen it to get less when you don't. Counter intuitive when you start going steep or fast and need some rocker to keep it sane. Even if your board has nicely engineered flex, moving the back foot all the way back to the kick pad ramp would decrease rocker under the fins.

Haven't tried one, so just bullshiting, but I see a lot of this.
vhs-004.jpg
vhs-004.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 2594 times

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 pm

robertovillate wrote:That was a great board Fred...probably 2005 -06

just had rear footstrap insert pull out but otherwise the little zone has been unbreakable. I thought it was wood construction but I see foam in this area.

Will be fixed this weekend :)

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 am

FredBGG wrote:Anyway... how old is this board?

Hi,

you can check all Spleene boards here: http://spleene-kiteboarding.com/?page_id=1508

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-------------------
www.spleene-kiteboarding.com

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 am

max wrote:just had rear footstrap insert pull out but otherwise the little zone has been unbreakable. I thought it was wood construction but I see foam in this area.
Hi,

the very first Zone boards had a foam core to save weight. These boards were really super light. That was in 2007 and 2009. Later we only used wood cores.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-------------------
www.spleene-kiteboarding.com

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:26 pm

max wrote:
robertovillate wrote:That was a great board Fred...probably 2005 -06

just had rear footstrap insert pull out but otherwise the little zone has been unbreakable. I thought it was wood construction but I see foam in this area.

Will be fixed this weekend :)
I added an inset to a Zone 2007.
Here is what I did.

I scrapped a fair bit of foam away to create a cavity large than the hole in the top skin.
I made sure I scrapped the foam out till I could see the bottom skin from the inside and got the inside surface really clean.
I then tok the inset and a long bolt for the insert. I put a thin film of wax on the thread of the bolt and inside of the insert and threaded the bolt into the insert.
I then set the insert in the board using regular 5 minute epoxy glue.

The insert held perfectly. Really strong.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 pm

FredBGG wrote: The insert held perfectly. Really strong.
thanks Fred . . .

Unfortunately, it tore a bit more than a neat circle when the insert came out. I have the proper stainless inserts and have now glued in a new one with an epoxy + fibre mix. While i was at it, i added two more inserts (as you once told me about . . . i think it was you) just forward of the original rear strap.

I agree with you that the board can surf better with the rear foot slightly forward . . . well at least it felt like it did when I tried it . . . probably due to its short length.

I went back to my TT's and naish gun for this past week of strong wind but I really missed the small zone. Probably my goto board most days.

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 am

Well, Starsky has an interesting point/question and FRED has the experience with 2 years of SPleen Flows. I for one am very interested in bomber construction, thick railed, full deck pad, inserted 5 ft 3 with Fish with lots of surface area, little volume and the ability to strap a FOIL on there someday.

The concept is great, it will be very interesting to hear more reviews from people who typically ride in surf on surfboards...AND to see what Spleene presents as their bolt-on Foil System and what it will cost...

and then of course, to read all the blogs of those who decide to fashion their own foils. Would be killer for travel if it is a good ride in the waves, save alot of stress when opening your boardbag once you arrive at your kite holiday destination knowing its pretty bomb proof.

Im also wondering if pushing hard in the middle of the board when cranking a turn on a wave face would create the type of rockerline that you really WANT in that moment..and if the rebound is anything like people mention when riding the hollow Carbon Aviso boards.. .hope we can get some mildly unbiased reviews soon.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:40 am

I have not ridden the new (2014) Spleene Zones...but I want to...hehe :naughty:

I have owned a 2007 ZOne for 7 years and still love it. I sort of got into directional boards as a result of m love of this board. I moved on to strapless riding in 2009 and my first board was an Aviso 5/8 Lost Round Nose Fish and I absolutely love that board as well.

I probably ride the Aviso more than anything else, then my Firewire Taj 5/10..both strapless, mostly as a function of my current "discipline" of strapless riding.

But every once in a while I still like to get the Zone out to rip really hard strapped and boost big in the waves. Chirojoseph, my Zone definitely has that feeling of "rebound" and is a super cush ride in any kind of chop because of the rocker and flex of the board...and surprisingly efficient in light wind. The Aviso is also very "cush" in the respect of the flex in the hull and deck...but the boards are still different and great in their own ways. B comparison to the Aviso the Firewire is relatively stiff feeling but cuts through chop better and is a nice fast board for bigger/steeper waves, simply due to the shape...but needs more kite power to maintain proper speed.

I think it is a utopian idea that one board will do it all, and it's nice to have the board that works best for you in various conditions if that is your situation. I tend to get it all at one point or another...big and nasty,big and clean, small and mushy, etc etc...so it's nice to change up the boards to suit the conditions.

I too am eager to see how well one of the new Zones will integrate with a foil. know from experience that my Zone is bomber construction and has held up to incredible abuse. I know that the foil masts and wings are very fragile, as are the boards typically being used with them....so traveling with that gear is probably a worrysome thing. For the world cup guys maybe you have to go with the light weight carbon boards, but the Zone is actually very light but lacks volume...and i don't know if that is an important factor or not.

Someone must have tried this Zone/Foil combo by now??? so please give us a report!! It would be nice to have a board that rides so well with or without a foil.

Return to “Kitesurfing”