Forum for kitesurfers
VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Waterproof action cams

Postby VOMKB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 am

Kamicuza, you may WANT TO FOLLOW some of the links to see that a few don't need cases.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:28 am

VOMKB wrote:Kamicuza, you may WANT TO FOLLOW some of the links to see that a few don't need cases.
Then you should have edited those with cases out of your post :naughty:

The Fly looks kewl but... is it waterproof? how good is the IQ? battery life? file size?

Polaroid XS100 = Ion? but a lot cheaper :o

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Geez, I was just going to blindly buy a GoPro. I didn't know there were so many other brands.

I'm only going to use the action camera for kiting and maybe some snowboarding.

Seeing there is a fogging problem with gopro, what would be best alternative for kiting?

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Add to the list of cams that don't require a case: fight the fogging!
Features and quality are another discussion...

The ghost requires a waterproof case.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 am

Eurus wrote:The ghost requires a waterproof case.
I think the original might have but the Ghost HD is "Waterproof to 3m from the box without additional casing"...

I think for kiting, so long as they are dunk proof we'll be ok...

Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Vacaloca » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 am

ptraykovski wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
BWD wrote:Question:
If you mount it on the kite (or lines) will the ion air pro's auto-rotation feature keep the horizon level when you change direction?
Or is it just a "flip" not a real "rotation"?
Ooh, good question!

It says it has a "g-sensor" so only can flip it right side up. Needs a gyro to do real dynamic rotations.

I'm working on making a very limited beta production run of this soon. Its not perfect yet, but gets a little better each time I work on it:

viewtopic.php?t=2383020&p=820898

here is a combined rotation correction from the imu backpac and a bit of warp stabilizer processing from adobe. you can see the horizon is still sometimes ~ 20 degrees off but will fix that soon I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mDWMnx9TLM

ion does look nice though. Like the that contour like tube shape so much better!
That is an amazing video shot. Looks great. Congrats ptraykovski. What are you working on exactly? Hardware or soft?

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Interesting... just looked at amazon.com - when I bought my ROAM2 in 2012, it was $142 new... now the new ones are $100 more expensive :o guess with the company going under, people are milking the price on the very good thing the R2 is...

Ion Air 3 looks like it could hit the spot - but I want a line mount for it 8) Stringy...?
I got my hands on the ION last year and actually made a line mount for it.
Anyhow the camera is nice and its streamline design makes it perfect for filming from lines
if any of you get one of these cameras and need a solution to the lines, feel free to send me a PM I may be able to help you out with it.

cheers-stringy

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 am

stringy wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Interesting... just looked at amazon.com - when I bought my ROAM2 in 2012, it was $142 new... now the new ones are $100 more expensive :o guess with the company going under, people are milking the price on the very good thing the R2 is...

Ion Air 3 looks like it could hit the spot - but I want a line mount for it 8) Stringy...?
Anyhow the camera is nice and its streamline design makes it perfect for filming from lines
if any of you get one of these cameras and need a solution to the lines, feel free to send me a PM I may be able to help you out with it.

cheers-stringy
How did you find the quality?

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
stringy wrote:

cheers-stringy
How did you find the quality?
It seems so long ago, I can't remember everything about it, but here is what I do recall.
I thought it was on par with the other cams I used,
the overall construction was good. anodized aluminum finish made it look refined, but the reality is plastic exterior will wear better. the lens is domed so its easy to scratch.
a wifi app allows easy view and setting modifications.
a nice little camera!

Return to “Kitesurfing”