Forum for kitesurfers
Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m

Postby Burness » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:42 am

Just got back from a great session on the 14.5 Flight. Pretty powered up in 10-12 knots with 135x147 TT. I am close to 170lbs. Nobody else launched- figured not enough wind I guess!

docheart
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Durand Beach
Woodlawn Beach
Seneca Lake
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: freeride, wave surfing and kitefoiling
Gear: Slingshot RPM kites, North Neo
Mako King board
Celeritas surfboard
Slingshot Simulator and Hoverglide foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby docheart » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:09 am

Yesterday two us, each about 170lbs, took turns flying my new OR Light Flite 17, on Mako King 165s. There seemed to be almost no wind and the digital handheld meter read avg 6 mph, gusts 8.4 mph on the beach. So, amazing low end. Handled well with rapid responsiveness and had low bar pressure, good upwind ability. Easily relaunched after a miscue. My only question/concern if someone could address is that I pumped it to the recommended 6 psi and it was still floppy while flying. I brought it back to shore and pumped it higher-- not measured-- and it was better. I don't want to overpump, but what have you all found? Thanks

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:18 am

docheart wrote:Yesterday two us, each about 170lbs, took turns flying my new OR Light Flite 17, on Mako King 165s. There seemed to be almost no wind and the digital handheld meter read avg 6 mph, gusts 8.4 mph on the beach. So, amazing low end. Handled well with rapid responsiveness and had low bar pressure, good upwind ability. Easily relaunched after a miscue. My only question/concern if someone could address is that I pumped it to the recommended 6 psi and it was still floppy while flying. I brought it back to shore and pumped it higher-- not measured-- and it was better. I don't want to overpump, but what have you all found? Thanks
I have not noticed mine being floppy. I always pump my kites up nice and firm. Still prefer to do the finger flick and get that snear drum sound vs pump gauge.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:26 am

docheart wrote:Yesterday two us, each about 170lbs, took turns flying my new OR Light Flite 17, on Mako King 165s. There seemed to be almost no wind and the digital handheld meter read avg 6 mph, gusts 8.4 mph on the beach. So, amazing low end. Handled well with rapid responsiveness and had low bar pressure, good upwind ability. Easily relaunched after a miscue. My only question/concern if someone could address is that I pumped it to the recommended 6 psi and it was still floppy while flying. I brought it back to shore and pumped it higher-- not measured-- and it was better. I don't want to overpump, but what have you all found? Thanks
I've said this in another post but since getting a decent electric pump for my 2011 16m dyno, one thing is apparent is I would not trust those guages. 6psi from the accurate electric pump (firefighter use these to pump up pontoons) is far harder than I read a brand new hand pump with a gauge. Throw the gauge away mate and pump it until it pings, wing tip won't fold and you have to push the leading edge fairly hard to make an indent.

The flite didn't fold and go floppy when I demoed it. A very friendly, smooth kite with a decent bottom end.

docheart
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Durand Beach
Woodlawn Beach
Seneca Lake
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: freeride, wave surfing and kitefoiling
Gear: Slingshot RPM kites, North Neo
Mako King board
Celeritas surfboard
Slingshot Simulator and Hoverglide foil

Postby docheart » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks. Not trusting the gauge seems to be reasonable. Trust the ping and feel.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Think I down looped that Flite 6 times.
Sweet kite
:cool2:

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
2014 North Whip 5'9
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 pm

All of these reviews are slowly edging me towards grabbing one for the 10-12 knot days.

For those of you that have been riding, what kind of power do you have a at 10-12 knots? I'm 180 lbs, pretty experienced, and would probably ride a surfboard mostly in that wind range. Anything below 10, I'm not messing with, basically the kite would fill the 10 -14 knot day, anything over 14, I'm on my 12, and anything over 18, I'm on my 10.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Out at the Waves in the outer banks, wind has died out. Only two kites riding are a flysurfer and a Flite... Need we say much more?
Attachments
image.jpg

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.

Postby matth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 pm

I0 mph seems to be the magic number for me with this kite(17m Flite). Yes it will go in a little less wind , but relaunch ,and upwind are not there for me, others may get better results. At ten I am riding and can even pop small jumps. 12 TO 16 mph you are fully powered.
To me that's what owning a 17m kite is all about, yes you can ride a 12m , but you are not fully powered and able to practice jumps and tricks on a TT.
So far I am very happy, we get lots of light wind days around here, and I need to maximize my opportunity's to get on the water. So far this kite has given my three days I would not have been able to kite this spring.
I have to admit I like light wind kiting , something very peaceful about it.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 am

17m in Hatteras.
Attachments
image.jpg