Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

When to use Stopper Ball

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

I am getting rid of my bar now to replace it with a Slingshot bar with stopper ball in hopes to stop my hands from going numb. Now on Edge with Ozone bar, but after being out for more than 2 hours my hands go numb and often last for days furthermore when kiting season is on, we are out for 4+ hours days in a row. So my question is do you use the stopper ball only when mowing the lawn or do you leave in place to jump on lighter wind days? Hooked and unhooked?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Re: When to use Stopper Ball

Postby dyyylan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:53 pm

Sounds to me like something is wrong, your hands shouldn't be going numb or even get tired. Are you gripping the bar really hard? Try keeping your thumbs on the top of the bar (not like you're riding a bicycle) and just using your fingers to steer. The only time you should really ever grip the bar and squeeze is if you unhook and hold it with one hand

To answer your question, I never use the stopper ball while riding, it's completely pointless. The only time I slide it down is to keep my kite sheeted while I'm doing the laces up on my boots.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:59 pm

I remove all stopper balls. I wrap all my bars with cycle tape too (had chronic finger bruising before).
Sounds like you need to adjust your steering line settings or get into some kites with more pulleys?
I tend to believe that the market was into lighter bar pressure back between 2008-2010 when pulleys were in. Now its gone the other way....most guys tend prefer heavy bar pressure... aka 'direct feel' just my two cents....
:rollgrin:

air2raley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: south padre
Gear: best and flysurfer

Postby air2raley » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:23 am

i too kite for hours at a time many days in a row. i never use a stopper. what helped my hand fatigue the most was moving both hands to the center of thE bar. still can pull off any hooked moves. good luck. might want to check your health as well

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:55 am

Hmm. I grip the bar correctly ie fingers and thumbs close to touching chicken. I have big hands so maybe that's it. Not pulling in the bar unless need more power. Hanging onto anything even with little pressure surely can cause this? Maybe my nerves are in a weird place. Haha.

Nobody uses the stopper in light winds like 12 knots to do board offs?

Thanks anyways

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:20 am

One thing I missed on the north bar was the stopper. Glad I got it back. I'm always using as a secondary trim (learnt in hey he old days, don't need a whole lot of throw) and YES, for old school boards offs, deadmans etc etc the stopper is indeed used every session. And yes in the lower end of each kites wind range I use the stopper to make it easier to keep the kite powered in the right spot so I can use my edge on the gusts.

That being said I also use ozone kites with an ozone bar and you just adjust. Of course if unhooking etc then the stopper goes up and away...

Depends on your style, you can't say it's not necessary just because you are in boots and doing wake style moves. Not everyone is...infact not many are....respect though, wish I was...

Doing board offs and grabs etc on the zephyr does require a strong hand on the bar to keep it pulled in...was try same on the cats and edges...as I said the stopper is a welcome addition back to be honest.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:42 am

In lighter winds I don't don't have my hands so close to the center of the bar. The stronger the wind, the closer to center I move my hands. As someone else said, do you grip the bar with your thumb on the bottom of the bar, or resting on top of the bar?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:51 am

You probably have circulation problems for most people their grip fails long before their fingers go numb.

I only use a stopper if I take a break from kiting and my grip is weak, but how you use the stopper ball is up to you. You can leave it on all the time, but be aware in high winds the stopper will spank you in a crash landing. When it nukes right before you land remember to release the stopper. I had to learn this the hard way. In light winds you can just leave it on all the time.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:21 am

I use the stopper ball only when mowing the lawn in steady winds (+/- 3 mph). I don't use it that much, but it's certainly nice to have on those occasions when I do want to use it.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:49 am

One of the only times I use it is when I need to rescue someone's board. I pull the stopper down a bit to help hold the power in my kite while I fly and steer the kite with one hand and hold the board in the other.

I also use it in light marginal winds to keep from accidentally sheeting out to far a unintentionally dumping power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”