Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, paracuru.
Style: wave
Gear: Wainman rabit, north wam 5.10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

airush wave 2014 or north neo 2014

Postby risuguay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi, i 'm planing to buy one of this kites for me and my wife.

I',m 177, and 77 kilos, and usually goes on a wam 5.10 surfboard sometimes strapless.
My wife 167, and 56 kilos on a twintip.

I prefer waves, and usually sail with onshore conditions, small waves, from 15 to 30 knots. My wife prefer freeride, altough maybe she will try my surfboard.

The sizes will be 10-8-6 or 9-7-5. Which one do you you recomend me? haven't read much comparation between this 2 kites.

Thanks.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Re: airush wave 2014 or north neo 2014

Postby Coloradokiter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi,

I do not have any info on the Neo but I do have a lot of time on the Wave's. I have a 12/9/7. I use the 9 mostly and my girlfriend uses it too and loves it. The 9 with a skimboard goes easily at 15 knots and I use it with my Cypher 5'8" up to around 25 knots. the 7 Wave I use easily around 20 knots thru 35+ knots although once used it at 40 knots with no issues but it was a shitty gusty day. The 9 really has a huge range and can easily deal with 30 knots but since I have the 7, I just rig appropriately. No experience on the 5m but the 7 is comfy I can't see getting a 5. My girlfriend uses the 7 up to about 30 knots and then she's not keen on going out in anything higher anyway. I ride only strapless weigh in at 175 lbs. Been kiting for 12 years and strapless for 7 and the Wave is the best kite I've been on.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:08 am

Very very different kites. One is far less powerful, can be looped like crazy to get you into position, but doesn't have that power on tap ..or immediately power. One is very powerful and should be downsized considerably, isn't as precise but suites a certain style.

I would wait until some more crew give their feedbCk on the neo or better, ride both and see.

If you get a 9m wave make sure you get a 7m neo to test back to back.

seking
Rare Poster

Postby seking » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:56 am

I've never flown the neo but have a wave 9 and 7. It sounds like the neo is way more powerful, but I can tell you I find the waves to be powerful for their size as well and am often on my 9 when others are on 10 and 11. The waves are really fast, generate good power when you want but can also pivot turn without power when you need it. They are very precise and bar pressure is perfect for feedback but not too heavy. I find them to be amazing wave kites and find I can get around close out sections and back onto the wave better than any kites I've had in the past. Drift, relaunch, depower, etc are all excellent. I also find they jump really well and would likely satisfy someone on a twin tip, though I just ride regular surfboards with wax so cannot comment too much on that. In the surf they can make you a better kiter.
The 9m has crazy wind range and is now my biggest kite (165 lbs). I've been on it when others are on the 12 Wave and though they can get up wind a little better, the added speed of the 9 makes it workable. I'd put the wind range of the 9 up against any kite today. The 7 has some overlap to the 9 but not too bad and is such a good kite. In fact, I'd say its the closest to a perfect kite I've found in 12 years of kiting.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 am

Yeh forgot to add I highly rate the wave as a surf kite. TT it's okay, quite versatile. Needs to be in its top range to really get any decent jumps but when you are it is surprisingly good. Easy to unhook as well. Yeh really great kite and a superb wave kite, right up there with the best.

risuguay
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gran Canaria
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, paracuru.
Style: wave
Gear: Wainman rabit, north wam 5.10

Postby risuguay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

So the wave seems to have more fanatics, although i think that is because the 2014 neo is so new, thath not many people have tested them.

For me is very important low bar pressure and wind range, and as i read, airush wave seems to be the winner. Is thath right?

By the way, I'm from Gran Canaria, so if any one if interested in a trip to Canary Island, just ask.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:09 am

Coloradokiter and Seking,

Would you still choose 7 and 9 as a combo now knowing the wind range of the 9 or would you think that 9 and 6 is a better match?

Hesitating a bit about getting 5, 7 and 9 or just 6 and 9. I'm 95 kg and I'm sure the wind range is enough for the 6 - 9 combo but some times it's nice to have the 7 as that one seems to be the sweet spot size at some locations e.g Mauritius.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm

My buddy used to ride Rebels for years and switched to all Neo's. He said they have less power than the Rebel (the 2013's), and less upwind ability, but likes them better overall for free riding - he rides only surfboards.

From what I can tell they don't have the low end of something like the Lithium but the Neo's do have a better top end than the Lith. He's hanging in there on the high end of its wind range when I'm topped out.

That being said, apples to apples - relative same board size on a given day, the Lithium has a better low end. In marginal conditions, we weigh almost the same, and I'm going up, down, and all around; he's not. The Lithium is one of the more powerful kites out there size for size, and I hear the Wave 9 m isn't too far behind. So I'm guessing there may not be too big a difference in power between the Neo and the Wave, at least in the 9 meter size.

From what my friend said, the Neo is a "sheet and go" kite. The Wave I understand to be less so, but perhaps doesn't need to be active as something like the Airush Varial or the Slingshot RPM.

I don't anyone who isn't happy with their Neo as well. I'll bet you'd be happy with either one.

Btw, I just picked up a 9 m Wave. Can't wait to use it.
Last edited by windtzu on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seking
Rare Poster

Postby seking » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

magnusod : I'd definitely get the 7/9 combo over the 6/9. The 7 is a magic kite and although there is some overlap, its worth it. You will get much more use out of the 7 than the 6. Also, fyi, I use the analog bar with the stock long lines. I never liked long lines before but now love them. I think it adds low end range too. Nice clean simple bar.

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I am agreeing with seking, go the 7/9 combo. The overlap is fine and I can not see you using the 6 at all, especially at your weight. With the 7/9 combo you'll always be in a great sweet spot. I only weigh in at 175# and can't see myself on the 6. The 7/9 are magic kites for me. I may get the girlfriend a 6 but she only weighs in at 130# and she loves my 7....actually I may have to get her a 7/9 combo too since she is always grabbing my kites :thumb:

Also just get the Analog bar. It's simple and works great. You can get by with one bar, set on the inner setting for both kites if you want to save some money although I have a bar for each. On the 7 I definitely like the inner setting, on the 9 I have the outer setting but it doesn't really matter...just personal preference on that one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”