Stormsure is the same I think.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Which is the best glue for valves?

Postby edt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:41 pm

guys just a warning, be careful using any glue designed to be used with vinyl it can melt the polyurethane that the bladder is made of --- it won't hurt the valve which is plastic but the polyurethane can melt and if you get a wrinkle it will ruin your glue job. Glues like aquaseal and 3m 5200 (red) have been used for several years so we know they are fine to restick a valve. Also while acetone can remove some glues it won't remove aquaseal or 5200. Any solvent which removes those will also dissolve the polyurethane so make sure you restick the valve correctly the first time. If you make a mistake you have to cut out the valve fix the bladder with some tear aid (use tear aid type a, type b is for vinyl), cut a hole for the valve and restick. If you are doing valve resticks you are also repairing your own bladder, so you will want a roll of tear aid type a anyway.

woodfu
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby woodfu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:14 am

I've been using this for a few years. A German friend bought me a few tubes http://www.pattex.de/do-it-yourself-mit ... arent.html

Works well and doesn't require weight to bond, but i have no idea what the glue is or is designed to stick. Always wondered what glue was actually used to glue valves and bladders? Is there a general type rather then a brand that can be used?

KiteFrisco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Frisco, NC
Favorite Beaches: Frisco, NC
Style: Waves, Flat Water
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KiteFrisco » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:25 am

Seems like people like the replacement valves except for the 15 USD cost. I've found them to work well. I'd be skeptical about several glue adhesives -- fine for the first application, but the residue could be a problem with subsequent repairs.

Has anyone tried the same stuff that's on the replacement valves? I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff used in 3M transfer tapes (without backing). Note: this is not the typical double-sided tape -- it's just the goo that's used on tape -- pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA). I'm thinking that you'd clean off the old valve and bladder, apply the transfer tape to the valve, cut out the center, remove the liner, and apply to the bladder just as you would the new valve.

Several flavors can be bought here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#transfer-tape/=st8lcp

I'm thinking 9482PC would be good, but they don't sell it wide enough (perhaps it can be overlapped ok since the goo is very conformal, or buy custom cut). F9460PC may be another good choice.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Im convinced the glue on the aftermarket valves is double-sided tear aid.
Impossible to find double-sided tear aid on the market - if someone has please do share.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:30 am

Discovered a delaminated outlet valve on the weekend. This was on a valve that I had re-glued with some vinyl repair glue two years ago, so I suppose the fact that it lasted this long is not bad.
I would have used DP8005 but didn't have any on hand at the time, and figured it wouldn't hurt to try something else.

On the same kite, I had re-glued the inlet valve with DP8005 the previous season. So three years on the DP8005 and its still attached like sh*t to blanket.

Pics below:
1. Original inlet valve still nicely attached.

2. Delaminated outlet valve - you can see some of the previous glue around the edges.

3. Bladder and valve wiped with acetone. Bladder stretched over a small box with a flat surface. Two batteries to prevent the bladder from wrinkling. Yellow shopping bag plastic to prevent excess glue from bonding the bladder's insides together. Valve put inside a plumbing fitting (end cap of a 1/2" Johnson coupling) to provide a bearing surface.

4. Squirt some DP8005 on the valve and carefully place it on the bladder so the holes line up and the valve head is oriented correctly. Place another battery on top to weight it down. Leave overnight to cure.

5. The end result.
Attachments
inlet_valve_3_yrs.JPG
1. Originally glued back the inlet valve about 3 years ago. Still good.
outlet_valve_delam.JPG
2. Delaminated outlet valve.
setup.JPG
3. Bladder and valve setup and ready to be glued.
done.JPG
4. Glued the valve to the bladder and put some weight on it.
endresult.JPG
5.The end result - should be good for the next few years.

cmonlo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Best, Epic, Aggression

Postby cmonlo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 pm

So I keep reading that Aquaseal is a popular choice. Which version of Aquaseal?
On the Gearaid store, there are multiple versions:
Aquaseal FD
Aquaseal UV
Aquaseal SR
Aquaseal SIL
Aquaseal NEO

https://www.gearaid.com/search?q=aquaseal&type=product

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:58 pm

I've used stick-on replacements and Aquaseal. I abuse my kites - they spend lots of weeks in the back of my truck in 85-95F florida summer sun. I keep my kites for years - oldest is 8 yrs and newest is 3. I've had lots and lots of delaminations...
Stickons always come off after a couple years. I've never had an aqua seal glued valve come off or leak. Yeah I've had to redo a couple by not being careful & then I just get some old bladder material (talk to your local kite shop they probably have plenty they will share with you) to make a patch.
The DP-8005 sounds interesting - I will check it out when I run out of aqua seal

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 pm

cmonlo wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 pm
So I keep reading that Aquaseal is a popular choice. Which version of Aquaseal?
On the Gearaid store, there are multiple versions:
Aquaseal FD
Aquaseal UV
Aquaseal SR
Aquaseal SIL
Aquaseal NEO

https://www.gearaid.com/search?q=aquaseal&type=product
Aqualseal FD is what I have in my freezer at the moment. I've also used it to reseal a seam on my drysuit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”