Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Make kites in the USA?

Postby rtz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 pm

It seems kite prices keep going up and up. Is the cost of living going up in China? Shipping prices causing the increase? Raw materials costs?

If you've watched kite factory videos before; watch this entire video(or most of it). Seems like they could be sewing up kites just the same? Question is though; price per unit?

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Make kites in the USA?

Postby coleman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 pm

if i had to take a guess i would say it has more to do with the degradation of the US dollar. as long as the federal reserve keeps creating currency out of thin air, we will see our dollar lose its value.

let keep our fingers crossed we dont piss russia off too badly in the coming days. the have the power to tank our economy right now if you ask me

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm

In this video they say they go through 6 miles a week of those rolls of denim!

I'll drive over there if anyone is interested in setting something up.

http://round-house.com/tour/factorytour.html

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Why on earth would anyone in America work in a factory when they can sit at home in front of their 60inch plasma , smoke butts, drink buds all day, and still get a check????????????

on a serious note these types of jobs are slowly coming back. Besides pay rising overseas, you have no shipping, better quality control , lot less travel expenses etc. Also from design to finish product time would increase. I was watching a show recently about how the garment district in NY city is making a comeback.
Crazyfly claims their products are produced in Europe now. Things made in China always scare me. They are notorious for using inferior material when ever possible. Dog food , drywall, toys with lead paint, etc, The horror stories are endless. Not to mention their complete lack of environmental and human right concerns.
Last edited by matth on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 am

For windsurfing there are a few custom board makers in the US. I'm not familiar with any custom sail makers in the US but I'm sure there are some.

Are there any custom kite makers in the US/world?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:14 am

norcom wrote:For windsurfing there are a few custom board makers in the US. I'm not familiar with any custom sail makers in the US but I'm sure there are some.

I believe Northwave sails are MADE at the gorge

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:20 am

In my opinion, it would have to start with someone really small or really huge to make this work.

Small and custom and would have to ask for a premium and if the demand is there, expand and get better efficiencies with volume. They would have to prove the concept and then expand.

One of the problems is the current supply chain. Most of the raw materials are also most likely made in China, so the US supply chain isn't efficiently available.

So it would take a huge effort to get the economies of scale to be competitive.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48 am

matth wrote:
norcom wrote:For windsurfing there are a few custom board makers in the US. I'm not familiar with any custom sail makers in the US but I'm sure there are some.

I believe Northwave sails are MADE at the gorge
Yes and I think Sailworks are also made there. But I'm not sure how much of a custom (your dimensions) job you can get from them other than maybe color? But I don't know. With boards you can pretty much request whatever you want and the shaper will make it.

You would think it's easier to sew up a kite than to make a board but I guess not. I've seen videos of people making their own sails and it's quite tedious to lay out the pattern and sew it all up. I'm guessing it's even harder for a kite that has twice as much area.

Similar with mountain/road bike frames. You can get custom builders to make you a frame to your specifications. Though the custom design is quite different from high end full suspension mtb frames and usually much simpler.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:04 am

I know sail boat sails have made here in the US for a long time. I believe there are still many sail lofts around.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Been thanked: 0

Postby poools81 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 am

ok im in lets try and start one up!

Return to “Kitesurfing”