Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lou wainman quits wainman Hawaii

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 pm

william_rx7 wrote:ZOMG!
Never liked that pot-smoking gangster artwork anyway.
Time for the next "life-style".
What does artwork have to do with how the kites perform?
The gear from Wainman all works very well, artwork is a completey subjective thing that should have nothing to do with what gear a kiter chooses to use.
Franz, Bertrand, Nico, Aaron, Sharon and Drew are all affiliated to Lou, not the money guy.
The design of the kites, twintips and surfboards all are due to direct input from Lou, Franz, Bertrand and Nico (and others).
I would think Lou's leaving will have a greater impact than Shannon leaving Best.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:52 pm

I would agree olnb. Often when stuff like this happens it's due to some basic philosophical difference in the future direction of the company. For some reason I feel like we are about to see some big changes in the kites.

Not much has changed in the design of the kites since the company first started. Perhaps some at WH feel they need to change their identity in the coming years. This is pure speculation.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave

Postby NYKiter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm

I bet your right about something new and radical may be on the horizon.
Lou is one of the great innovators. I hope this is the case, really bummed about this news.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:
william_rx7 wrote:ZOMG!
Never liked that pot-smoking gangster artwork anyway.
Time for the next "life-style".
What does artwork have to do with how the kites perform?
The gear from Wainman all works very well, artwork is a completey subjective thing that should have nothing to do with what gear a kiter chooses to use.
I would never buy a kite for the artwork its true. But I would not buy a kite because of its artwork. For example I would not buy a kite if I felt the artwork created a poor role model for my kids, and if I thought it would create negative publicity for kiteboarding in the eyes of a wary public.
_____

I do think its bad business to name a company after a cult of personality, and then let that personality leave. And I think its bizarre to sell your name to somebody else, and lose control over it.

Jake

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 pm

jakemoore wrote:I would never buy a kite for the artwork its true. But I would not buy a kite because of its artwork. For example I would not buy a kite if I felt the artwork created a poor role model for my kids, and if I thought it would create negative publicity for kiteboarding in the eyes of a wary public.
_____

I do think its bad business to name a company after a cult of personality, and then let that personality leave. And I think its bizarre to sell your name to somebody else, and lose control over it.

Jake
Do you feel that the Wainman kite graphics are creating a poor role model that will effect your children?
I agree that naming a company after an owner that does not have financial control is a bad idea.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Peter Lynn kites.... :D

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Naah, the badass rabbit image would be perfect for the kids! Saturday morning cartoons, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, and Badass Rabbit.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:17 am

My kids love my rabbits. They especially like the big mama and her smoking gun. I think my kids understand that my kite is an inanimate object and not a role model. Plus they like guns.

Actually that is why I have the kites. Not because of how they perform! What an absurd idea! No, I buy my kites based on the image that they help me project. And I am really into cartoons, so wainman has the market covered there. If I was into flying penises I would choose best. I just want to project that image man, it's all about the image.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave

Postby NYKiter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Yeah, this company will die without him.
Best seems to be muscling through without Shannon with a lot of investment dollars in team, marketing and development. But Wainman has never had that big of a presence. People bought the kites because they believed in Lou's vision for gear.

Think back to when the company was founded. He wanted to make kites and boards that stayed in the market as long as they were relevant, not based on the model year. So if a 2012 board rocked, offer it to people as long as it was relevant. Don't re-invent graphics and technology just to show year to year change that is unnecessary.

I believe the gear was originally designed around his visions, and with that lost, the company is likely to fold. Kind of like Eclipse folded when Dmitri left. Eclipse wasn't named after D, but he was the face of the company and it was where he had taken ideas Airush wouldn't let him develop.

I hope Lou made some money out of the arrangement and moves on to something better. :thumb:
I'm also surprised Lou lasted there as long as he did.

Return to “Kitesurfing”