Lou wainman quits wainman Hawaii

Forum for kitesurfers
intotheair
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Ho'okipa
Style: Expressive!
Gear: Trusted!
Brand Affiliation: Custom Products Only!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lou wainman quits wainman Hawaii

Postby intotheair » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

They were always (as company) a little bit aside, with different approach and style, so I think even if they are reading this, they don't give much sh** about all this assumptions and 'wonder' statements on forum. And the 'quitting' entry from Lou disappeared from his facebook . . .

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Maybe there is nothing for Wainman to say.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:09 pm

How many people who ride a Wainman kite bought it because of Lou?
They bought it because it performs well, right?
The question now is, how much influence did Lou have on the design?
The success of the future Wainman will be the performance of the kites...if Lou is with it or not.

Look at Best...who bought the kite because of Shannon? The majority bought it because of the 2 for 1 deal...and that's when Best had the biggest market share, plus a kite that full filled the needs of the mass (Waroo).

This is not to discredit Lou or Shannon for what they do/did for the sport!

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rtz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:35 am

Best pretty much ended the company in 2010 when they hosed up the Waroo from what it was.

Just think if they brought it back (the good version) and sold it for $400. Would sell 10,000+ of them.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Insta #kitekooks
Gear: Loyal to the Wingsurfer. All kite bladders delaminated.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14 am

"How many people who ride a Wainman kite bought it because of Lou?"

U gotta look at it this way. If the company was called catdog kites with no grass roots riders behind it for expert input it would be very difficult to get a foothold in an already saturated market.

People trust the name/gear because Lou is a great rider, originator, pioneer, well respected, and has a huge amount of kiting experience - that's what I think anyway. You take the kit for a spin and you expect to be riding kit with the right input and design. All the most successful brands have someone behind them with a huuuuuuuge amount of kiting experience.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:51 pm

At the end of the day the company is obviously going to be continuing on with the direction that they have planned. The company has a new exciting kite on the market and a solid line up to compliment it. I can't see people dumping their wainman kites because Lou has left. If the kites continue to evolve with what riders know than I can't see them not continuing to buy new kites. Yeah it is unfortunate that Lou isn't part of the company that bears his name but the spirit of what the company is about should be bigger than one man. Best seems to be doing well and all that I hear about their kites now is good things. They have the right team in place to steer their products to being the "Best" on the market :lol:

James

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:37 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:"How many people who ride a Wainman kite bought it because of Lou?"

U gotta look at it this way. If the company was called catdog kites with no grass roots riders behind it for expert input it would be very difficult to get a foothold in an already saturated market.

People trust the name/gear because Lou is a great rider, originator, pioneer, well respected, and has a huge amount of kiting experience - that's what I think anyway. You take the kit for a spin and you expect to be riding kit with the right input and design. All the most successful brands have someone behind them with a huuuuuuuge amount of kiting experience.
I totally agree on that. A name is a "door opener".

Interesting to follow the new Best marketing.
I think their former strategy was more successful.
But let's see, I guess too early to say, wishing them luck anyway.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Toby wrote:How many people who ride a Wainman kite bought it because of Lou?
They bought it because it performs well, right?
The question now is, how much influence did Lou have on the design?
The success of the future Wainman will be the performance of the kites...if Lou is with it or not.

Look at Best...who bought the kite because of Shannon? The majority bought it because of the 2 for 1 deal...and that's when Best had the biggest market share, plus a kite that full filled the needs of the mass (Waroo).

This is not to discredit Lou or Shannon for what they do/did for the sport!
I think with Wainman kites, a lot of people bought the kite because they believed in him. He was/is a legend in the sport and they believed that he was going to design something solid and revolutionary and people wanted to get behind that. So, in Wainman's case, yeah, I think it made a big difference and I don't see the company continuing without a solid re-investment and marketing push like we see Best doing.

With Shannon, I don't think it mattered. He came from wakeboarding and at the time most kiters maybe didn't know who he was. At least not the newbie kiters who Best marketted to heavily. However, Best came on the scene changing the market with direct sales and low prices. They were the first to bring this new strategy to kiting that we had gotten used to with Dell computers and such...you'd go online, choose your own kite, your color, your own bar, what bag you wanted, etc. This is common now with companies, but they were the first and their prices let anyone start out with a new kite.

Now...since the company was named after him, Shannon's notoriety grew with the Best company. He was at our beaches demoing gear with the Best bus and the Best girls and did a lot of work marketing the brand. The company is spending some cash now to move beyond Shannon, bring in a new high tier pro team, and advance their designs. They will succeed.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with Wainman.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Best is also a ubiquitous word that the company can continue to ply as it implies a characteristic with or without a face.

Wainman not so much. You either have Lou or you don't. To carry on a company named after him without him is certainly a challenge in a sport that just isn't that big. Lou was most definitely a big part of the draw and I just can't see a company benefiting from his legend for long without him.

Every time their marketing speak read "we at wainman" it was Lou talking to you. Knowing that isn't the case anymore and in light of Franz and now Bert moving on, its really a question of who exactly is the "we" and do they inspire any confidence that the gear hence forth is built or performs to the standards of legends like Lou, Franz, Bert and Nico?
Last edited by Starsky on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1812
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Agree completely, you said better what I was trying to say to begin with. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”