Gear: Cabrinha Vector 12m
Cabrinha Drifter 9m
Naish Haze
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

When to switch to a waist harness

Postby KitingT-rex » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:47 pm

I have been surfing for a long time, when kitesurfing caught my attention it was the wave riding discipline that interested me the most. Right now I have only ridden my twintip. Soon I want to start riding my old shortboard in combination with my kite. I still only have used my seat harness.

My questions are:

1. Should I keep using the seat harness untill I get comfortable with riding my surfboard or buy a waist harness as soon ass possibe? (I've read waist harnasses are better for waveriding)

2. Which waist harness works wel for waveriding?

3. I am interested in sliding spreader bars in particular the dakine sliding spreader bar, can anybody recommend a waist harness which goes well with this spreader bar.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: When to switch to a waist harness

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:06 pm

KitingT-rex wrote:I have been surfing for a long time, when kitesurfing caught my attention it was the wave riding discipline that interested me the most. Right now I have only ridden my twintip. Soon I want to start riding my old shortboard in combination with my kite. I still only have used my seat harness.

My questions are:

1. Should I keep using the seat harness untill I get comfortable with riding my surfboard or buy a waist harness as soon ass possibe? (I've read waist harnasses are better for waveriding)

3. I am interested in sliding spreader bars in particular the dakine sliding spreader bar, can anybody recommend a waist harness which goes well with this spreader bar.
-------------------

1. Just start riding with you present harness, as the most important thing is to "know" the gear you use, when you jump on a surfboard :thumb:

2. All of them - dont worry about that (but seat harnesses works well too, and better than waist for some, for waveriding - althoug most prefer waist)

3. When you mention question #3, then #1 and #2 is obsolete - as it seem like you WANT a new harness with a sliding spreader bar - so maybe better to get one now, and practice on your TT, before you ride on your shortboard :rollgrin:

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:25 pm

t-rex really no way to tell if u will like a waist harness better, you have to try it. Harnesses are dirt cheap compared to kites and boards my advice just go out and buy yourself one of them dakine harnesses with the sliding spreader bar. If you don't like it you are not out too much money and you will be able to understand what you like better. As for which waist harness is best for the sliding spreader, they are like blue jeans there no "best" just a harness which fits your particular body shape.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 am

theres no point using a seat harness unless you have a bad back or something

switch whenever you feel like it

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 am

KitingT-rex wrote:I have been surfing for a long time, when kitesurfing caught my attention it was the wave riding discipline that interested me the most. Right now I have only ridden my twintip. Soon I want to start riding my old shortboard in combination with my kite. I still only have used my seat harness.

My questions are:

You could make a switch anytime you feel comfortable. Waist harnesses are defiantly more popular than a seat. Keep in mind the hook height of most waist harnesses will be higher than a seat. It might feel awkward at first.
Any waist harness will be good for wave riding. Most companies, Dakine, Mystic Prolimits NP Surf etc ( basically all the ones we sell..lol) have several models and price points. Your paying for proprietary attachment systems(Mystic Clicker bar) for example. Each company has a set of features that might or might not be important for your needs. Obviously, if you can try some on, they all fit a little different .
I have spent a fair amount of time using the Dakine Pyromaniac which is a dedicated wave harness with the sliding spreader bar. I like the action of the bar. It has smooth movement and does not move around super fast. I found the Dynabar very fast moving and for me required more time to get use to the feeling. It is a very good product. The Dakine belt is replaceable and has been beefed up this season with kevlar I believe to reduce wear. It will fit with any harness,single or double strap using the Dakine buckles.

:thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 am

dyyylan wrote:theres no point using a seat harness unless you have a bad back or something

switch whenever you feel like it
There is no point using a waist harness, unless you are a smuck wannabee hipster and dont know nothing :naughty:

Keep your seat for as long as you feel like it, or forever 8)

8) Peter

Bob Marley
Frequent Poster
Style: Jumps and waves
Gear: Small c kites that don't have bridles and no 5th line. Epoxy surfboards.

Postby Bob Marley » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:22 am

After you grow some balls you will be ready. :bye:

Wiski23
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt. Shred
Style: Wake
Gear: Mutiny c kites & slingshot board

Postby Wiski23 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:42 am

How long do children wear nappies?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:20 am

Wiski23 wrote:How long do children wear nappies?
Amazing lack of knowledge and experience what works how :roll:

I assume many of those answering like this here are wearing boardshorts OVER their wetsuit, while they have a waist harness up above the shorts ?
Hilarious, and how cool is that ? :lol2:

8) Peter

PS: I am using a waist myself almost entirely, but changes to a seat occasionally, but that is beyond the point - just to clarify I dont look at my own bellybutton like most apparently does here....

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 am

Seat for over-powered huck-fests, waist the rest of the time.
Seat, pull the shorts up like Cletus; waist, go gangsta...

Return to “Kitesurfing”